• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to get 302 to 250hp?

is_wiz

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
I currently have a 302, with edelbrock performer intake, 600 carb, and headers.
My plan is to buy a completely rebuilt 302. I want to make about 250hp. But I want it to be a daily driver and not get horrible gas mileage. Given that I want to stay carburated, what do I need to do? New cam? Then what cam would still be everyday/mpg friendly?
Ideas please?

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
According to Edelbrock catolog you should be able to make 300 hp - 310 hp with their Performer Package (heads, cam, intake) on a stock 302 ci motor.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I think application of the skinny pedal is the biggest contributor to poor fuel milage, regardless of how the motor is configured. EBs have poor aerodynamics.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
what he ^ said. Good fuel mileage is for prius owners :)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd go for 9-1 compression and a decent cam similar to the edelbrock performer. That should get you close. better heads either stock or aftermarket will get you there easily.

I run a crane cam similar to the edelbrock specs, TFS heads, hooker headers and a 525 cfm road demon jr carb not sure what my HP is I'd say maybe just over 250. But probably less as most people find out when they get there engines dynoed. Its usually way less than what they believed they were going to get. But it runs great best i can get is 17 mpg on the hiway at 65mph. at 75 it drops to 15-16 mpg. I havent run much at 55 so i cant give you the numbers there but I would expect another solid 17.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
250 flywheel HP is easy.
falt top pistons, mild cam (edelbrock performer or clone grind), decent ignition, intake and exhaust. You can do that easy enough with stock heads.

Now 250 HP at the tires, that is a whole other story. My last 351 had aluminum heads, 11:1 compression and the other typical goodies and only made 250 to the ground. About the same on the stroked 5.0 with a huge cam and a lot more speed parts in the Ranger.

patrickmitton

Loc.
kerby Or.
The easyist way to make horsepower is by useing Roller lifters and roller rockers, 50 HP right there,In conjunction with a decent cam, valve springs,screw in studs, The whole point is to get the engine to spin freely,and to breath without restriction,ie headers,free flow muffler a :cool:little valve work, and of course intake work, from the air cleaner to the intake,take the time to (gasket match)the intake side of the manifold as well...Then you will be well on your way to (make )some horsepower...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A roller cam and lifters do not add a instant 50hp. Take a 94 bronco with a flat tappet cam it made 185 hp and a 94 mustang with a roller cam it made 215 hp so even with the bigger spec'd roller cam of the mustang it didnt make 50 more HP than the broncos flat tappet truck cam.
Roller cams do cut down on friction but the only real gains are from lobe profiles. Roller cams will make more power at high RPM's due to less friction but 50 hp is a pipe dream.
Will a roller cam help sure just not as much as you believe.

lil red

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Comp cams has a program you can download. You input different setups (cams, heads, exhaust, intake, compression, etc.). I am not totally sure that the horsepower and torque estimates are accurate, but it is probably a good comparison from one set up to another.

The numbers the program said I should be making matched what the guy who built mine said I should be getting. And he is in the business of building and racing cars (mainly Fords).

cesco

Now 250 HP at the tires, that is a whole other story. My last 351 had aluminum heads, 11:1 compression and the other typical goodies and only made 250 to the ground. About the same on the stroked 5.0 with a huge cam and a lot more speed parts in the Ranger.

250 to the ground is impressive from a 351.. what size tire? I don't even want to say how much loot I dumped into my 302 and it made somewhere around 75hp to the wheels:eek:...

OP
OP
I

is_wiz

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
Comp cams has a program you can download. You input different setups (cams, heads, exhaust, intake, compression, etc.). I am not totally sure that the horsepower and torque estimates are accurate, but it is probably a good comparison from one set up to another.

The numbers the program said I should be making matched what the guy who built mine said I should be getting. And he is in the business of building and racing cars (mainly Fords).

Thanks for the advice. I checked out their site. The two included below look good to me. What does everyone else think? I have no cam experience. Will these accomplish what I am looking for?
Also I don't want a cam that makes me stall easier.

---------
260HR Hydraulic Roller Lifter Hydraulic Roller-Smallest of the line. Best with stock engine for Street Rod or towing. Stock converter. Smooth idle. Ford 289-302 C.I. 8 cyl. 1963-1995 Magnum™ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, For engines that DID NOT come from the factory with hydraulic roller cams, NOT FOR E.F.I.
---------
270HR Hydraulic Roller Lifter Hydraulic Roller-Mild street performance increase. Slightly noticeable idle. Stock converter. Ford 289-302 C.I. 8 cyl. 1963-1995 Magnum™ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, For engines that DID NOT come from the factory with hydraulic roller cams, NOT FOR E.F.I.
--------

OP
OP
I

is_wiz

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
That comp cams program is great. I'm sure its talking about rear of engine power not wheel and it isn't taking into consideration engine age. And a million other things. but it is representative of various changes you can make. very cool. Thanks for tell me about it.
According to that I'm making 230hp right now. (yea right) but maybe after the mods.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I have one sitting in garage just finished. A little more radical, good street engine, but don't believe it would be good for crawling. PM if interested.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
In reading you Bronco stats it doesnt show what gearing you have but I would get 4:27 gears in it if your sticking with a 302 and 33" tires Even if you rework the engine if your stuck with the factory 3:50 gearing your mileage will suck. Mileage comes from efficency in the lower ranges so you need the most torque you can get up to 3500 rpm.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
In reading you Bronco stats it doesnt show what gearing you have but I would get 4:27 gears in it if your sticking with a 302 and 33" tires Even if you rework the engine if your stuck with the factory 3:50 gearing your mileage will suck. Mileage comes from efficency in the lower ranges so you need the most torque you can get up to 3500 rpm.

While I can agree to a point. Swapping gears from 3.50 to 4.27 wont gain you any mileage unless you run a OD tranny and we dont know what gears or tranny he's running. My 73 with 302. Np435, 33's and 3.50 gears gets better mileage than most broncos I can pull 17 mpg at 65.
But lower gearing does give you back that low end feel and helps up higher as well but it doesnt gain you mileage in most cases. If you run to big of a cam you may need lower gearing or if the tires are bigger than 33's or you have a OD. but normally 33in tires and 3.50 gears are fine and will give you a somewhat free OD effect.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Theres more to mileage that freeway mileage. Proper gearing will get you 11 miles to the gallon around town rather than 6 and how much gas do you spend running under freeway speeds. Combined mileage is far more important to most Bronco owners due to the limited use. Building a motor to run 6,000 rpm with peak torque at 5,000 rpm doesnt make much sence when you never run over 4,000 rpm.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thats why transmissions have gears. Sure if your gearing/tire size is way off you might gain something but really you gain very little in town from lower gearing. I typically get 12-13 around town. Still better than some peoples hiway mileage.