• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horn no workie...

viperchief

Loc.
Layton, Utah
Anyone wire up a horn button to bypass the steering wheel? Maybe a dash mount button? I need to register the Bronco and can't get the horn to work at the steering wheel. Last year the shop I took it to for the safety insp passed it without the horn because even they couldn't get it to work. %)

blubberfet

I have the same problem and I think it is because of the rag joint. Try a jumper from one side to the other side to see if that works.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your '76 should have the little relay on the passenger side panel. Is it fully hooked up and functioning? The wire to the wheel button only completes the ground circuit, so you can test that stuff fairly easily.
There should be a large Yellow wire with a fusible link running from the relay to the starter relay/solenoid where it gets it's power.
Next there is a Yellow w/green wire that goes to the horn itself.
Then a Black w/yellow wire goes up to the horn button.
The relay itself must be bolted to the fender (for a ground) for anything to work.

Some tests might include:
Run a wire from the battery to the horn directly, just to make sure that it's still capable of working.
At the connector to the steering column, tap a wire into the Black w/yellow wire and run to ground. Each time you ground it, you should hear a click from the relay. You should be able to hear it from the passenger compartment, but if not, have a helper listen and/or feel the relay for the clicking.
With an electrical tester, make sure there is power all the time from the Yellow wire. You can pull the triangular shaped rubber connector off of the relay and push the probe right into the socket there.

Good luck.

Paul

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
rag joint has nothing to do with it.no fuse,no fuseable link.ckeck relay first then connection at stearing wheel then at horn.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I used my washer +V to operate my horn "temporarily" once.
Push the dash knob to squirt washer fluid and the horn honks. The wire is right there too.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Wiring is always easier with pics.

Attachments

• horn5.JPG
    horn5.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 49

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
rag joint has nothing to do with it.no fuse,no fuseable link.ckeck relay first then connection at stearing wheel then at horn.

a jumper wire around the rag joint made my 74 work after I had changed the steering gear.

OP
OP
viperchief

viperchief

Loc.
Layton, Utah
Your '76 should have the little relay on the passenger side panel. Is it fully hooked up and functioning? The wire to the wheel button only completes the ground circuit, so you can test that stuff fairly easily.
There should be a large Yellow wire with a fusible link running from the relay to the starter relay/solenoid where it gets it's power.
Next there is a Yellow w/green wire that goes to the horn itself.
Then a Black w/yellow wire goes up to the horn button.
The relay itself must be bolted to the fender (for a ground) for anything to work.

Some tests might include:
Run a wire from the battery to the horn directly, just to make sure that it's still capable of working.
At the connector to the steering column, tap a wire into the Black w/yellow wire and run to ground. Each time you ground it, you should hear a click from the relay. You should be able to hear it from the passenger compartment, but if not, have a helper listen and/or feel the relay for the clicking.
With an electrical tester, make sure there is power all the time from the Yellow wire. You can pull the triangular shaped rubber connector off of the relay and push the probe right into the socket there.

Good luck.

Paul

I had already changed the relay and the horn does work with power applied directly. I think the problem might be at the steering wheel. Think I'll take it all apart again...

chase8266

Loc.
vegas/slc/medford,OR
if you guys are having a problem with the rag joint ground, i think all you really need to do(what you should do) is ground out your bronco from the battery.with battery cables or ground straps.should have good connections from the(battery to the engine and to the body)it dosnt matter what sequence

OP
OP
viperchief

viperchief

Loc.
Layton, Utah
Well, looked over the wiring/relay, horn - all good to go. Took the steerring wheel apart then put it back together and viola, I have a horn again. The catch is that there is a "sweet" spot at about the 2 o'clock position on the horn button that you have to press to get it to work. Oh well. Good enough to pass inspection!

first timer

i'm in the same boat. i get a clicking at the relay when i push the button, but no honk! is it the horn itself?