• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hey newbie, dont be cheep

photobyjj

Loc.
Los Angeles
note to self..when fixin' your tank...buy new lines, new tanks, new filters.. be patient...

JJ do not just "tweker" fix the problem so you can drive your bronco around LA and try to be cool..if you do "tweker" fix the rig will break down on the 2 freeway with your girl in it.. you will than be on the side of the rode with your quick start..

DONT BE CHEEP, BUY THE PARTS THAT THE BOARD TOLD YOU TO BUY...

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Ahh I remember those days, I don't miss them. Eventually we all learn (some faster than others) to "do it once and do it right".

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Ahh I remember those days, I don't miss them. Eventually we all learn (some faster than others) to "do it once and do it right".

I learned that on my 69 camaro when I was 18. After 15 or 16 times, I started to clue in.

Also learned "since you're working in that particular area anyway, go ahead and replace old parts before they break." My wife wanted to know why I was replacing the water pump while I was supposed to be replacing all the PS pieces. "Oh, just trust me. Now is the time!"

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
Same here, If your in the area, spend a few more bucks and replace all pieces involved. Hell I even replaced my starter when I put headers on my 79 F150 4x4 just because I didn't want to mess with it later. I'de rather spend the $35 now and not have to take everything apart again, especially headers.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Yep, ask Mountainguy about the same thing. New motor and everything else all new under the hood except for a starter and solinoid. Take a wild guess what let him and his girl stranded a couple weeks later.

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
Hey Obscure just a little FYI on the headers, I don't know if you know it but some headers are straight off the block and some angle back. The set I had on my Bronco were angled back and the plugs were straight out and if you wanted to change plugs you had to remove the starter. needless to say they are now in the corner of my shop.Never to be used again.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Hey Obscure just a little FYI on the headers, I don't know if you know it but some headers are straight off the block and some angle back. The set I had on my Bronco were angled back and the plugs were straight out and if you wanted to change plugs you had to remove the starter. needless to say they are now in the corner of my shop.Never to be used again.

These are the headers I'm thinking about: HEADERS

cobralee

Loc.
Northwestern OK
heddman headers

I just bought my `71 Bronco and I was told it has Heddman headers on it. They are long tubes but I am not exactly sure what kind of coating they have on them. I know that the coating is silver and it is flaking off. I'm not trying to discourage your from getting Heddmans cause I like mine I just thought you might want to know this before you purchase the headers you spoke of. I know I would.

Attachments

• Heddman Headers2.JPG
    Heddman Headers2.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 30

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
Nice choise in headers. Definately look at the warranty about the coating, (jet coating is best) The long tube headers are a good choice, just watch how low they hang down. Good price too especially with the coating.( if lifetime warrantied) I am going to look into those for myself when the time comes. Shoot me a pic of the finished install. The headers on mine were for angled plugs, maine has straight plugs ( it amazes me what some people do!)

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
I disagree. There's finesse in knowing what to dole out the cash for and what to keep on the cheap.

And if you have a new-to-you EB, it's gonna leave you stranded every now and then until you go through the whole thing. I always say that it has to earn my trust. So far, Dixie is a big fat liar!

bannind

Same here, If your in the area, spend a few more bucks and replace all pieces involved. Hell I even replaced my starter when I put headers on my 79 F150 4x4 just because I didn't want to mess with it later. I'de rather spend the $35 now and not have to take everything apart again, especially headers.

Have to be careful that the 'while I am here' method doesn't crawl up and bite you in the *ss. Fixing something else, since you have some other associated parts off, has a way of snowballing real quick. Something like a starter while having headers off is a cheap and easy one - no problem. My last 1 week project turned into a 6 month project that only got back on the road 2 weeks ago. All because I got greedy 'while I was there'.

Just something to consider - especially if your wife or signifcant other isn't so understanding with on-going projects.:p

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
When I got my Bronco, just fixing enough to get it to drive. And after several tows how from friends and a tow truck I just decided to build it right. It now cycles between the garage and play toy in yearly cycles. Out for a year and loving it, in for a year getting built up better. Right now I am stretching the wheelbase, moving the engine, full tube body, performance motor and trans parts, etc. I am hoping by the fall to have it wheeling again!

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
4x4 I agree with you to a point. yes as a knowledgable mechanical person ( which most EB owners are ) You should have some common sence items that you just don't need to change when doing repairs. But some are cheap enough it just makes sence. For instance, when I installed a set of headers, my starter was working fine but, If it went bad I would have to break the header seal and have a possible exhaust leak, which in turn would mean new gaskets, and having to fight with the exhaust system. So common sense told me time wise to change out the $35. starter for "insurance".
same thing when I changed my timing chain at 60K. I replaced my water pump as well just because it was burried by other parts, it looked and worked fine but if im there, and it's time consuming to change it later why not do it while im in there.
Maybe I am too picky, but! I have never been stranded on the side of the road yet with any car I have had, I have been driving for 20+ years and have had quite a few vehicles, mostly from the 50's and 60's (maybe they were just built better then new cars)

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Nice choise in headers. Definately look at the warranty about the coating, (jet coating is best)

Oh yeah, meant to add "Hedman Hedders warrants their Street Headers against defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. This includes tube cracks, bad welds, warped flanges, etc. In addition, the HTC ceramic coating utilized on Hedman's ceramic-coated headers is warranted for 5 years from the date of purchase against chipping, peeling, fading, discoloring, and rusting."