• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

i need help with my valves in san diego i give up!

T

teknalee

i'm having a hard time making that ticking noise go away under the valve covers.. this seems silly, and i have nothing to offer but i could REALLY use a hand if anyone has the spare time! it's a freshly rebuilt engine and i just need to adjust the valves.. i've done it twice and haven't gotten it right...

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
You sure thier just not hitting the valve cover? run it with the cover off. (get them little oil deflecters) ;)

74bronc

Bronco Guru
are they new rocker arms or re-used stock rockers? If they are re-used, I would bet the fulcrums are worn out causing the ticking. I replaced the few of my rockers that were worn out with NAPA replacements and the ticky ticky went away. I even changed cams because I thought I had a collapsed lifter. Turned out to be the rockers all along.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Tell us more about your valvetrain.
cam specs
heads
year
engine size
rocker arms
size and type of adjusters poly-locks etc.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I had a click that wouldn't go away no matter what I did. Finally I figured out my valve springs were too heavy for a hydraulic cam so I got mad and put a bigger mechanical cam in it. If you can't get them to quiet down by doing the valve cover technique, then it sounds like a bad lifter, stud pulling out of the water jacket, or something wrong with the valve (assuming you have normal valve springs). Hope this helps...

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
::) ::) ::) Remove the valve cover and put a striate edge on the top of the studs and see if one isnt out a little and if it is replace it they do come lose sometimes good luck. ;D ;D ;D Bill 8) ::) :p

OP
OP
T

teknalee

these only have 6,000 miles on them.. from the first time i rebuilt it. i'll have to check it out again tommorow

cam specs: all i can remember off the top of my head is: .306 lift

heads edelbrock rpm performer with the 2.06 exhaust ports

year: i think it's a 73 block i don't remember

engine size: 347

rocker arms: summit anodized blue aluminum ones

size and type of adjusters poly-locks etc. ???

wolfman

Loc.
Chesterton, Indiana
Re:i need help with my valves in Ifsan diego i give up!

::) Put your hands on the valve covers while the motor is running you should be able to feel if the rocker arms are bumping. You might need taller valve covers ? Did you build the motor yourself ? Did someone do your head work? if so ask them to fix it.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=teknalee link=board=5;threadid=17931;start=0#msg137264 date=1054182630]
these only have 6,000 miles on them.. from the first time i rebuilt it. i'll have to check it out again tommorow

cam specs: all i can remember off the top of my head is: .306 lift

heads edelbrock rpm performer with the 2.06 exhaust ports

year: i think it's a 73 block i don't remember

engine size: 347

rocker arms: summit anodized blue aluminum ones

size and type of adjusters poly-locks etc. ???
[/quote]

Is it regular Hyd lifters?

If so, here is what I would do...

If this is your firing order then get #1 cylinder on the rock, this means bump the engine around till both rockers on the same cyl (#1) are moving at the same time. The exhaust will be closing and the intake will be opening, stop turning the engine and stop right at that instant you see both rockers move at the same time. Then go over to #6 and back off both rockers and adjust the valves on #6. Tighten the adjuster till you begin to feel resistance while spinning the pushrod between your fingers. At that point tighten the adjuster 1 Full turn then lock it down. Next get 5 on the rock and go over and adjust it's mating cylinder, which will be #3. Repeat the process for all rest of the cylinders.

Do you see the significance of the firing order diagram? If it were a 351W firing order it would be this.

What do both diagrams have in common? They both represent 1 & 6, 3 & 5, 7 & 4, 2 & 8 as being mating cylinders. See where I'm going with this? 1 & 6 are both at top dead center at the same time, the difference is that when one is on the exhaust stroke, it's mate is on the compression stroke. You always want to adjust the valve on the back side of the lobe, which is where you will be if it’s on the compression stroke

I have adjusted valves on many small block fords on the engine stand this way and never had to fuss with it again once the engine was installed. If you do it this way, you can safely say that your valves are adjusted.

BH

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
We haven't heard from you on this. Did the prob just up and go away or what? ???

OP
OP
T

teknalee

rocketdog/mark came by yesterday morning and gave me a hand with it.. thanks guys!

TMC

Loc.
Apple Valley, Minnesota
My rockers were ticking too. Although it seemed only to do it when the RPM were elevated like at highway speeds. Finally I took off the oil pan. The intake screen was 90% blocked with sludge and the pan had an inch of god awful stuff in the bottom. I guess the result from previous owner and 25 years of dirt roads in the mountains of Colorado Springs. No wonder! I put in a new oil pump and cleaned the intake... No Ticking!

Cool!

Paul