• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help with my rear diff fluid change

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
Ok what gives? I bought some lucas gear oil, and went to change my fluid on my 9". Only one problem, how come the drain plug is located near the botttom of the 3rd member??? that doesnt seem right (cause its the only one found)and I cant find another?? confused, here are some pics...Ty in advance

Attachments

• rear end 001.JPG
    rear end 001.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 64
  • rear end 002.JPG
    rear end 002.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 63
  • rear end 003.JPG
    rear end 003.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 59

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You have to add your own drain plug.

Attachments

• Bronco 034.jpg
    Bronco 034.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 160

70_Steve

Old Guy
You have to add your own drain plug.
Yeah, kinda sucks Ford never put a drail plug in the 9". But as Viperwolf1 says, it'e easy enough to add your own drain plug. I seem to remember a couple different threads on this subject, with pics of different implementations. Mine is done line Viperwolf1's. 1/8" NPT plug is sufficient.

kaw550

Bronco Guru
Is that hole drilled into the housing or just the diff cover?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is that hole drilled into the housing or just the diff cover?

Here's a pic of the other side. It actually goes through both. The housing is folded there and the cover is welded on top of that. It's at least 3/8" thick at that point.

Attachments

• Bronco 029c.jpg
    Bronco 029c.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 147
OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
You need to pick the car up & turn it on it's side for it to drain out.

come on over and help, weather's great and I have a cold six pack......I am going to open it, pump the fluid out and add a drain later PIA.....I guess when I get the 3rd rebuilt(swap the 3.50 for 4.10+)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
come on over and help, weather's great and I have a cold six pack......I am going to open it, pump the fluid out and add a drain later PIA.....I guess when I get the 3rd rebuilt(swap the 3.50 for 4.10+)

be sure and lay down some cardboard so you don't mess up the paint while laying in over;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Cuz you spend so much time on here?

thought this was the place where all the brains and new tech stuff was, guess i was wrong on that:p
oh yeah what's that saying something about calling the kettle black;D

Oatmeal

You could pull an axle shaft and use a siphon pump to get the old lube out. I also like filling the rear end through the axle end;) ---------Hans

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I always pulled the pinion housing off to drain a 9" until I could put in a drain plug. It comes off easily, doesn't change any rear end settings, and seals with an o-ring. The o-ring will last through several oil changes. Lots easier and less messy than some of the methods suggested by my brilliant brethern here.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
They make pumps to pull the oil out. You can get them at most auto parts stores. Works better if the oil is warm (less viscous).

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
They make pumps to pull the oil out. You can get them at most auto parts stores. Works better if the oil is warm (less viscous).

Pumps won't get the water on the bottom. I drain mine every year after trout season water crossings. Water is the biggest issue with gear boxes.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Pumps won't get the water on the bottom. I drain mine every year after trout season water crossings. Water is the biggest issue with gear boxes.

Neither will pulling off the pinion housing. The bottom of the diff housing sits lower than that. And you are right, for small amounts of water, a pump won't get every drop. But, water is a fluid as well and pumps quite nicely.

But, I agree with you. If I do a lot of water crossings, I usually yank the 3rd member anyway just to have a looksee and make sure everything is ok.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Neither will pulling off the pinion housing. The bottom of the diff housing sits lower than that. And you are right, for small amounts of water, a pump won't get every drop. But, water is a fluid as well and pumps quite nicely.

But, I agree with you. If I do a lot of water crossings, I usually yank the 3rd member anyway just to have a looksee and make sure everything is ok.

I use a rag and a screwdriver to mop up the bottom through the pinion opening. It is still lots easier than pulling axles and the third member just to change the oil.