• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hydroboost vs. vacuum boost

G

Okay, I'm going 4 wheel disc from manual drums in one shot, and since my plenum on the EFI is so close to the drum master cylinder, I'm going to have to relocate it somehow. Here are my choices:<br>1) OEM style vacuum booster/ bracket setup. $400??<br>2) different intake manifold, explorer 5.0 setup? not sure if I can use the explorer intake with the stock 5.0 HO heads.. and use the disc mc as a manual setup.<br>3) hydroboost- I found a set of 79 Caddy calipers, booster/mc, pump, hoses for $130. should i jump on it??<br>ANy input is appreciated. Thanks guys..<br>

Morpheus

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I did the hydroboost a year ago. It works great and I haven't had any problems. Stopping power is absolutely awsome. It'll put you through the windshield if you push too hard. I don't have EFI, so that wasn't a problem. Here's a good writeup with EFI. http://www.azbronco.org/Tech11.htm

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I met a guy who also had the hydro boost, it looks kinda funky, but he said it was way better than vacuum, and that he'd never go back. The Explorer intake will work with the mustang heads, its all the same bolt pattern on the block, just a different way of delivering the air is all. However, if you get a regular Mustang intake (I'm assuming you got your out of a Lincoln or a T-bird or something), with the throttle body on the pass side, then you wont have any probs either. The Explorer intake is supposed to flow better than the regular Mustang 5.0 intake though. Personally, I'd just go hyroboost, it would be easiest, cheapest, and trick. <br>-Eric

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Hydro boost is not better than vacuum assist or the other way around. Both will cause an EB to stop <br>equally will. Both should allow 1 good power assist after the eng. is dead. And both will work with the<br> EFI. It is a little more work to install the hydraboost because of the needed P/S pump and hoses.<br>It all comes down to opportunity and personal preference. My .02