• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with stripped spindle threads

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'm scratching my head on this one. This weekend I found a full size Bronco at the local pick-n-pull that I was going to pull the hubs and rotors off of to use with a Chevy conversion.

I got the locking hub, first spindle nut, and locking ring off, but the second spindle nut just spins on the spindle threads. I tried prying on the rotor as I turned the nut, but no dice. Anyone got any suggestions for getting this off without destroying the hub?

This coming weekend is half price weekend, so it would be great if I could go back and pick these up.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do they allow you to bring your own oxy/actylene torch or use one of theirs? If not, I'd just pull the ball joints and take everything from the knuckle out and then get creative with the 'ol gas axe to remove the spindle and not damage the rotor hub. I would think you should be able to take the spindle bolts first, then the flange from the spindle itself, at which point you should be able to knock the spindle through the inner wheel bearing and out of the hub.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Might try drilling a hole, stepping up in size till almost the width of the nut, and then split it with a sharp chisel. You should then be able to pry it off.

Sweathog

Loc.
Lansing
I like Doyle's idea. A fully charged cordless drill should work.
Wish it was mine about 2 years ago. My wheel bearings were shot along with the stripped spindle threads. I was able to cock the rotor into the knuckle. This gave some room to pry on the back of the nut while it turned a few threads. After a few turns the bearings were trashed enough that the rotor slipped over the nut. Scary eh? Not the reccomended, but if the drill/chisel fails and you don't want the donor hubs' bearings.
Good luck as this does not sound fun.

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
Hey Justin - Try this....have a friend or friends put two prybars behind the rotor directly across from each other and then you use the socket and turn the nut while they pry towards you to put pressure on the nut and it should grab the threads and come off.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I went back today (last day of the sale) and brought my cordless drill like doyle suggested. Worked like a charm to get the spindle nut off, but I still was not able to take the hub and rotor. It all spun freely on the spindle, but the inner bearing race must have been seized to the spindle. The assembly would not budge off the spindle even with the nuts off. The other side came apart without any problems, so I now am short one hub and rotor :mad: