• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much body lift to clear my Transfer case?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
When you do a transmission swap that moves your transfer case back, How much body lift is needed to clear the transfer case? In my situation, the transfer case is going to go back about 2 inches maybe 2 1/4". I can see that I will need a small amount of body lift to do this or else the top of the case is going to fit the tunnel. I think a 1" body lift will be enough but thought I would ask those of you who have already done this.

I tried to take a few photos. Not the best but you can see the area I'm concerned with.

I currently have no body lift and I want to do as little as possible to keep it close to stock height. I'm thinking a 1" body lift will get me as much as an 1 1/2" of lift because my original bushings look like they have flattened out and are shot from 45 years of use.

Attachments

• IMG_4304.jpeg
    IMG_4304.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4305.jpeg
    IMG_4305.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4306.jpeg
    IMG_4306.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4307.jpeg
    IMG_4307.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4308.jpeg
    IMG_4308.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 17

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Can't garantee every application is the same. But when I did the 4R70W swap it moved the D20 back almost 3". I didn't do a body lift, I added a clearance bubble to the floor.

But if I had done a body lift and not cut the floor...
I figured I could have done it with only 1" of body lift. I forget who but I remeber a set of body mounts with a little over an inch of body lift built right in that are made for the Bronco.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
Wild Horses sells new urethane bushings with 1" of body lift built into the bushings. The kit is $110.00 on their website. Sounds like just what might need.
Mark.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Hard to judge in this pic, but I think you'll be fine with the WH 1" lift. Here is mine with it installed and with you moving the t-case back should be plenty of room.

Attachments

• Clearance.jpg
    Clearance.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Great! I was thinking that the Wild Horses 1" kit would be a good choice. My body mounts are shot anyway so replacing them was already on the "To Do" list. I'll only have to fight with half of the original ones because I have had the front two and the two in the floor pans out in the last year. By some miracle, they were not rusted together.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Since you have to move the crossmember just lower it 1" solves the clearance issue and helps with driveline angle.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since you have to move the crossmember just lower it 1" solves the clearance issue and helps with driveline angle.

That tends to put the fan into the top of the fan shroud and push the back of the heads into the firewall (especially with a 351).

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Jeremy's got a 200/C4 so the firewall isn't an issue.

larryejoh

I've got a 200 also and am trying to put a 4 speed OD in it. I'm faced with the same problem with clearance with that rear floor support. I was also thinking of dropping the crossmember down so to clear that support. Actually the way my motor is setting now it looks nose down in relationship to the radiator. If I move my crossmember back should I use some sort of insert in the frame rails to bolt to?