• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you seal off the dipstick tube hole?

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
How do you guys seal off your dipstick tube? I have tried to hook up my PCV Valve/hose and another hose from my valve cover to my air cleaner and I lose lots of oil. Most of it comes out the dipstick tube hole and I think some out the rear main seal? I just got the engine back and it is a brand new rebuild. What is causing the pressure to build? I did not have this problem before but I lose oil like crazy now. Thanks

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah I used Ultra Black but there is a small hole still. But it should not be coming out like it is. Hell, most people I know don't even seal it off.

Newt

Take that turkey back to where you got the rebuild. Show it to them & say what now? Just be certain to seperate the BS from the truth.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
I know, I am bringing it back it him Sunday. This has been the biggest nightmare. My truck has been down since June because of this bullsh*t.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I used blue RTV i think on mine, I had this problem a little but thought it was my high volume oil pump.... It reads 100 on my oil gauge )

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
How does the engine run? Did you break it in properly? If not, then maybe the rings didn't seat right and now you are getting excess pressure due to it. If broke it in properly, you shouldn't get so much pressure in the crank case that you have oil spewing out of the dipstick hole. A little oil vapor would probably be ok, but not that much on a rebuild. If you got a warranty on the engine, and they are bastards when you ask them about it, why not 'accidently' let the engine run out of oil and then take it back saying it was always leaking and tell them its their fault for building it improperly. If they don't claim responsibility, file a lawsuit against them and watch how fast they will fix the problem. Personally I would not waste my time trying to seal the dipstick off, you shouldn't have to on a rebuild. <br>-Eric

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah the engine is going back to them today. Actualy, the whole truck is. What a nightmare. I am so sick of my truck being sidelined I am ready to puke. I have been waiting since June for this engine to be built and now corrected. The sad thing is I know this guy, me friend and brother and I have all had engines done by him before. I think I really want to to give him one more chance and then it I am going to ask him for my money or possibly go to court. I am not that type of person but enough is enough.

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
Man, I know what you feel about not having the rig for the summer. Finances and my wifes car conspired against me, and mine has been sitting for 6 months. <br> <br>I am an OK maintenance mechanic, but when it comes to engine rebuild I am clueless. So I am curious here, what is the advantage to sealing the dipstick off? I actually have two running, because the 302 I dropped in the EB out of a 78 granada had a dipstick mounted off the front of the block, and it just wasn't worth it to remove. We took the bronco oil pan off the old motor and it had a dipstick as well. I thought it was a unique situation, but are you talking about sealing one of the two off? Or actually sealing the only one you have off? <br><br>Thanks, Dan

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Hey thanks. I have a 302. I brought it back to the engine builder today so he can look at it. It is leaking from the rear main I think. Since I put the PCV Valve on right it leaks a lot less (pressure?) but I want to have this fixed since I just paid for a new engine. It just makes me mad I guess.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
The dipstick is on the side, 302 truck engine. It just drops into the hole. The oil comes out of it while I am driving. Like I said in the other post, it is a lot less now but it is still coming out. The engine builder said to use Ultra Black to seal it. It sealed mostly but still leaks. I did not know there was that much pressure in the pan to push it out the hole. You know?

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I just read through this post a few times and I was wondering if it has the orginal style EB dipstick tube and dipstick in it, the one that screws into the oil pan. Or, does it have the style that goes in the front cover? Where exactly is it leaking from, the base of the tube or out the top where the stick goes in? I have built many motors and not once have I ever had a problem like this with pressure building up. Can you take a vacuum reading on the engine? That might tell you if they messed up on the rebuild. <br><br>As for the rear main seal, it could have been installed incorrectly and that should be the builders responibility. All two piece rear mains will eventually leak, so I don't expect a completely leak free rear main. On an engine with a one-piece seal, yes, but on a two piece no. How bad is it leaking? Gushing or a drip every once in a while?

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
The dipstick is one that just drops in on the side. It does not screw in. This is the 3rd motor in the truck so it is not orginal anything.<br><br>As far as the vacuum, not sure. I do not understand the pressue thing either. I know the rear mains always leak, my old one did too but this is brand new. It was gushing out when I just had breathers hooked up but is slowly dripping out now with the hoses hooked up. It appears to be coming out at the top of the hole where the dispstick goes in, but I have so much Ultra Black on it I can't tell. <br><br>They originally put the wrong cam in and had to take it apart to put the other one in. I guess I can't figure out how a new rebuild could go so wrong.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If this is a new engine make them do a leak down test. It will point out if the rings didn't seat or if they screwed up and lined up the piston ring gaps all in a line causing all of this blow by. You should not be having all of this pressure. If dip stick tubes needed sealing they would come from the factory with them sealed and they dont. I would take it to another shop for second opinion. Something is wrong and you may have to force the issue.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah I just got off the phone with him. He explained that is needs to be vacumed out with the pcv valve to a vacuum port and then air comes in from the breather I have. That is how I have it now and it seems to be leaking a lot less. He mentioned that the dipstick hole does not have the gasket it should have because they are almost impossible to locate. Therefore, he puts silicone and whatever in there to seal it. Sounds like this may be part of the issue. He thinks the oil is coming out, then flying backwards to the trans bell housing and coming off of their because it is the lowest point to drip once the truck settles. I guess we will see once he seals it.<br><br>I guess a drop or two of oil is a small price to pay but all this time and $... makes you mad I guess. <br><br>Sorry this is so long but I guess missing the whole summer and paying $$ for the engine I just have to let it out. Thanks for all the help<br><br>

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Something still isn't right here. Have you looked into an aftermarket dipstick tube or a Lokar one? I am not sure if they make one for your motor, but it sure would solve alot of problems if they did. You shouldn't have any kind of major leak on a new motor. A drip here and there maybe, but it shouldn't be marking its spot every time you park it. I would be a little chapped like you are too. If they can't fix it once and for all, i would take it to someone else to get another opinion. I wouldn't want my motor all held together with Black RTV either! ?:?

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
This sounds like more than a drop or two of oil. I am running three different ford motors right now in different rigs, and the only one that leaks that bad has 240,000 miles on it. my 302 has about 80,000 miles and it has minimal rear main leaks. This guy needs to make it right! An engine rebuild isn't like buying a starter, and getting disgusted and tossing it, you have to live with this, and your paying good money. Stand tough. I hope it turns out for you. <br><br>Lake Forest, is that on 80 in the Sierras?

Amac70

ME
i've been avoiding this post for some reason but now that i've read it i think you got problems. I just rebuilt my motor (last year) and my side dipstick slides in like yours but mine doesn't leak it all and i have no gaskets or rvt around the tube. I take it out half the time cause its not mounted to anything and i still dont get oil coming out of the hole. i also have no pvc valve hooked up to it either(i have an early style 289 intake and autolite 4100 4 barrel no provisions for pvc vacuum line) i get a little bit of oil vapor coming out of the breather but no oil coming out of it and none comeing out the dipstick tube hole. I would think there is something wrong with that motor to have that much pressure build up happening in the crankcase.