• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ICON to build a Bronco!?!?

BALCH-Autoworx

Last edited:

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
That would be cool to see, unfortunately unless I win a lottery, I won't be able to afford one. Had an FJ 40 I was building before Bronco's and this was the gold standard. Ironically I was talking to Tasker about this and from the vendors and other available suppliers out there you could certainly put one together from the bottom up, and they obviously have the facilitiy and talent. Can't wait to see if it is a Classic Bronco.

barronj

Bronco Guru
They're asking $79,000 for the CJ... wonder what the Bronco will bring?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Maybe they will offer it with the diesel. Those things are sweet, very pricey but sweet, love the FJ
I knew they were doing an fj-40, didnt know about the 43 and 45, is the 43 a factory or a hybrid?

TN1776

Bronco Guru
It will be interesting to see their EB offering. That may be our only hope at a "new" Bronco - too bad the pricetag is so high. I think their FJ40 offering is sweet - I'd drive the hell out of it!

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
All you need is a credit card and a phone.

With the regular Bronco suppliers, BC's and Wild Horses, Duffs, etc, you could easily build a brand new EB.

So far there is no steel tub available, but all the parts of the tub are available, just need a mounting jig to keep em straight while they get welded together.

Be better to use a few parts of an old one anyway so you could use the VIN, and dodge most of the DMV, DOT, & EPA hassles.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Maybe they will offer it with the diesel. Those things are sweet, very pricey but sweet, love the FJ
I knew they were doing an fj-40, didnt know about the 43 and 45, is the 43 a factory or a hybrid?

Body wise they are true to the originals. Have a budy who has the right hand drive "pick-up". www.Ih8mud.com is a very popular site for the Landcruiser crowd. My old 40 is below but I sold it to buy Liz.

Attachments

• cruiser3.JPG
    cruiser3.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 155
  • dside compressed.JPG
    dside compressed.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 133

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
About 3-4 yrs ago, I spoke with the head desginer (possibly owner) of ICON. I was curious about their process regarding powder-coating the body panels. What kind of powder, etc? He was very cool. He told me that they were approched by Ford about doing a Bronco for one of the big shows....but that nothing had come out of it yet.

The ICON TLC is a really nice, quality vehicle. Is it pricey? Sure. But you are getting a pretty capable vehicle, aluminum body, glavanized frame ( I do believe they galvanize their frames, I know it was something I discussed with him when I spoke with him...maybe it was only an option). Can you do it cheaper? SURE. Can you build something very similar more trail-worthy and more capable for less? Sure you can, but for some people it works for them to just buy something already done. I do believe that the same would be true for a Bronco. There is very little that is left of an original Land Cruiser when they are done. With a Bronco, the same is true for many of our builds. It would be awesome if they could use their expertise to produce an aluminum tub for our trucks. I doubt it will come to pass, but it would be cool.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
So far there is no steel tub available, but all the parts of the tub are available

Dynacorn will be releasing a complete EB tub and/or body in 2010. They make the repro Mustang bodies. ToddZ and I spoke with them at SEMA. It was supposed to debut there this year, but was delayed.

My guess is that it will be $12-$15K based on their other current offerings.

just need a mounting jig .
;D

As a manufactuing engineer I can tell you that sounds much simpler than it is to execute.

I'm not sure that 100% of the panels are yet currently available, and many that are, are repair or patch panels that may not have the proper flanges to do an OEM type assembly. Not to mention that my experiance with most of these panels has proven that they are not very consistant, or at least did not match up well to a couple very nice, very straight projects I have used them on.

I can not imagine that a hodge-podge of sheetmetal from various sources with varying fits and quality control would produce a high quality finished result.

When I worked in the tank and fender dept. at the York Harley Davidson factory, just keeping relatively simple tins for the bikes to HD's high standards was sometimes a challenge!

Even with a company like Dynacorn who is doing all the panels inhouse presumeably, it is still a challenge to pull of in low volume.

Has anyone heard of someone actually sucesfully assembing one of the metal body kits JBG has advertised?

Last edited:

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I had a hell of a time just mounting a "orignal ford tooling" grille, wasnt even close, had to oblong all the mounting holes a ton. couldent even imagine trying to put a tub together.

70BRCO

Loc.
Glendora, CA 91741
Those ICON Broncos are going to be sweet....

I've gone by their shop a couple of times to buy/pick up some of the Early Bronco parts I needed for my restoration that they weren't going to be using...had the pleasure of meeting and talking to the owner, he showed me around the shop, one of the EB's, fab work, the new crate V8 engine, atlas transfercase, custom paneling...after seeing the work they were putting in to it and what ICON puts out with the FJ's you can just imagen what the final EB's are going to be like...can't wait to see them all done

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
That is an entirely different problem, unfortunately. That is more of an issue of tool wear over the stamping die's life, or inconsistency between dies if Ford used multiple dies.

I had a hell of a time just mounting a "orignal ford tooling" grille, wasnt even close, had to oblong all the mounting holes a ton. couldent even imagine trying to put a tub together.

shawski

Loc.
Naperville, IL
What company is Rebuilding classic broncos...

Hi all,

I'm heard a rumor there is a company, maybe a newer company, that is taking old broncos and in a higher production method rebuilding back to a how customer wants. Costing as much as $60k, etc, depending upon upgrades.

Has anyone heard of this company? Sounds like its for the richy rich guy that doesn't want his fingernails dirty. I'm curious as to what they're doing to justify the high priced end product.

Thanks

Shaw

66' bronco

Loc.
Manistique, MI
Build a bronco from this site builds broncos for people like you said. Not sure on the prices but I believe they are a sponsor on this site also.

daveCFPrez

Loc.
Federal Way
I did read about this in the last few months of road and track, or car and driver. It was a car magazine in the dealerships waiting room as I was getting my car serviced, but I can't remember who it was. $60k was the right price I do remember that.

dave

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
There are plenty of companies that are rebuilding Broncos and charging the customer 60k. Surely this will be quite a kickass Bronco and if they add their overhead it will easily go to 60k and more.

If we look at various members on this site, the parts on their rigs easily culminate to 45k plus. That is not including the hundreds if not thousands of hours they put into it.

BC Broncos for example made one that was 60k. I can see why it went that high. Great parts and great workmanship. Im sure Nicks Trix has made several that are in that price range as well as the other vendors. There is also a rumor that ICON will take on the Bronco in which case a 70k+ price tag would not surprise me.

Dont get me wrong. For 60k, it had better be a kickass Bronco.

I can easily make a parts list that will go to 60k. Is that to say that you cant have a great Bronco for 10k, NO. But its just a different animal altogether. Would I buy a Bronco for 60k? NO. Im enjoying building mine even tho Im spending a bit more than I had hoped.

I dont think its fair to lookdown on people who prefer to buy their Broncos. We all have other cars that we bought sitting at home. Some just dont have the time or the space or the knowledge to do a build. We cant fault them for that. And hell if they got the cash, Im happy that they are supporting our vendors. At least its a Bronco ;D