• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HID head lights for bronco

seedubau

Forgive me if this is posted somewhere else but the forum wont search HID. So Im wondering if its posible and if anyone has done an HID conversion to their bronco. Im really interested in this conversion as the stock halogens dont provide very adequate lighting and I cant run off road lights on the street.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Been done with varying degrees of success. Hard part is getting something that has a good enough pattern with a good cutoff so it can be run on the street without blinding the owls in the trees. I do not have a magic recipie book for that one. Key is to get everything to work together. A good reflector (which few of the aftermarket eBay one are) and a light that places the kernal of light in the right place is the magic. Any 16 year old can rig a set of bulbs into a housing that will do a good job blinding Bambi, from the drivers seat they will be great. You will see everything. Nobody coming toward you will ever see anything ever again either.

So choose carefully and be prepared for a little experimenting to get stuff right.

Sylivina once made a set that would fit a Bronco. Complete housing, bulbs, everything and all engineered correctly as well.

Speedway motors has a set listed in there catalog (I hate the look of them) that have a warning that it takes a very deep headlight bucket to fit them, expect to cut metal away for them to work.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
got HID's on my truck. i don't like my lenses though, the clear lenses don't have a good light spread. they're bright though!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0913.JPG
    DSCF0913.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF0914.JPG
    DSCF0914.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0915.JPG
    DSCF0915.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 81

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A few years ago I was selling HID conversions from a company down in Industry, CA. using the product name Eagle Eye.
The company was known as a budget (as in cheap) Chinese import company, but hired an ex-Sylvania engineer and was doing conversions in-house that were, although not strictly legal, at least adhering to DOT standards so as to not blind oncoming traffic with a visible arc or bad focusing. Adding shields as needed and positioning the bulbs at the proper depth for whatever lamp they were fitted into.
You could even get the 50 watt upgrades for off-road action if the 35 watters weren't bright enough for you.

Not sure if they ever came out with a shallow conversion version that would easily fit the Bronco buckets, without modification, but they might have. Would be worth looking into anyway. Assuming they're still in business.
Lots of competition in the last ten years or so, but they were one of the first to start offering less expensive alternatives. Even then though, they were still coming in at the $500 mark for a pair.

Jenn Fang Co, was the company name, even though the lights were sold under the Eagle Eye name. Might have something worth looking into.

Paul

thunderbolt

Loc.
Concord, NC
NPD has a xenon h4 conversion listed in their catalog and the picture looks almost like a factory bulb instead of the all clear euro thing. It uses a replaceable h4 bulb like the newer cars. I just saw them the other day, and NPD is right down the road from me, gotta go check it out.

thumper

Loc.
Bountiful, Utah
Doesn't BC Broncos sell the headlight conversion kit still? Put them in my beast a few years back and have never had to replace the bulbs yet and they are pretty bright!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Chuck just posted a few weeks ago that he's dropped them for the time being. Something about their not fitting the buckets exactly, and a customer service issue as well. Or something to that effect. Can't remember exactly.
They were Delta brand lights.

Those, and the lights thunderbolt mentioned, are H4 syles though. The H4's work great (in some cases anyway), but seedubau is looking for HID conversions instead.

Unless you're just looking for any upgrade that's better than stock? Would that be acceptable too seedubau? Or are you only going to go big, with HID's?
Lots of great H4's out there. You can search the forum for H4 and probably get a "veritable plethora" of hits on that!

Paul

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I considered going with some type of HID kit for in my Hella H4 lights. I decided against it because most of the kits are low beam only, low beam HID-high beam halogen or use some type of not very reliable mechnism to move the HID around to the high beam position.

Now reading that there probably would have also been other issues, I am really glad I decided to stick with some halogen 80W low/100W high beam bulbs. The Hella lights have a rasor sharp cutoff to them so I don't even blind anybody with my 80W lows. Especially compared to all of the missaligned headlights on the other cars on the road.

Deano

Bronco Guru
WH sells H4 IPF that put a good beam of light. I like them alot .