• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hydroboost

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Anybody succesfully install hydroboost without the angle bracket and keep their auto column shifter? Seems like I could move it up some but not sure if that might cause a problem with the pedal to hboost linkage engagement?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Yep sure have pictures to show you how.

Attachments

• Booster-MC closeup.JPG
    Booster-MC closeup.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Wide shot of line installation.JPG
    Wide shot of line installation.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Booster-MC closeup.JPG
    Booster-MC closeup.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Booster bolted on.JPG
    Booster bolted on.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 157
OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks man, I flipped my astro Hbooster 180 and it might clear but looks like I either need to build a spacer or whack a bigger hole toward the drivers fender to get it to clear? Guess it's time to break out the sawzall or similar ;D

Good to know it will work before I start hacking!

lodnirgs

Loc.
Louisiana
I relocated a hydro boost from a 78 Lincoln the the left of the column by using the Licoln's brake pedal hung from the Bronco's clutch pedal position. With some mods it works great, is away from the 5.0 EFI engine, and because it extends straight out, leaves the top of the inner fender clear. Good luck.

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
lodnirgs said:
I relocated a hydro boost from a 78 Lincoln the the left of the column by using the Licoln's brake pedal hung from the Bronco's clutch pedal position. With some mods it works great, is away from the 5.0 EFI engine, and because it extends straight out, leaves the top of the inner fender clear. Good luck.
I am glad someone else discovered this method.
I installed a 351 and found out that the Hboost would not fit without the angle and I did not want this so - - -
Off to the "freebie junk yard"
Found a old mercury car with the wide brake pedal.
after some measureing discovered I could alter the pedal hanging assembly to move the brake location over 3 and a half inches.
compared the pedals and discovered that the movement can be done because the mercury brake pedal and arm are bent in a lot different ways.
altered the bracket, drilled new holes and rehung the hboost in the new location with the new pedal.
Fun job and got the MONSTER brake pedal out of the deal

Attachments

• Brake-gas-in-temp.JPG
    Brake-gas-in-temp.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Hydroboost-in-far-shot.JPG
    Hydroboost-in-far-shot.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Hydroboost-in.JPG
    Hydroboost-in.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Brake-gas-in-temp.JPG
    Brake-gas-in-temp.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 51
  • BrakeBracketitself.JPG
    BrakeBracketitself.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Bracketshortened.JPG
    Bracketshortened.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 71
  • BracketWhole2.JPG
    BracketWhole2.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Pedal-in-temp.JPG
    Pedal-in-temp.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 35

lodnirgs

Loc.
Louisiana
What Walker is discribing and with photos is what I did. His installation is very similar to what I did. After hanging the Lincoln pedal, I noticed that it extented too far toward the gas pedal. I removed the metal support for the rubber pedal and moved it to the left about 1". I now have plenty of room between the pedals. It makes for a great installation.

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Bronchole said:
It almost looks like the pedal is working off of the area where the stock clutch pedal is.
Your close!!
the pedal bracket is 1 inch short of the stock clutch location.
Because of the bends of the new pedal, this was possible. I could not do this change with the stock brake pedal it would be too far to the left.
Hope this helps someone thinking of this.
TOFIC

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I beleive I will go this route if I can find a donor car with the right pedal? Most of the early junkers have headed off to the metal recycler lately :'(

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
bigmuddy said:
I beleive I will go this route if I can find a donor car with the right pedal? Most of the early junkers have headed off to the metal recycler lately :'(
look for the 70's and 80's big Ford most will have the pedal you want.
Talk to Mad about a pedal bracket, he is scrapping on so there is one to cut up and use.
TOFIC

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
So do I need to grab the whole pedal or is this something I will need to cut and weld? I have a couple of spare auto assemblys so that should not be a problem.

thanks!

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
bigmuddy said:
So do I need to grab the whole pedal or is this something I will need to cut and weld? I have a couple of spare auto assemblys so that should not be a problem.

thanks!
grab the whole pedal assembly.
No cutting or welding on the pedal. Just getting it moved and aligning everything is the whole project.
Free tip for you take out the steering column. LOTS easier that way.
TOFIC

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Hey Tofic, any chance you got one them there fancy pedal things hanging around that you would want to sell? Been looking all day today and apparently all of the scrap yards local have sent the mid 70's boats to the big auto dealer in the sky!

lodnirgs

Loc.
Louisiana
I hung the pedal differently than did Walker. I took the Licoln pedal and placed it into the same location as the Bronco's clutch pedal position. I did not remove the Licoln's or the Bronco's pedal assembly. My Bronco did and soes have an automatic transmission.
There is a rod of about 5/8" diameter on which the brake pedal hangs and pivots. Slide this rod out to the left and all the pedals and spacers will fall free. I removed the entire Bronco pedal. The Licoln pedal was placed into the clutch position the rod replaced and a tube with 5/8" ID was used as a spacer to correctly position the new brake pedal.
The Licoln pedal needed to be lengthened about 1" so that it will be a comfortable height from the floor. Be certain to add the length below the attachment pin for the brake master cylinder push rod.
There is a metal plate below the rubber brake pad that I removed and moved about 1" to the left so that I had plenty of room between the brake and the gas pedal. The Licoln pedal is very wide. For my application, I added 1 1/8" to the master cylinder push rod.
Everything work out wonderfully. Good Luck

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
What year was the lincoln you scavenged the pedal from? My problem today was find a mid year 70's boat to get the pedal from! Apparently everyone around here has scrapped the cars for metal money :'(

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
bigmuddy said:
What year was the lincoln you scavenged the pedal from? My problem today was find a mid year 70's boat to get the pedal from! Apparently everyone around here has scrapped the cars for metal money :'(
Haven't got one sorry
If your not in a hurry I will keep my eye open in the "freebie junk yard"
If I spot one I will yank it out and you can have it for shipping.
Dont be in a hurry though sometimes it takes a while.
TOFIC

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Walker, if you run across something please pull it and I will be happy to pay whatever. Lodnirgs my install will be different, I did get the town car pump today via Napa and I am going to use a 92 astrovan boost unit, it came with the astrovan pressure hoses so I am going to try to use them and go cheap for now, hopefully there long enough to reach. Also scored a mid eighties PS pump bracket off and E-150 van ( thanks Rick!) should make mounting the town car pump a whole lot easier for the 5.0. Going to keep looking over the weekend and see if I can come up with one of those mid 70's clunkers!

thanks for the help guys!

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Has anyone successfully used a Hboost system with an internal canister? Curious because it seems like it would take less room once mounted.

I found one the other day at the junk yard off a mid 80's oldsmobile. I went ahead and bought it but not sure it would work. I does have the internal canister but the mate up to the master cylinder is a bit off. I may have to pull that from the old's as well.