• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to pull an engine out? get your laughs inside

BroncoThug_77

Loc.
Calgary,Alberta
Hey guys, I got alot of help from you guys last time when i hooked up my battery backwards and fried some stuff LOL so..., before i try to pull my motor out this spring i was wondering if someone could tell me how to do this properly or is there some sort of manual for dummies on how to do this the right way.
Feel free to dumb down your responses, I trim trees for a living so i am not what you would call mechanical, i do like working on my bronco, its just that my good intentions usually lead to a big bill haha, like when i changed my own oil and over tightened the drain plug and then had to get it fixed.....twice.
Thats right, i did the same thing twice grrrrr

So when you pull an engine you first disconnect all hoses and wiring right?
Then you would somehow attach engine hoist to motor and undo motor mounts and then unbolt tranny? Thats all i got so far.
Am i missing anything?
My plan is a 5.0 swap in spring, pretty lofty goal for a guy who works with chainsaws hahaha could be entertaining
Thanks for any and all help offered

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where do you live? I'm sure several folks here on CB would be more than happy to help pull you pull your engine.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'm also planning on pulling my engine in the near future and like you have limited experience doing so. i picked up a Haynes manual at the local parts store for $20 and it lists all the steps. The manual isn't specific for my model year (1974) as it can be used for the ford truck also. Only advice I can give you is to take a few pics before you pull it, and bag and tag EVERYTHING.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'll start you off with the first couple steps.

Step 1: Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Step 2: Disconnect the positive battery cable.
Step 3: Remove battery.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
step 16: (Optional only if you have an auto tranny) Disconnect the torque converter from your flex plate and leave it on the trans. This will prevent potential internal TC damage when you jerk the engine out... don't ask me how I know this ;)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
There is a piece of sheet metal that goes between the bell housing and motor. That will come off with the motor but not without removing one 5/16" bolt that holds that plate to the transmission. If you don't pull that bolt out you can try as you may but the motor won't come out!:mad:

farnorthdan

Loc.
Eagle River, Alaska
this is something you definately can do....also agree, find someone near you that has some experience doing it and ask for help, nothin wrong with asking for help, plus you'll learn a ton of good stuff.

dan

OP
OP
B

BroncoThug_77

Loc.
Calgary,Alberta
Thanks for the tips and help guys, I do already have the haynes manual, maybe i should read it a bit more.
Im from calgary alberta and dont really know any guys here that could help except some other tree guys so this could be interesting.
Gotta figure out what a flex plate is now LOL
Viperwolf thanks for the battery advice haha trust me battery will be the first thing out and wires labeled
If this helps its a 302 coming out that is attached to a C4 auto

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll start you off with the first couple steps.

Step 1: Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Step 2: Disconnect the positive battery cable.
Step 3: Remove battery.

Beer is painful when it comes out the nostrils...

Bulletman

Labeling tape is your friend, as is a permanent marker, and DON'T FORCE ANYTHING, if it's gotta be forced or pried it will probably be breaking or bending something.......gotta engine hoist?

OP
OP
B

BroncoThug_77

Loc.
Calgary,Alberta
No engine hoist yet but planning on getting one
where do you get the plate that you screw into the motor to lift it?
where do you attach the plate or whatever its called to?

Bulletman

I "GOT" my plate by making one, welded a hook in the middle and drilled holes to match the top of the intake manifold where the carburetor bolts,,,,,,,,, and I have also pulled them if there is room by using a bolt in the front of one head and an exhaust manifold bolt on the otherside of the engine at the back, you just gotta get it balanced.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Hey Thug, If you're asking these kinds of questions, your best bet is to find someone locally that knows what they're doing to come over and help you. It can be done alone, but two make the task go a lot smoother.

jrcflash

...and do not 'dumb yourself down'. Trimming trees is highly technical work and takes real brains to do right and safely. Don't sell yourself short. I have learned that the guys on here will give you great advice. All you have to do is ask and be respectful (as you have). Good luck with your project.

blakerj10

Loc.
Gillette
I bought a lifting plate from checker auto last year. It was like 3.99. I remember because I thought i can't afford to by the steel to make my own for that.

You can do it. You will probably have a few screw ups that will cost you bit of money. But you will be a lot farther ahead than paying someone else to do it. If you are serious about getting into Broncos, you just as well learn now. Your confidence will go up, and before you know it, you will have your C4 tore apart on your work bench to avoid paying someone else a grand to fix it.

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
I don't know how to answer but if you put a battery in backwards and other shenanigans we must NEVER EVER even in an emergency work on something mechanical together.

We'd both end up in the hospital and maybe even a mushroom cloud. ;D

brocken

Loc.
Seattle
Hey, if a guy that works with computers can pull an engine a guy that works with trees and chainsaws definitely can. :D
I'd never pulled an engine out of a vehicle before but with the help of a couple friends did a swap just recently in my Bronco. The nice thing about these old trucks is they're pretty darn basic.

Like what everybody else said, disconnect the battery first. Then undo all your other wiring. Then drain and remove the radiator and hoses. Then double check you disconnected everything.
And then you can unbolt the engine from the transmission. Make sure to unbolt the engine mounts last after you have the cherry picker attached to your engine.

I didn't have a lift plate for my engine hoist but used a bolt on the back of the engine and one on the front in opposite corners to balance the engine. I poked those through links of a chain before bolting them in.
Doing it that way it really helps to have an extra set of hands to keep the engine from swinging in.

The easy part is pulling everything out... just wait until you're swapping that EFI in...

OP
OP
B

BroncoThug_77

Loc.
Calgary,Alberta
Thanks for the tips again guys, and you already answered my next question about having to remove the rad or leaving it in.
Engine is still in, cant get to it yet cause the mustang is frozen into the driveway in front of bronco and the quad is in front of that, but its supposed to be 20 degrees tomorrow so it should unfreeze the other toys and after i replace the 5.0s battery i can buy a picker.
One good thing about my planned swap is I got my Mustang to look at to reference where all the wires and sensors go , I also have a bunch of info from ford fuel injection web site and back issues of bronco driver with their write up on the swap.
Do you have to splice wires from a 5.0 motor so that they connect to your dash, like your oil pressure and temp and voltage?
What do you do with your heater controls, do they hook right up or do you need adaptors for the cables?
I am getting more confused hahaha I will try to search some more,If this takes me 5 years to figure out its gettin done,I refuse to give up.
Did I mention this is my dream truck, once its running again im getting rid of the tacoma and it will be an all ford yard again LOL