• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I need help with a 4R70W fitting/adapter

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I'm about to throw this question out there with little to no information to help my own situation...

I need to find an adapter to go from my 4R70W to my aux cooler. The fitting on the left is from the tranny, the fitting on the right is for the cooler line. Since I have a history of doing things the long/hard way, I thought I would ask the masses here to see if anyone else has had to do something similar or if anyone knew of a place to score something like this.

As always, thank you for your help.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 29
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 22

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
How about a barbed fitting like the one on the right, but with a male end to thread directly into the tranny fitting?

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
That would be the easiest for sure. My question is where would I even begin to look for something like that?

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I'm thinking the ID on the hose is 1/2" (that's what the barb measures). Not sure yet on the thread on the tranny fitting. Possibly NPT thread?

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 17

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The flare they offer, looks different than your tranny fitting. What's the female thread size of the tranny fitting?

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I believe the female side is the same thread as the male. ~1/2" as well. I'm almost wondering if a plumbing store might have something like this? Found pics of some brass ones on google images. Just need to confirm the threads.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Wyflyer. I'll have to confirm the thread size tomorrow but it looks like they will have a stainless version that will work for me.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just a thought
pick a part will tons of the trans fittings with the tranny cooler lines attached I used stock explorer tranny lines on my 77. They fit with a little tweaking. And then I flared the other end of the tube close to the cooler and attached a rubber line to that goes to the cooler

mattt

Bronco Guru
I would keep the factory fitting that screws into the trans. From what I remember, the female threads in the trans case are very close to 1/4" NPT, but not exact, which is why I'd keep the factory fitting going into the case. That fitting on the out-side is either 3/8" double flare or if it's an earlier fitting from an AOD, it's 5/16" double flare. All of the 4R's I've looked at closely had 3/8" lines, but there could be 5/15" versions out there too.

What are you using to plumb the lines from the cooler back to the trans? If you're using soft line that works with barb fittings, then just get a 3/8" double flare male to hose barb.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
From everything I have researched in the past, the transmission fitting should be screwed back into the transmission. It is almost a normal thread, almost. Inverted flare is the female thread. I think they have been made in both 5/16 and 3/8" versions, but won't guarantee that thought.

That cooler fitting, have no idea what the thread is. All I can see is a hose barb. Probably 3/8"?

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks guys. That actually helps a lot. I was planning on trying to eliminate the original fittings but now I will keep them for sure.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Went to "All Hose" specialty shop here in Vegas and confirmed what Broncobowsher and Mattt said, threads are just not quite normal. Their suggestion was to "weld" together the original fitting with a -8 female. Dropping the second fitting off today as well to have a 1/2" barb welded to it as well. Problem solved (I hope).

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 21

brewchief

The trans may be national pipe thread straight instead of tapered, if so adapters to -6 are available from places like summit or on ebay