• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horrific First Bronco Experience NEED HELP San Diego

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
no smoke from the exhaust...

That's a "hopeful" sign, along with the fact that it seems to run well, that your problems could be limited to the heads. Here's hoping... ;)

OP
OP
horhay25

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
That's a "hopeful" sign, along with the fact that it seems to run well, that your problems could be limited to the heads. Here's hoping... ;)

thinking positive thoughts! Gonna take it in today to a shop here in Encinitas called Keith's automotive..Looks like he (keith) owns a "shop" EB and a mechanic owns another one. So at least he'll be familiar with the truck...and maybe extend an EB discount!!??

hmm...wonder if he's on this site...

Adarcy

thinking positive thoughts! Gonna take it in today to a shop here in Encinitas called Keith's automotive..Looks like he (keith) owns a "shop" EB and a mechanic owns another one. So at least he'll be familiar with the truck...and maybe extend an EB discount!!??

hmm...wonder if he's on this site...

I know Keith and his son Eric well. They run a great shop, but do more electrical work. If they can't diagnose it for you they'll be able to point you in the direction of someone who can.

OP
OP
horhay25

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA

Just got back from the repair shop..guy told me he's had worn motors do this and said i might want to add some engine restore oil additive and run it for a bit..see if it clears up..if not he'll run a compression/leak down test...

Guy seemed solid and knew his stuff, so I'm thinking of trying this route for a couple days.

Since I just bought this and don't know what the hell oil the guy used in it before..my question is what type oil should i use for my sickened engine??

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm still calling pinched ring.

Won't disagree with that. A 5.0 HO that I recently refreshed and installed in son's '76 looked pristine, inside and out, when we bought it (condition unknown..supposedly a running takeout) ) but it had horrendously low compression. Cause turned out to be almost entirely due to carbon-locked rings.

Cheap rebuild. ;)

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since I just bought this and don't know what the hell oil the guy used in it before..my question is what type oil should i use for my sickened engine??

What kind of oil pressure is it showing?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
40 idle. 60 rev

That tends to indicate that the crank and cam bearings are all fine....NOT what you would expect from a worn out motor. My money is on the heads; as someone who has rebuilt literally hundreds of them for stock and performance both..its still amazing to me what laymen/amateur builders or just lazy mechanics will overlook or let slide when it comes to heads. The former often because they don't know any better....the latter because they underbid a job or were just lazy. Some of the aftermarket aluminum heads had known reliability issues with the valve guides..

OP
OP
horhay25

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
That tends to indicate that the crank and cam bearings are all fine....NOT what you would expect from a worn out motor. My money is on the heads; as someone who has rebuilt literally hundreds of them for stock and performance both..its still amazing to me what laymen/amateur builders or just lazy mechanics will overlook or let slide when it comes to heads. The former often because they don't know any better....the latter because they underbid a job or were just lazy. Some of the aftermarket aluminum heads had known reliability issues with the valve guides..

After warm. .25

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You should ascertain whether the cam is a roller or a flat-tappet kind. If a roller then you don't have any specific oil needs (other than just a good oil of proper weight).
If it's a flat-tappet though, you will want one of the specific oils for older engines that have more zinc or zinc substitutes in them.
The cam lobes are the most stressed out point of pressure in an engine usually, so having that extra zinc as a wear reducer can save an engine.

Paul

PaveBronco

Good Grief... we can talk about this for days, you need a Compression and Leak down test STAT…, easy to do the compression test yourself, prob can get the gage on the free loan a tool at a local parts store. Post the numbers when you’re done.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Stop calling it a car... Compression and leakdown test ASAP

Last edited:

70 Steed

Good Grief... we can talk about this for days, you need a Compression and Leak down test STAT…, easy to do the compression test yourself, prob can get the gage on the free loan a tool at a local parts store. Post the numbers when you’re done.

X2 I'm surprised the mechanic would recommend changing the oil and not just do a compression check and leak down test immediately.

Just do it!

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
I can't believe a mechanic said to "just put some restore in it". Seriously!? Nothing is rattling, oil pressure seems good, and it has lots of power. Why would you think the motor is worn out? Again I'm calling pinched ring or yes builder could have lined up all ring grooves on 1 piston to create this blow by. Realized it and rather than pull the engine back apart to fix added a long piece of hose off the breather.