• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I failed inspection!!! Tooo funny!

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Get this!

NOpe, I didnt' fail because of the 3.5" lift, or the over sized tires.

Didn't fail because my e-brake bracket is bent slightly

Didn't fail because I didn't have a hood on.

Nope, I failed because I have H4 headlamps that don't have a DOT stamped on them!

What the F people!

OK, quick solution. I bought some cheap a$$ sylvanias & swapped them in.

Of all the modifications to get failed for!

Case

you could have had a couple of bodies in the back and as long as they had a DOT stamp you would be ok. :)

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Yea the inspections in Va. are crazy, glad we dont have emissions yet though =)

You took it pretty good though, I would have scraped it off in front of him and taken it some where else. The ol timers garage of slap a sticker on them are about gone.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
Haha... that figures.

You should go to a motorcycle event somewhere. The vendors sell the little round stickers that say "DOT" :cool: Hard to believe its legal to sell those but I think they fit perfectly on non-DOT approved helmets %) :) :p

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
You mean they looked at the lights to see if they had the DOT label? In 2 more years my '72 want even have to have a sticker any more. ;D For once the NC Gov did us a favor.

Froggy77

Loc.
Wild West Fairfax,Va
VA inspections are a pain in the A$$!!!!

I have found that the trick in VA is to find the right garage and the right guy.
I used to drive 25 miles away to a place until the guy retired. Then a couple of years ago I took mine to a place where the guy was so by the book it makes you wanna puke. He told me he'd fail me if my floorboards weren't fixed by the next year. Out of the goodness of his heart...or so he told me....he passed me. Whatever! Funny thing is they had the same holes for the previous 10 years and no one, including him, ever said a word. Took it down the street the next year to another place (with the same holes in the floorboards) and not a mention of the holes. Passed with no problem. BUT.....the guy lost my wheel lock!!!! DOH!

Nothing is easy anymore.

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
No Joke!

Va is full of A-holes, looking to show their dominance. Drives me nuts!

WE need to start a thread or a sticky by state, for places that will not be jerks to us for our vehicles!

I am calling Chris Soliday today to see where he takes his!

If anyone has other places in VA that are good, let me know!

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Usually if you find a small shop that does them they arent bad. I take all my stuff to a small shop and i never have trouble. I know they have never looked at my bulbs. They just see that they work and thats it. The last time i took mine to get it inspected they just checked a few things and put the sticker on. Im in there all the time and they know it is in good shape. Thats one good thing about hanging out in a shop. They always let me borrow specialty tools to take home too. Never charge me nothing and dont care when i bring them back. I guess there is some trust there. Ive hung out there a pretty good while.

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
Over here they are getting stricter all the time.
The place I used to go to was a little garage and store......
He wouldn't pass me cause of the 33's on my F250HD
ONly allowed two sizes over stock....I tried to tell him they were only an inch and a half taller than stock....
No go. HEre now you have to run a modified inspection sticker with big tires or a lift.....
$90 instead of 12.......!!!
I found another little garage that gives me the cheap stickers with no hassles.
Every year.
Good luck Bill.
I will be running those same lights, How do you like them?????
Chris in WV
PS when is the house warming party????

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
MnkyBiz said:
No Joke!

Va is full of A-holes, looking to show their dominance. Drives me nuts!

WE need to start a thread or a sticky by state, for places that will not be jerks to us for our vehicles!

I am calling Chris Soliday today to see where he takes his!

If anyone has other places in VA that are good, let me know!

Yep, there's a place at the corner of Farm Creek and Featherstone in Woodbridge. Darn if I can remember his name. If it comes to me I'll post.
They werent too picky, I used to take my rollback there and they missed (minor) stuff. One year I went to a place Dan (AA Speed) recommended.
He passed it but INSISTED I remove the PIAA's since they didnt have a DOT approval !! Covering them was not an option.

I got blinded much more in VA from drunk driver's not dimming their brights than from non-DOT approved lights. ;D

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
i lucked out at my inspection. the guy doinging it used to have an eb. he talked about broncos more than he did nay inspecting. of course i make sure everything worked perfectly anyway.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
ok so its a little off topic , but I had to have eletrical work that I did in my garage inspected, the guy never did look at my wiring, just talked about my EB and then when he realised he was late to his next appointment he signed it of and zipped out of the driveway.
My EB failed the emisssions test one time by a few points, I did not have time to mess with it that day as I was off to work after dropping it at my House and grabbing another rig. My dad called me and asked how it went at the testing station, , I said not.
So he proceeded to go to my place and take it down and it passed, Different guy and he only wanted to talk about WWII with my dad %) never did test it.
I aint arguing!

BRussell

Loc.
Winston Salem
That bites. Yeah my 71 no longer has to be inspected. The last one was in April and they told me that I could trash the sticker next year and never worry about it again. For once NC did help out the little guy.

crab

Bronco Guru
What's a vehicle inspection? :p ;D
We don't even have DEQ over here.........

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Need a Thread on how to spot the best and worse inspection station along with location of the worst not to go to.

Ive found the best to be the furthest from a state police station or in the country (less inspections on them) Usally the dirty or unorganized the garage the more likely the better you have to be nit picked on.

Check and see if your local Overnight trucking or large truck repair facilty will do city inspections, Mine did for years and were great guys.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Vehicle inspection?? What's that?? never heard of it up here

We have a inspection report for the insurance people. I got a bunch of blanks already signed for the next ten years.

Govt up here just wants the vehicle registered and insured, they could really care less about the rest. Some cops love doing 'safety inspections" but they are harmless. All they can do is issue fix it tickets.

WHENS the PARTY for the house Monkey???

TOFIC

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
No House party for a while! We don't get the keys until the 31st of August, and then I want to rip out all the carpeting & all the horrible wall paper from the first floor! Then add to that redoing the kitchen & starting to play with the basement, I cant see us moving in until mid September.

Darn lucky thing that my folks live close by & built a home big enough for the family to live in!

Oh well, round 2 of inspection goes on tonight! Lets see if I faily for......having brakes that stop too well!!!! Hah

Wait, I had best not jinx myself!

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
you know I just remebered something, ever since I put the Va.Antique plates on I havnt seen an inspector, you dont have to.