• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Howell TBI

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I saw this set-up on a Bronco once and it worked great, but the guy running it said that it would cause the engine to run a little hotter than normal. Don't know why and I have no personal experience, just curious if you noticed this also?

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I worked directly with Howell, which is best. They program the chip etc based on your vehicle build.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I would imagine that one scavenged from a Chevy 305 would work right out of the box.
But it's probably also tweakable with not much effort or cost? Dunno, but I bet there are chips-galore for that setup.

Paul

Could be wrong but I believe all the TBI units flow the same cfm wether you get it off a 4.3. 5.0 or a 5.7. That said I have a practiaclly new (think it was used for a week) holley TBI pn 502-9 that I'd let go of for fairly cheap.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
BC broncos has them on there site for sell...cant seem to find anybody else that does though

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I saw this set-up on a Bronco once and it worked great, but the guy running it said that it would cause the engine to run a little hotter than normal. Don't know why and I have no personal experience, just curious if you noticed this also?

Could be that the better atomization was creating a more complete burn in each cylinder, which would generate more work/power/temperature from each cylinder.
Or it could just be that the proper thermostat (higher temp rating) was substituted for the earlier carbureted type's lower temp rating?

Might just depend on what the guy meant by "hotter" too.
For all we know he may just have replaced other electrical items, including temp senders, that caused the gauge to read hotter.
Too bad we don't have more info from him. Might be interesting to know more details.

Paul

Oatmeal

Here's another company to look into: http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/ ......great people to deal with!

I pieced together a system but, haven't gotten around to installing it yet %)

I sourced the throttle body and computer from the wrecking yard, saved the pumps and adapter plate from my old Holley Pro-Jection system (biggest POS ever) and had them put together a harness, supply the remaining sensors and burn a chip to work with my motor specs.

I have a total of maybe $800 into :)

The guys at Howell are equally helpful and will work with you as well.

As far as where to mount the ECM, I built a sheetmetal glovebox to replace my tattered carboard one (I'm sheetmetal guy).....I made it a little shallower so that the ECM (the only thing I've mounted, so far) would fit behind it in a bracket and removing one screw allows easy removal of the ECM

I'm having trouble finding a suitable grommet to get the harness through the firewall (I'm really picky) so, I'll have to fab something up.

I can't wait to get it installed and am encouraged by the earlier poster's mileage claims, however I doubt my 351W would pull those numbers :cry:

Hans

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
It looks like West Coast and Howell both sell them for the $1300. It is exciting that there are so many people with positive experiences with Howell to help me make the decision. I have also been researching the FAST EZ-EFI System. It learns as you drive it and it is around $1900 with the fuel lines and fuel pump.

I have a practiaclly new (think it was used for a week) holley TBI pn 502-9 that I'd let go of for fairly cheap.

PM Sent :cool:

matt w

Bronco Guru
I might just do this set up! I converted an old jeep I used to own with a Howell set up and it was one of the best upgrades I ever did on that ride!

Thanks for the post!;D

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I only have two issues with my Howell TBI.
1). It should have been one of my first upgrades.
2). It runs so good, my signature line is now full of $$$ mods.

I love it ;D

Bundy

Bronco Guru
So what are the pros and cons of the TBI setup versus the explorer/mustang ford EFI setups that are so common?

- TBI is more expensive but uses new parts?

- Does it work as well on steep hills and off camber as the ford EFI?

Broncobowsher

Total hack

any EFI will be the same. The ability to run off camber will have more to do with how the fuel system is set up (pump, baffles, accumulator) then the final dilivery system. As long as any EFI gets a steady supply of fuel it will run exactly the same at any angle.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
So what are the pros and cons of the TBI setup versus the explorer/mustang ford EFI setups that are so common?

- TBI is more expensive but uses new parts?

With TBI you really dont have to change a lot you can adapt it to your current manifold and your basically done. Its a crude EFI setup at best. 2 injectors that squirt/drip fuel into the manifold no real control or adaptation you get whatever the PCM is programed with.

Stock ford EFI well you have to change manifolds, distributer, and most of the fuel system. but you get a system that is more adaptable and fine tunes itself over a broader range.

I really would say they both endup costing about the same especailly if you buy a new harness for the ford setup. the other "New" parts of the TBI setup are really no big deal. For what it is TBI shouldnt cost as much as it does.IMO

matt w

Bronco Guru
I only have two issues with my Howell TBI.
1). It should have been one of my first upgrades.
2). It runs so good, my signature line is now full of $$$ mods.

I love it ;D

And..I LOVE IT TOO,,,,,it will be what I do over the EFI concersion. It worked AWESOME on my JEEP.

One issue...I have 3 tanks on my truck and like that also.

Could I still use my 3 tanks with this set-up?;D

malonejy

Bronco Guru
Matt, I originally kept my aux tank and used a pump to move the fuel into the main tank. After about a year with a new 23 gallon tank, I realized the aux tank was just wasting space. I'm sure you could plumb in three tanks, just ask yourself if it's worth the hassle ;)

Oatmeal

Yes, you could get a 6 port EFI specific switching valve (feed and return ports) but, you'd have to run a pump for each tank...expensive but, you'd always have a back up pump(s).

Another way I've seen it done is:

You use a low pressure pump (I've heard of people using the stock mechanical pump) with a 6 port switching valve (dosen't need to be EFI specific because of the lower pressures = less money) to pump fuel from the selected tank to an accumulator http://www.bcbroncos.com/acctank.pdf and from there to the high pressure EFI pump to feed the injectors.
That way you'd only need one high pressure pump and by using an accumulator, you wouldn't have to worry about in interuption in fuel delivery when your tank starts running low and your at some crazy angle that forces fuel away from the pick up in the tank!

Whew! Hope that made sense?:?

Hans

BTW, I run both tanks with 2 pumps.

Last edited:

70greenhorn

Loc.
Manakin Sabot, VA
Here's another company to look into: http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/ ......great people to deal with!

I pieced together a system but, haven't gotten around to installing it yet %)

I sourced the throttle body and computer from the wrecking yard, saved the pumps and adapter plate from my old Holley Pro-Jection system (biggest POS ever) and had them put together a harness, supply the remaining sensors and burn a chip to work with my motor specs.

I have been thinking switching to the Howell...I have a POS Pro-Jection on my rock crawler and I can't get it tuned...I'ts a freaking nightmare.
A buddy of mine races and uses the Howell system in his buggy...he swears by it...said he installed it 4 yrs ago and hasn't had to touch it since.

Adventurous 4x4 sells Howell kits. Ask for Randy Wood. He is an early bronco guy. http://www.adventurous4x4.com/home.php

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
And..I LOVE IT TOO,,,,,it will be what I do over the EFI concersion. It worked AWESOME on my JEEP.

I am going to set mine up with the tank selector before the low pressure pump and let the return line refill the main tank from the aux. tank. Will just have to keep an eye on it to switch back to the main tank.

Jim W.

matt w

Bronco Guru
I am going to set mine up with the tank selector before the low pressure pump and let the return line refill the main tank from the aux. tank. Will just have to keep an eye on it to switch back to the main tank.

Jim W.

Well I would love to keep all three tanks! Looks like "when" I do it I will have to investigate the best way to keep these things!!