• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help!!!

origbronco

Just got my EB and was driving it around the other night when it started acting up on me. Exhaust sound went from a nice purr to a really low growl with lots of backfires. Its now idling low and wants to stall out everytime I try to pull out in 1st gear. It runs almost as though its being deprived of fuel or something. It's a 302 V8 with 3 on the column. New to this whole thing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
You are on the right track.
Do all of the standard tune up type checks first.
Spark plugs, wires, timing, points, fuel filter, etc..

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Could be any of the standard tuneup items, but I'd look at your points first. If you're still running points (and damned it I can think why you'd want to), check for pitting and dwell. If it was running good before and started running like poop, I'd look at evil mechanical points... and THEN, check the fuel filter!

That said, a tune up is ALWAYS a good idea!

bptommy

Loc.
Arlington, TX
like others have said check points, distributer cap, rotor (if its dirty at all replace) wires, plugs, and coil...;D

nmgearguy

Any chance your distributor retaining bolt came loose? Sound like timing to me too.