• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How long has you bronco been out of comission?

How long has your Bronco been apart?

• Total voters

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
I see a lot of posts about people doing frame offs and extensive rebuilds. I'm just curious as to how long your resto's have taken, frame off or not. I started my rebuild, then got married, then had 2 kids. I finally said "enough is enough" and I'm determined to get it back together. My bronco has been apart for 9 years, that's right 9 YEARS. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

There were gaps where I didn't touch the bronco for years at a time. :-[ I was working as a full time mechanic for most of that time, and just couldn't bear to work on another vehicle after work, plus my tools were at the shop. I think the disease has finally caught me, and now I can't wait to work on it.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Your story sounds alot like mine. I started re-doing my Bronco and then my first child was born. Now after to more child I am finally working on it again. I got my bug again a little over a year ago and have been working on it whenever I can find time. It's drivable now I just keep finding new things to do.. I am now going to just get it to a state where I can enjoy it again, then next winter I may do a frame off. My Bronco sat for about 10 years.

snoop_ratm

Loc.
Nashville TN
Just passed the 2 year anniversary of beginning the tear down...of course had problems before that started so I really haven't driven it more than into the shop in more like 3 years.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Two and a half years ago I parked a sputtering rustbucket and started pulling bits off to fix. The next thing you know I've got a basement full of old parts and a bare frame in the garage (and a pissed off wife who wants to park her truck in the garage). This year I made a committment to bring it to a nostalgia days event around July. Guess it's time to get it together.

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
I started taking my 70 Bronco apart for a frame off, then while watching for parts I ran across a 72 Bronco that just needed a motor. I figured I could take the 302 from the 70 and put it in the 72 and have one to drive while doing the frame off on the 70. That was about 2 years ago. I'm driving the 72, but have found enough things to upgrade on it that I haven't gotten started on the 70 again. So it will probably end up being 5 years + before I get the 70 back on the road. Oh the addiction...

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
My Project Infinity is aptly named.
My '77 has been disassembled for 9 years also.
Since I started, I started my own business, got married, had child, built a house, now I'm building a garage for 15 months now. %)
I had the tub blasted and primered - I undercoated it with POR15. The frame wire wheeled and coated with POR15. All stainless brake lines, fuel lines, BC 24 gallon tank,
I just have to find time to finish it.
3 years ago, I bought my '74 to satisfy my Bronco craving, it's my daily driver. I spend spare time tinkering with it.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
I started my '77 in august 2003. Decided to perform a full body off restoration after much debate. I should have had her finished by now but I have to admit I keep changing my mind about what the final should look like. For the most part, all suspension and chassis is complete. Now is time for the body work.

Since I could not find anyone that wanted to do the body restore, I am doing it myself. And loving every minute of it.

In the interium, got a kid on the way and I purchased a '75 Ranger. I'm hooked and there is no turning back.

:D

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
Its been almost exactly 2 years since I started teardown, but when I got it it has a 95 sticker in the windshield, so it hasnt been on the road (legally ;D ) in more than 10

joe

Bronco Guru
my 69 has been stripped down for approximatly 15 years. The frame has been blasted and coated. the tub has all new metal and coated under, primed outer. I got the dfferentials on the frame with new bushings and springs, new brake and gas lines on it. rebult C-4 T-case and probobly four grand in parts on the shelf.The reason I dont have it finished is that I keep buying more to stop the crave of driving one. I think I had a 74 first, then bought a 76 for parts before getting the 69. The 74 litteraly fell apart years latter so I got a 77 to drive then got married. drove the 77 for a few years before it turned into a trail rig. got a 70 with low miles a few years latter cause I had to drive one. got the wife a 73 a few years after that. got the 75 to replace the 77after it fell apart. just got a 72, then the 73 caught fire. so the wife talked me into giving her the 72. hell, If I'da saved all that money and time I'd have one good one instead of four that need work :p Well its been fun ;D

Last edited:

