• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost HELP please

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Ok.......

lengthened the rod to 5" to center of the "O" end.....

*Got all the lines hooked up
*Got the new brake lines from proportioning valve to MC
*Bench bled MC
*Hooked up brake lines to MC
*Filled PS Pump and bled PS system
*with engine off bled brakes (64 OZ of brake fluid) pedal still goes to the floor
*started truck and truck steers ok but when the brakes were applied the lines jump and sound like HB goes into bypass
*realized HB lines were backwards (F$%K!)
*Re-made lines, reconnected, filled and bleed PS system
*Pedal still goes to the floor

I carefully vacuum bled and 2 man bled all the brakes till i see NO air coming out of the bleeders..... why is the pedal still going to the floor?

HB 1997 F250 Diesel (junkyard)
MC 1985 Dodge Diplomat (new)
AGR Pump \ 1974 Mark IV dual return reservoir

Could the HB be bad and allow the pedal to the floor?
Is the MC bad?

ARRRRRRG! Thanks in advance!

ransil

Bronco Guru
steering system need bleed.

1. turn back & forth 100 times hit the brake too.

2. when #1 that does not work, remove the pressure line going into the ps box and put it in a bucket, crank do not start when you get fluid out put it back on and go back to #1

OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Ok....went through your procedure.... I did give up at 57 times... then just took the Bronco for a weavy ride through the neighborhood. Got back home, rebled the brakes, topped off the PS fluid and went for another ride and had brakes.

The pedal is soft but effective. It will lock em all up for sure. Just weird how little pressure (but with pedal travel) the brakes work.

Thanks for all the writes ups, discussions and feedback guys! I also want to give a big shout out to Steve and Vinnie for their help. Thank you very much! Their experience with adapters, PS pumps, line making, flaring, etc was awesome!!!

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
still sounds wierd to me. when i did my HB it made the pedal VERY firm. I only have about 1" of travel from no brakes at all to all 4 locking up! Its the first 1" of travel too. a bit scary at first. I used a 77 suburban HB maybe that is the difference? glad it's better, good luck.
btw- i also hooked up backwards at first. dammit!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey motoman, good to see you hereabouts!
I think 904Bronco just went through this successfully, so maybe he'll see this and chime in with his experiences in doing a couple of them. And helping others with theirs too.

Plenty of others doing them lately too, so maybe someone will have some insight for you soon.

Paul