• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How "bad" are LTB's on the street?

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Anyone running Super Swamper LTB's and drive regularly on the street? Just how bad (noisy, rough, poor ride, etc...) are they? I'm really looking for someone to talk me out of buying these for a 90% street rig (they just look soooooo cool)!

willtel

Pretty bad. They flat spot like crazy when they sit and you have to get some heat in them before they round out. The roar is really loud and wet traction isn't great.

But they do look cool.

'77 Bronco by willtel, on Flickr

This is mine at ~65 with zero insulation or carpet and a hardtop.
[youtube]9SJ95X-Wk88[/youtube]

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
But they do look cool.

This is mine at ~65 with zero insulation or carpet and a hardtop.
[youtube]9SJ95X-Wk88[/youtube]

First off they look SUPER COOL!!! I have always admired your bronco!

Second, that video can't be just the tires... You have to have full headers and some loud a$$ mufflers. Seriously, how much of that is the tires?

And most importantly, would you give up the look/off road capabilities those swampers give you? You obviously choose and keep them for a reason. Thanks for the input. I'm not building a daily driver, but I don't want to hesitate to drive it daily.

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Nice looking bronco willtel! I would think if you did a lot of high way travel, like in the video, you may not want. If you've got a 5 mile commute across town and 35mph speeds I would think it would be worth the great looking tires.

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
That's my dilemma. Until I start driving it, I'm not sure how much I'll be driving it. But I built it to be driven. I also have the advantage of undercoating, racket jacket, carpet padding/insulation and carpet. I also plan on running no top most of the time. In addition, I have a 1500 watt stereo, but I'm still afraid of the LTB's. I'd like to take this rig camping (60-300 miles with the family) without everyone (i.e. my wife) complaining every 5min about the ride/noise. I'd also like to drive it cross country at some point, but I can always buy another set of tires for that.

I really want them, I guess I'm just SCARED of the HARSH realities!:-[ Lol

Last edited:

ghost66

Bronco Guru
They do look cool and handle ok in my opinion just loud on the road, I have them on my Ranger. Would prefer street tires

crankman

If your funds are there get the LTBs put them on some rims use them when your going offroad and keep another set of some nice radial AT for long highway drives. I have another set of the old style Coop mud grips that I throw on when i feel the need rest of time in on some smooth radial MT that make the ride nice. :cool:

willtel

First off they look SUPER COOL!!! I have always admired your bronco!

Thank you!

Second, that video can't be just the tires... You have to have full headers and some loud a$$ mufflers. Seriously, how much of that is the tires?

That is true. It has shorty headers, 2.5" 2-into-1 exhaust and a Magnaflow round muffler which is too small. I will take it out this weekend and run it up to about 60 and drop it into neutral to get you a video of what the tires sound like without the engine noise. Stay tuned.

And most importantly, would you give up the look/off road capabilities those swampers give you? You obviously choose and keep them for a reason. Thanks for the input. I'm not building a daily driver, but I don't want to hesitate to drive it daily.

That is hard to say. Mine has only been off road once since I put those on and the tires were great. The down side is that i live in Atlanta and I have to drive at least 100 miles to legally put a tire on the dirt. I love the look of the Swampers when they are fresh but hate how they look when they get worn out. I'm not sure what I will do when these need to be replaced or if Interco will even offer them then.

IMG_4787 by willtel, on Flickr

Nice looking bronco willtel! I would think if you did a lot of high way travel, like in the video, you may not want. If you've got a 5 mile commute across town and 35mph speeds I would think it would be worth the great looking tires.

At about 45-50 mph it is perfect. It cruises great there and it isn't too noisy. Once you get around 60+ it starts to get loud. I balanced mine with 10oz of Dyna Beads per tire. If you push it past the 75mph mark it seems to plane out and is really smooth but the engine is then spinning at about 3100rpm and thinking about emergency braking from that speed is scary.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure how the LTB's compare to the Irok's I have as far as noise and ride, but my Irok's aren't too bad on the road at 60 mph. I have put a couple hundred road miles on them driving to work. I have heard that most super swamper tires wear out really fast on the road as compared to an AT tire but don't know that for sure from my own experience. I knew guys with the Thornbird tires that wore them out with only 10-15,000 miles on the road.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I ran a set for a summer before I got tired of them and sold 'em. Yes, they look cool as heck on a luber, but I found they almost took 25 miles before they even started warming up, smoothing out, and riding nice. Went back to my BFGs. Broncojohn on here bought my set when I sold them and I think they lasted about just as long for him on his luber before he ditched them.
They weren't super loud for me, but I didn't care for the daily driver ride. My 2 cents.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Couple pics of them on my rig and John's.

Attachments

• pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Broncojohn luber.jpg
    Broncojohn luber.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Broncojohn luber 2.jpg
    Broncojohn luber 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 72

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I loved these tires, drove on them, sounded like angry bees, but still, loved em. Left big angry ultra black burnouts too!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
They are LOUD!!!! My brother inlaw has a set on his Jeep an the thing rides like the tires are square until they warm up and that could take 10-15 miles. They are really good off road but I found the sidewalls to be really stiff.

Krawlin5

Sorry to hi jack thread but how much lift is on the green luber or John's Bronco?

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I had a set on a jeep I drove daily. They were punishing to your ears. I would urge you to something else if you plan on having a conversation with anyone in the truck with you.