• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to hook my mustang throttle cable

Recko555

I have installed a '89 efi onto my recently rebuilt motor. I thought I did the right research on the throttle cable, but I guess not. I wasn't able to get the throttle cable off the '89 mustang motor, so I got a cable off a newer mustang (don't know exactly year.) When I go to install the throttle cable w/bracket on the EGR eliminator plate, things just don't line up. Maybe I am missing/not seeing something. Also, I don't see how I am supposed to hook up to the butterfly on the throttle cable? I am supposed to hook to the ball stud or in the hole opposite of it? Help me out. Follow the link for pictures of the throttle cable and egr eliminator plate (they are some extra pictures in there too.)

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/...67?a=67b0de21b35b651b84a1&sid=0ActHDVi1bM2L1I

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It connects to the ball.
The round post with ring is for the TV cable on the AOD (if used).

OP
OP
Recko555

Recko555

I don't know if you can see on the pictures, but the end of my throttle cable is like a stud, doesn't have an attachment to hook on the ball stud.

OP
OP
Recko555

Recko555

Not too much feed back. So if you want something done right, you do it yourself.
I went to the junk yard and started going through 5.0 motors. I finally found what I was looking for in a cougar car. To let people know that there are more than one type of throttle cable and they need to get the right one (which I didn't do the first time.) I took pictures of the correct cable and bracket.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b35b211805b0&sid=0ActHDVi1bM2L3A

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Gabe, you must be a pioneer in this application.
Thanks for sharing that info - it will help someone in the future (maybe me ;D ).

OP
OP
Recko555

Recko555

I have been reading how a lot of people modify the gas pedal by removing the ball stud, drilling the hole bigger, and turning the rod so you can use the exsisting throttle cable adjustment. I am going to buy a throttle cable adapter end, that hooks to the exsisting ball stud and attaches to the cable by a set screw (have to cut the pedal side of the throttle cable). Seems a lot simpler way, except for having to buy the adapter. I will take pictures of the set up when I can (it'll be awhile).