• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to pull an engine out? get your laughs inside

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
BMC69 Pulled an engine and transmission out of a hulk I needed something off of with his back hoe. Scene was, bronco on 18' trailer, engine kind of chained to a loader, me under the bronco with a crow bar and BMC with his twitchy hand on the controls. It came out alright, like a rocket.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What could possibly go wrong hahahaha

Truer (and scarier!) words were never spoken!
Very common to hear among the Bronco-Brotherhood.

Good luck. But above all, have fun and come back with all your appendages.

Paul

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Just remember as you start to pull the motor with the boom yell "HEY YA'LL WATCH THIS"

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
In answer to your heater control q..in the bronco the only part of the heater control even remotely close to the engine is the temp control valve that is not mounted at all, just kinda floats in the heater hose near the firewall, so just make sure you know where that is. The rest of the heater controls are all under the dash.

You will probably have to add a second temp sender since the one in the 5.0 is going to go to the computer - I just pulled a plug out of the back of the intake manifold and put one there. The oil sender(and I just learned this fact) can be an idiot light style sender(off/on) only, so you may have to swap it out for a gauge style sender, go to the parts house and tell them you want a sender for your year bronco, if you have the idiot light version you will want a 4" 1/4 pipe nipple and 45degree female pipe couple to make a extension for it. Then the original wire will hook right up.

Label all the wires! Don't cut any wires under the hood until after you have dropped the 5.0 in and it's running...if you don't know what a wire is, take a picture and post it up, someone on here will know..then label that wire...did I mention DON'T CUT ANY WIRES UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE THE ENGINE IN???

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>> while not needed ,a load leveler is really handy for pulling/installing engines.. I prefer these chained to the front & rear of the engine versus those plates on the manifold..
Putting_Motor_In_1-00-small.JPG

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
BMC69 Pulled an engine and transmission out of a hulk I needed something off of with his back hoe. Scene was, bronco on 18' trailer, engine kind of chained to a loader, me under the bronco with a crow bar and BMC with his twitchy hand on the controls. It came out alright, like a rocket.

you are a brave ( or maybe crazy ) man, you should of at least made him put down his corona (that hand usally dosen't twitch)

OP
OP
B

BroncoThug_77

Loc.
Calgary,Alberta
Good tips guys, and if you think of anything else that could benefit a rookie feel free, I appreciate all the good advice I can get.
76 bronco j does the chain hook up to a bolt in the front of the heads? looks like a better idea than a 55 foot boom.
wylecoyote Thanks man that makes sense now and as to the gauges I think I will go the seperate auto meter gauge way.
Hey lilredbronco I found some dynamite in an old shed we should see if we can blow something up with it haha

OP
OP
B

BroncoThug_77

Loc.
Calgary,Alberta
stanggy i would really appreciate it if you took pics im sure it would help me and maybe others who are going to be pulling their motors out in the future

bronco-kid

Loc.
roanoke
you can always barter ,find someone who needs some help with tree trimming or a load of fire wood ,or some of the mulch im shure you have alot of.make a trade they help you pull you engine and you supply to them your job skill. hope all goes well . i always used 2 intake bolts to lift my motors thats just me.