• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hub Help...

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I am having trouble getting the whatchamacallit off of the axle on the driver side. I got the hub off and the snap ring off but it doesn't want to slide past the slot for the snap ring. It came off pretty easy on the pass side. Do I need to use a puller? its not pressed on, its just kinda stuck. I don't want to F it up, would a 3 jaw puller help release it and get it past the ridge?
TIA

ugly74

Bronco abuser
it's probably just a little burr of metal keeping it from sliding out. try and feel any high spots or rough edges, and then carefully dress it with a file.

slider58

Loc.
OKC, OK
Can you get a three jaw puller in there? I have had them get a bit of rust on the splines and not come out. I drilled and tapped two holes on either side and then used a harmonic balancer puller to pull it out. Caused no problems. Was then able to dress everything up with a wire wheel.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Look at the spline on the axle and see if it has a little burr on it. If you find a burr then a little file and fix it is a pita but will work. Good luck and have fun.:p :p :p Bill %) :cool: ;D

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I have a couple small pry bars that I've used to "work" it out moving side to side, jiggling a little, NOT enough pressure to mar the metal though.

Also, I've taken a rubber mallet and tapped on the rotor assembly and had them give and that spring (that the stock hubs use) push it out.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
What i have done is screw a couple of the screws back into it and wiggle and pull on them.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Thats funny, a similar thing happened on my FW's.
It came with the solid hubs and one side was on there pretty good.
There was a little rust on the axle shaft splines that was holding it up.
I got it up to the groove but couldn't get it past.
Determination and persuasion was all it took.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Thats funny, a similar thing happened on my FW's.
It came with the solid hubs and one side was on there pretty good.
There was a little rust on the axle shaft splines that was holding it up.
I got it up to the groove but couldn't get it past.
Determination and persuasion was all it took.

I like having someone one step ahead of me on the swap.
After really taking a look at that front end, I dont see how you can move those wedges or even shorten up the housing, there is so much crap on there with the sway bar mounts, etc and it all looks pretty tough to remove without screwing up the rest of the housing.

I'll try a little more on it today, would love to get these finished disassembled so I can clean em up and put em back together.

Did you put a drain plug in while you were working on yours?

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I like having someone one step ahead of me on the swap.
After really taking a look at that front end, I dont see how you can move those wedges or even shorten up the housing, there is so much crap on there with the sway bar mounts, etc and it all looks pretty tough to remove without screwing up the rest of the housing.

I'll try a little more on it today, would love to get these finished disassembled so I can clean em up and put em back together.

Did you put a drain plug in while you were working on yours?

You must have the cast wedges?
Mine were welded to the tube. (77 F150)
I didn't have sway bar mounts either.
No drain plug, didn't think about it untill after the fact.
Wouldn't be too hard to intall later though.
I just moved the rear back 2" last weekend along with a shackle reversal.
Hopefully this weekend I can start on my bumpers.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Yeah I have the cast wedges but wasnt going to move them in anyways. These are off a 78 Bronco. Just going to account for it with the Cage arms.
With moving your rear axle back did you just cut and reweld the mounts along with the shackle reversal? Did you upgrade your front axles or u-joints while you were rebuilding it all? My axles look brand new but I might should upgrade the u-joints.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Yeah I have the cast wedges but wasnt going to move them in anyways. These are off a 78 Bronco. Just going to account for it with the Cage arms.
With moving your rear axle back did you just cut and reweld the mounts along with the shackle reversal? Did you upgrade your front axles or u-joints while you were rebuilding it all? My axles look brand new but I might should upgrade the u-joints.

So are you moving your spring buckets out?
Or just bowing the heck out of the springs.

Yep, on the rear I just ground off the welds and rewelded the mounts 2" back.
No upgrade for the front, all looked in good shape. Since I'm used to wheelin' with the D30, it'll probably take me a while before I brake anything in the front. I still haven't hooked up the fron drivline yet, need to swap the long tube for shorty headers, buggers are in the way :mad: .

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Got it off, regshawn was over and hit it with a file and it eventually gave way. The splines were real shroomed out at the snap ring, very strange.

As far as the spring buckets, I am flipping them around so that the wider part is to the inside (drilling 1 new hole) and supporting them on the inside, also going to move the front forward a little (1.5" I think) when I put the long arms in. So it will bow a little forward and to the left....almost like the spitter on the grassy knoll...back and to the left. :D I am runnning 36 iroks so my clutch cant handle 3.50's any more...its too bad, aside from the issue on the one hub, the axles and bearings were pretty nice.