• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I dont see how some of you...

meadowblaster

I went six years with mine apart, just got it driveable last weekend. I have no front fenders or grill on it, but I have lights in the rear so I have been driving it around, it had been a long time, I still can't get the smile off my face!

OP
OP
spreadmonkey

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
It's what happens when you are working on a '66, a '69, a chopped '76 go-trailer, a '76, a '78 and a '79 all at the same time....and have a couple ATVs, 4 or 5 boats, a '61 T-Bird and a some F-250/350s that demand their share of attention too.%)

I would be more than happy to lift one or more of those burdens off of your hands ;D

turbotim2

Yea, mine has been down for about two years. Its killing me. But I am almost done building my house so the Bronco will rise again...someday.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I just had to hide mine under a tarp so I wouldn't think about it until the Finance and time constraints got back in line. Now I'm going as fast as I can to get it back together!!

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
I've had mine apart since 1997. Life definitely gets in the way. I usually get one or two days a year to really work on it and it's usually Father's day and my B/D. Unfortunately, my B/D falls on Father's day every few years.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I started the teardown in Nov/Dec of 2005 and finally had it where it could be driven a little by March/April of 2008. I call it 2 and a half years...although I didnt get the doors on it till probably June or July. We made a small road trip to Detroit in late May of 2008, but the first real trip 3300 miles RT was to FL in Oct of 2008. Its tough to stay motivated sometimes...I know the last winter of 2007/2008 even though it was close and the tub was on the frame with paint and Line-X, I really lacked motivation and it was a very cold year...portable heaters can only do so much.

Mostly, b/c it was undriveable is what kept me motivated. Mixed support from friends and family also kept me motivated...you know the people that are supposed to believe in you and want you to be happy--when they are baggin on you, "when are you gonna get that thing done?", and deriding your choice to build it in the first place and your vision of what it will be...thats motivating. When some dumb-ass, who doesnt know you or anything about what sacrifices you've made to undertake your build, tells you that you are a poser and probably dont even own a Bronco--thats motivation.

The pay-off is when you get to run it and people wave, stop you to ask you about it, come up to you at work on ont he street and compliment it, when some dumb-ass rich kid in a suped-up 300Z approaches you and asks if its for sale and then he throws a hissy fit when you tell him "NO!" because he "can buy anything he wants" "Not this you cant" (F'er)....and when the wife finally comes 'round and brags about it to people she knows--when all she did before was nag...thats cool too.

Stay busy, stay focused and TRY to stay out of trouble, it goes faster.

ned72

Loc.
Truckee
I'm going pretty much crazy right now, it's been four very long years since I've been able to drive my baby. It's not that I like waiting this long, but the lack of funds that make it so.

OP
OP
spreadmonkey

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
I have 71 bronco wanted some advice. Should i keep it or get rid of it. It has a 302 3 spd 9 inch rear and dana 30 front. My biggest concern is the body. all floor pans are shot, some new fronts came with. All floor supports and both rear quarters and rear wheel wells are bad. I fiqured it would take about 1200 or more to buy new parts. The frame has some swiss cheese. I'amthink about finding a diffrent frame. I'am capable of making the repairs myself no probleam there. I just want to have a nice dd. So any suggestions would be helpful. thanks

You might have better luck starting a new thread with this...but the answer here is almost always going to be keep it unless you have a baby on the way and are in over your head in mortgage and car payments

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
well, for me the hardest part is getting time to work on it. Now that I am up to 3 and two don't run, the wife has assured me I can have the time needed to fix and sell the 73. Then I'll get the uncut into running shape for a driver while I frame-off the cut trail runner, then vice versa. I figure I'll be done in about 15 years

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
i have been in the process of re wireing mine since 04 and finally took it to another bronco guy and had him finish. I started and got over my head... now i just want it running so i can fix other issues. Brakes are next then engine and tran and axles/suspension then body..and then.... and then. so ya it will be sitting again...

finding time and money are the greatest progress stopers. I finally had some time off ( laid off with 16weeks of severance) to my bronco got a little help in getting it running. Now that i am back to work ( part time) i can tinker with little stuff until i need to get the kids...

OP
OP
spreadmonkey

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
finding time and money are the greatest progress stopers. I finally had some time off ( laid off with 16weeks of severance) to my bronco got a little help in getting it running. Now that i am back to work ( part time) i can tinker with little stuff until i need to get the kids...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Glad you found part time work at least. I can't imagine what I would do if I had a kid or lost my job.

Right now I can barely find the time/money, with a girlfriend, work, the occasional night out or afternoon BBQ with friends...doesn't leave much time for my bronco or my beer brewing.

Sometimes I just wanna leave work early and be a recluse for a week while I cook up 3 new batches of beer and make some progress on the bronco...in a more perfect world that would be absolutely fine. As it is I usually just sacrifice sleep on worknights to get a little done here and there. Brewing beer isn't so easily broken up though, takes at least 4 hours.

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
One of the worst things is having your friend rib you. “Is your Bronco done yet? I thought you would drive it over today”%)

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
My Bronco is put away for 3-4 months every winter. :cry:

Now that I don't understand. I know that some of you guys up in that region put them away for the winter, but I think that the winter can be the funnest time to drive a 4X4.

Mine has been down for over 5 years now. I might be able to turn the motor over this year, but crap always comes up that seems to prolong the process. There are times that I think I won't ever finish it.

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I feel the same way Dev.
I've only driven mine 2 miles before I tore into it... 2 years later and it's almost there... but it just seems there are so many things to do before I actually get to drive it again.

For instance: I have a new motor but I can't put it in until the engine compartment is dressed, the A/C unit arrives and the T-Case shifter setup is done or I double my work and have to pull things out that I just put in... giant jigsaw puzzle.

Sheesh... <sigh>

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I feel the same way Dev.
I've only driven mine 2 miles before I tore into it... 2 years later and it's almost there... but it just seems there are so many things to do before I actually get to drive it again.

For instance: I have a new motor but I can't put it in until the engine compartment is dressed, the A/C unit arrives and the T-Case shifter setup is done or I double my work and have to pull things out that I just put in... giant jigsaw puzzle.

Sheesh... <sigh>

I never did make it down there to throw a wrench with you. I still need to do that. Got a baby coming in a few weeks. After that, I am going to take some time off. Maybe I can sneak down for a day.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is tough and I'm fortunate to have 2 broncos so one stays on the road while I work on the other. My current bruggy project has been 2+ years but the end is finally in sight and I plan on having it on the trail this summer. I've already got plans for the one we drive now once the bruggy is done though ... like said before it's a big snow ball.