• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How To Remove Window Frames

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I know you just take the bolts out both sides but do you leave the window in. I would think it would rattle around without the support of the frame.

Kirk

Heus33

Bronco Guru
You can leave the window in, there are felt tracks inside the door that will keep it from rattling but the glass is pretty much useless without the frames.

And the frame shouldn't support the windshield (that much), there should be a small gap to allow for the weatherstripping.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Don't forget the bolt that holds in the wing window too.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
so the EB owners that build a winshield support on the front of their cage are just doing this for extra support and it is not necessary?

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
so the EB owners that build a winshield support on the front of their cage are just doing this for extra support and it is not necessary?

The hard top supports the windshield, not the door window frames. The windshield supports are for when you are running topless.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
40 years of stress/rust/etc wears on the frame. Getting a pair of turnbuckles that attach to the frame and the roll bar is a very smart idea. I remember riding around in mine before I did this and the windshield would wobble around a good bit, especially over bumps...eventually you'll end up with the windsheild frame in your lap.

Attachments

• new cage6.JPG
    new cage6.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
seems to be supported by the frames now that I have removed the top. Dont have a cage yet so was wondering if it was a good idea running with nothing supporting it

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
You should be able to ride around as long as the bottom bolts are in. I wouldn't take any big bumps or jumps until you can support the top of the frame.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
seems to be supported by the frames now that I have removed the top. Dont have a cage yet so was wondering if it was a good idea running with nothing supporting it

I did this for a summer. Just didn't "feel" right to me. Nothing like seeing the windshield shakin around to make you feel safe and secure!

You might want to take off the wipers and wiper motor assembly to help keep the weight down if you're gonna run like this for awhile.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana

The windshield frame will be banging against your door window frames pretty bad on bumpy roads. Best to have it supported.
A cage is a very important safety upgrade, even if you do not go off road. Is that high on your list?

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I built a couple of supports out of 1x2 square tubing, bolted one end to the roll bar and one end to the windshield frame. I doesn't make it much (if any) stronger for rollover protection, but it does stabilize the windshield frame (I am running a softop right now). It also gives you some framework to build from if you want to mount speakers or a cb or whatever overhead. Also makes an good handle to help climbing in and out, just need to mount some grab handles. I put some pipe insulation and wrapped it w/ good electrical tape and mounted my sirius antena on it, pretty clean install, all wires hidden.