• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I got TUNES!!!

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Broncokak--- your amp should work. Looking at a picture of your amp on the web it looks like you should have a quick connect plug with 8 pins in it. I can only think of seven though. A black for ground, A red for power, probably a blue or yellow for switched power, and the green and gray ones are your speaker output wires. The ones with the black stripes are usually the negative side for the othe wire of like color. Without a book I'm not sure which color would be left or right but it would be easy to switch them around if you could even tell the difference. If you have more wires than 7 I don't know what the other would be for.

The amp you have is relatively small but for door type speakers like the ones shown in this thread it would work great.

I did try hooking this amp up and couldn't get it to work. After playing with it for an hour or so I remembered why I don't use it any more...it's toast! %) But I borrowed one from a buddy and it works great. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A little update on this. The speakers have been working just fine and provide a surprisingly good range for such a cheap set. The sealed enclosure even adds a little depth to the sound that disappears with the top removed. The amp is more than enough and I run my iPod at about 40% volume under way. No heat issues yet either, and it is nice to drown out the squeeks and rattles that I haven't got the funds to fix yet. I also ended up mounting my CB to the back with an external speaker pointing up in the front.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should be just fine. Mine is an ancient 100w amp and it has more power than i need.

That's a neat little amp, wish I'd had just gottent hat one, would have allowed more design options!

msweb

Bronco Guru
Man that's a good price and the small size will make it easy to mount.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm planning on mounting it on the top of the firewall while I have the dash out and mounting the speakers in a console that will run from the bottom of the dash to the trans tunnel. All compact and CHEAP ;D

msweb

Bronco Guru
And there's this one - Only thing I don't understand is how do you turn the amp on and off? Just wire it to be on with the key? It says something about it being "remote switchable" but I don't know what that means.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i believe the center post of the ignition switch is on in run/acc

msweb

Bronco Guru
Should be just fine. Mine is an ancient 100w amp and it has more power than i need.

That's a neat little amp, wish I'd had just gottent hat one, would have allowed more design options!

i believe the center post of the ignition switch is on in run/acc

Cool. I was wondering because my "head unit" is a small Sansa Clip MP3 player. A cheapo and I have no idea what it's output is or how it'd operate the amp.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just ordered one of those 150w amps for a boat project. I'll try to take some pictures as I build it, but I've said that before...

msweb

Bronco Guru
I bought one of the red 500W motorcycle amps off ebay. I'll post up how it works when I get it from Hong Kong %)

It's probably a POS but for $19 shipped and all the cables I need, I figure it's worth rolling the dice.

msweb

Bronco Guru
Well, I got the amp, hooked it up to a boost pack to test it out and dang, I was surprised! It's TINY but actually sounds decent! The speakers are ones designed to be mounted on a wake board tower (boat). I'll take the speakers out of the enclosure and mount them under the dash and out of sight. The amp will be bolted to the firewall and the MP3 player either set on the dash or somewhere out of sight. The whole system will be almost invisible! ;D

To give you an idea of the amp's size, the speakers are 6 1/2" diameter, the MP3 player is 1" x 2"

Attachments

• Stereo.jpg
    Stereo.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 177

idhawkdriver

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
I found and old amp in my garage that I bought back in high school (1993). I was reading this post and got to wondering if it still worked. I went down to the local thrift store and picked up some 5 1/2" speakers in a box for $7.00. I wired the power for the amp directly to the battery, and then tapped in to the "radio" fuse on my fusebox for the remote switch. The little amp has RCA low inputs so I went to Radio Shack and bought one of the headphone Jack to RCA cables. 30 minutes later I now have tunes in my bronco. I almost miss all the squeaks and rumbles. The only thing i'm not fond of is the speaker box sitting right behind my seats for every thief to see. Even if they snag it, I'm only out a couple of bucks. But I like the idea of mounting the speakers in the arm rest...just a little less conspicuous. Might have to pull the speakers out and build myself one. Thanks for the idea!!

Dr. Bronc

I just purchased an amp and speakers to try this project out...BUT..I ran into a snag.

My amp has three wires coming out of the back for power. Red for Batt+, black for Batt-, and an orange wire for car stereo.

Will I be able to run the amp without a car stereo?

I am hoping to run this off my iPod. I have all of the RCA connections necessary. I just cannot seem to get power at the amp.

willtel

I just purchased an amp and speakers to try this project out...BUT..I ran into a snag.

My amp has three wires coming out of the back for power. Red for Batt+, black for Batt-, and an orange wire for car stereo.

Will I be able to run the amp without a car stereo?

I am hoping to run this off my iPod. I have all of the RCA connections necessary. I just cannot seem to get power at the amp.

Hook the orange wire to a power source that is switched with the ignition. That wire is the remote wire to turn the amp on, the amp should remain on until that wire is disconnected.

Repin5

I had the exact same idea. I dont need a radio. I went into my local car stereo build shop and they told me i needed a radio to amp the output to the larger amp. They said the power supplied by my iphone was not enough. Either they lied to me or they are not as inteligent as you guys. Maybe they just wanted to sell me a cd player also. I didnt really believe them that it would not work. any thoughts on this? My Bronco should be road worthy in a couple of weeks and would be nice to have some tunes.

jch79

Loc.
Saint Louis
I had the exact same idea. I dont need a radio. I went into my local car stereo build shop and they told me i needed a radio to amp the output to the larger amp. They said the power supplied by my iphone was not enough. Either they lied to me or they are not as inteligent as you guys. Maybe they just wanted to sell me a cd player also. I didnt really believe them that it would not work. any thoughts on this? My Bronco should be road worthy in a couple of weeks and would be nice to have some tunes.

They were trying to sell you what you don't need. This will work fine. You're really not requiring the power from your iPhone to power anything, that's what the amp is for. The phone merely sends the audio signal to the amp and requires little power to do so. I did car stereo installations when I was in high school long before MP3 players came along, and never really thought of doing this, but it should work without any trouble at all.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, I got to thinking, which isn't always a good thing, and decided to install the CD player I bought 3 years ago. I really wanted to add it to this thread, but it has already been archived.

Anyway, the answer to cutting the dash is: use a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. I started using my dremel, but after the third disc and only two inches of cut, I broke out the dewalt. In keeping with my ghettoness, I used some leftover sensor wire from my garage door opener for the speaker wire. I kept the same box, but drilled a small hole in the floorpan behind it, and routed the speaker wire under the cab. Hopefully, the exhaust won't melt the wire sheath(guess I'll pick up some high temp loom for that bit.

Anyway, I still haven't done anything with the motorcycle amp. The boat I ended up getting already had a radio installed. But at least I got one more box(the one I kept the cd player in) off the shelf. Now to build a sub box that's molded to the rear quarter panel...

3a899d60.jpg