• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How far should the Tailpipe be from the rear tire?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if you offroad and coming down from rocks the closer to the tire the better otherwise you smash the tail pipe into the lower fender. what you got looks good no rub marks on the tire. rear tires don't move back much more of a problem with moving forward. they move up away from the pipe. one of the first thing I bashed in was the tail pipe into the lower fender that compromised the rear corner cap welds and had to be repaired after that I bobbed the lower fender part and moved the exhaust.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And in case you were wondering, you're not worried about heat in that area.
Not only is it the coolest part of the exhaust, but it only gets really really hot back there at higher extended engine speeds. Idling around would not get it hot enough to do harm to the rubber tire even if it was almost touching.
And at that time, your tire is likely rolling anyway, making it impossible to overheat just one point on the tire.

As said then, you have plenty of clearance. Even for the heat.
And if I'm not mistaken, that's pretty darn close to where the factory had part of the pipe, albeit with an extra bend to the rear.

Paul