• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to plumb an Edelbrock E-Street EFI return line

Mazeing

I have an Edelbrock E-Street 3600 EFI system that I originally bought with the Fuel Sump system but the sump has caused me nothing but problems and I am planning to replace it with a 23 gallon rear tank with an EFI return line but don't know what all is needed.

I'm looking at either the Tom's Bronco Parts 23 Gallon Tank with internal pump or Wild Horses 23 Gallon Tank but would have to buy the external pump.

My question is how do I plumb the fuel system so that there is a return line to the tank?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The aftermarket tanks have return line provisions - otherwise you can tap into one of the multiple vents or simply plumb into the fuel filler neck.

OP
OP
Mazeing

Mazeing

The tanks I'm looking at already are already plumbed for the return line. My problem is I'm not sure where the return line is coming from. I know that there is a line that goes from the tank forward and that it goes to the throttle body but I'm not sure where the return line comes from. There aren't any ports on the throttle body.

Sorry if this is a basic question but I've never dealt with anything but carburetors in the past.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Is the system return-less? What does their website / instructions say?

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
I 've never seen a TB with a return line...

I'm not a mechanic..so there may be a version that has one...

Fuel rails are compatible with return lines...

Aloha

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I 've never seen a TB with a return line...

Then you have not dealt with the aftermarket systems from the likes of Holley etc for the last 20+ years. I have.Do try to be helpful.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When you take the sump thing out there will be 2 lines attached to the throttle body. The feed that will have the fuel pump pushing fuel to the injectors. The other line comes off the pressure regulator and was returning to your sump. That line now goes to the return fitting on the tank. It does a complete loop. Tank, pump, injectors, regulator, back to tank.

This is typical of older EFI, pre 2000 ish. and most aftermarket EFI. Single feed EFI has the regulator at the tank and the return is internal to the tank. You never see it. All you see is a single feed line. This is how most modern factory EFI is handled. There is at least one aftermarket EFI that runs like this as an option.

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
bmc69 - Your point is well taken...

My apologies to the OP...

Too many beers, not enough thought...

Now...off to get another cold one!

CHEERS!!!

Aloha

KeithKinPhx

I did a video of the BC Broncos 23 gallon tank install. Search Rising Phoenix Bronco. I show all the lines returning to the tank, etc. It does have a supply, return, fill and vent connection. Hope it helps. It us why I put the videos out there. I also have a video of my FiTech install.

My understanding is WH sells the BC tank. Toms is different.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...or Wild Horses 23 Gallon Tank but would have to buy the external pump.

We offer an in-tank version here: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Sherman_Fuel_Tank_EFI_Kit_23_Gallon/Bronco_EFI_Tanks
Unfortunately it's in the "EFI Tank" section, and does not show up in the "Stell Tank" section like it should.
I'll see if I can change that.

My question is how do I plumb the fuel system so that there is a return line to the tank?

Surprised there is no return outlet port on the throttle body. They usually try to make it obvious when that's part of the expectation to run one.
But maybe they intended for there to be a "T" manifold type setup just prior to it entering the TBI unit.
Interesting, I'll have to look at #3600 to see what's going on there. Maybe they're expecting everyone to want to buy one of their reservoir units? If so, that would be too bad.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So this one does not have a pressure regulator? I haven't dug into it yet, but that's what I saw on one website. If that's the case though, then they probably expect an external regulator with it's own return line fitting.

But since it's got external fuel rails, what about a cap, or fitting on the opposite rail? Presumably one rail has an inlet fitting. Maybe an AN style threaded fitting? If so, what about the other rail? If it's got a hex cap on it like some rails do, then the likely solution is to remove the cap and replace it with a threaded outlet fitting.

Just guessing at this point though.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nevermind. Found it in their instructions. As suspected, it's calling for an external regulator with it's own return line.

Paul