• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How Many Horses Do You Need?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bronconate68 said:
I thought the stroked 347s were closer to 400hp.

I would like a lot me horse power and with it a bunch more torque. I'm thinking a 351W stroked to 418ci should do it for me. Add a doubler and I'm really going to have to watch the skinny peddle. I've ran my Bronco at 120mph and had fun doing it. Not sure how it would do now but I would like to test it. It will be hard to make that kind of speed with 4:88s in the diffs.

I think a 347 stoker would be a lot of fun. Good luck, have fun, and enjoy your new toy.

This gets back to the old problem - and arguments - about 'ya can't have , and don't want, both' at the RPM a truck needs/wants. Two examples of peak flywheel numbers from my stable of rigs illustrate this well:

My '68 crawler Oz-408 EFI - 496 ft-lbs @ 3000 RPM, 324 HP @ 4000

Ewww!..says the folks that are incorrectly focusing on HP in a trail rig engine.
Wow!..says the folks that know low-end torque like that is golden.

My '72 EB MX race truck 302 - 405 ft-lbs @ 5500 RPM, 498 HP @ 7500 RPM

Wow!..says the HP junkies

The 302 works well on the motocross track where it stays wide open all the time. But...it puts out a whopping 273 Ft-lbs at 3000 RPM..and is a horrible trail engine accordingly.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
jeffjess72 said:
Thanks for the info so far guys....

This is what my husband is working on as well, along with new AFR heads, "a lumpy cam", headers, four barrell holley double pumper carb. He was gonna buy a rolled bronco with 4:11 's and posi front and rear but the deal fell through. :cry: Belongs to a friend or ours and we know that if he sells it, he will give us a chance first.

Jess

It all depends on what it is to be used for. A "lumpy cam" usually means less low end torque and I don't think he will like the Holley double pumper for off road use. Now if this is a street vehicle then it's a different story.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
daddyg said:
It all depends on what it is to be used for. A "lumpy cam" usually means less low end torque and I don't think he will like the Holley double pumper for off road use. Now if this is a street vehicle then it's a different story.
I would have to agree. Lumpy and Double pumper equate to good quarter mile times but are a bad combination on the trail (and for daily drivers as well). Every once in awhile I see someone on the trails set up like this. The last time it was a Heep with a built Bowtie. It sounded pretty mean with a cam that had a nice big lope in it. It was great entertainment watching him try to get it up through the rocks. He spent more time starting it back up than anything. The real kicker was when we ran down to the highway later in the day for something from the store. We saw them come out of the forest with the Heep on a strap. When we asked them about it they said the starter went out. Geez, I wonder why?;D

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Gummi Bear said:
Good advice.

This coming from the guy with the fire breathing 408... ;D
Yah, I wanna see him try keeping that thing going in a straight line. I bet he does a 360 before he even gets it out of the driveway.:eek: ;D

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
According to the Desktop Dyno, my 347 is making 385 Hp and 401 Ft/Lbs. I like the numbers but they are a little higher up the RPM band than I would have liked. Not complaining though.

OP
OP
jeffjess72

jeffjess72

Loc.
True Northern CA
daddyg said:

Well, we go to SOB almost every year. Spin donuts on the beach. Cruise the dunes. We very rarely go on a little trip in the mountains close to home. But no trails usually. It is more of a street rig but not a daily driver. Put too much money into it to go out a trash it. I'm not saying that we don't like the trail rigs, that's just not what we are into. Now if we had the money I would like to have another bronco that could be for trails and climbing. Til then we have our extra change promised on motor for the bronco and eventually new paint for the mustang;D

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Hopin to see your rig at SOB, mine won't be ready yet, next year definitely. Gotta check out that interior up close, the pics are awesome. I'm gonna have to get the info for that guy that did it for you.
My numbers are supposed to be pretty good, it has the potential to put out some really high HP numbers but chose to use a more torque curved cam since it will be on the street all the time and never see the high RPMs. I am running an early 351w, AFR 185 heads, performer manifold, crower cam (forget the data), KB pistons 10:1, scorpion rollers, edel 600 carb, heddman headers, dual exhaust 40 flows, should end up around 350 hp at the flywheel according to the builder, I think torque was around the same a little higher. Went for a decent balance. Can't wait to get it fired up and see. I'll have to take it in and get it dynoed after a while. When I picked mine up there was a boss351 with cleveland heads that was dynoed and ran about 525 torque on it, holy crap. Don't know what else was in it.

OP
OP
jeffjess72

jeffjess72

Loc.
True Northern CA
14 days, 22 hours, 47 minutes and 32 seconds before we leave for our SOB vacation! Not that I am counting. See you there.

Jess

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
hey jess, i want to start off saying it's wives like you i like. you don't mind it when their man wants to spend a little money on the truck.

i'm running about 348 horses in my truck. when i went out to the 40th in victorville, i found out a lot of power is sometimes needed. i couldn't believe how much deep sand bogged down my truck. i just put my foot in it and had no problems.

a lot of the truck is gearing too. if you're geared right, you can get away with 250 if you want to.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
jeffjess72 said:
14 days, 22 hours, 47 minutes and 32 seconds before we leave for our SOB vacation! Not that I am counting. See you there.

Jess
Noooo...... I have too much to do and too little time to do it.:eek:

mgreen11

Loc.
San Marcos, CA
Sexy indeed

We've all seen the picture...

Now you see what alcohol consumption can lead to.

Krunchy's right - next time use some of this... LOL.

20060801202554_spraytaninacan.jpg

Last edited:
H

Heinz_67

My wife likes to explain the power of our Bronco the same way Robin Williams explained his Genie living conditions in the film "Aladdin".....

PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER......

itty bitty living space!

420 lbs of torque and only 150 hp and it's a 4-banger

Jim