Case

lol joe you tell a good story. ;D
i bought my 72 in 98 and only drove it a hand full of times. then i started to tear it apart. in between i went to college in Nashville, got married, just had a kid, bought a house and some how worked alittle on my bronco. when it gets warm out i will hopefully get more work done on it, and insuate my garage so next winter i can actually work in the winter.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
For me it's been about 8 or 9 years. Started with replacing the rusted frame then one thing led to another. Wound up selling all the drivetrain. In the years I've been working on it I've collected parts either very cheap or thru the barter system. I have a 5.0 out of a 95 Mustang which was free. 435/203/20 setup and ARB'd D60's front and rear, ect, ect. Just need the time and energy to work on it, chasing twin 6 year olds and a 2 year old takes most of my time and energy.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Its been less than a year. August 05 It must be back together by 2/11/07 No exceptions!
Bax

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I started mine the day after Howiepalooza last year and I hope to have it finished before the next one . ;D

Howiebilt

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I will have owned mine for 3 years in March. Bought mine on Ebay, body and paint done, new tires and rims. Took over a 1.5 years to re-wire and rebuild the entire drivetrain. Made it EFI, added power brakes and a whole list of improvements. My oldest is now 5 1/2 yrs and his brother is 3. Allot of little things left to finish, but I drive it a couple of times a week. I rarely see another one on the road, and everyone says positive things about it. Both my Boys tell me they want to drive it when they get old enough. ;D

gladrich

You guys are all men of steel. I bought my 73 back in October of last year and I can't stand not to drive it. I can't imagine having completely torn apart out in the garage for years, it would kill me, unless I had another to drive like Joe! Even with that, I think it is out of commission about 2/3 of the time! Someday I'll get one and do frame off, but for now I am having a great time driving this one and learning about it.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I Feel Better Now

My Running Buddy And I Got One Each ..well His Needed To Be Finished Frist. So His Took About A Year, Wasn't Frame Off But Every Thing Else Was Done Rebuilt Motor Got It Running Then Np435 ..new 4:11 And P/trac Front And Rear, Rebuild Brakes .all The Bearing And Bushing In Front End And Then A Locker In The Front End Complete Paint Job And Body Work Which I Did 85% Of...new Interior ..carb, Old Carb,carb Problems And Seems Like To Many Other Nights Until My Wife Got All She Could Stand ..then I Started On Mine 2 Years And Very Little Help Due To His Job, Not Friendship Problems ....so After That Much Bronco Work.
Mine Has Taken 2 Years And I've Drove It A Little ..then I Came Up With, I Need This And I Need That ...but Since I Live In The Country And Have A Farm Or Ranch I Get To Drive Mine At Times ...needs Inspecting Now ...
No Brake Lights ...but At Least It Runs ....i Pretty Much Did All The Same To Mine ...pa Pitt

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
Feels like 5+ years....
I blew the engine (or rather gave up on it - it had been a V7 for almost a year due to a 1/4" chunk out of the side of a piston) in Jan or Feb '03. Since I was laid off at the time, it was parked and the engine teardown started which then creeped into a full-on assault against rust (I had sheet steel, a welder, and time - but no cash). Then I got a new job, so a brand new engine was put into the works and plans for EFI were made, which creeped into a all new custom wiring harness, and then into a all new suspension, into a all new cage and dash, into a tubed front clip.......
I started to go towards a bobed and dovetailed Bronco, but then my wife and I decided to start trying to have kids, so it went back to a full width Bronco with room for four and gear.....while this was going on for the past two years I've been averaging 60-80 hours per week at work for months on end....

.....If everything works out well, I may be driving it at the end of the month and be ready to wheel it at the end of march....maybe......

Last edited:

screamin reel

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta, Ca
After reading this is sounds as though I am in too big of a rush to get mine done. It's hard to go out to the garage and just look and not pick up a wrench.
I don't think I could ever wait 5 or more years to get it on the road though. Maybe I can string it out for 2 years at least.