• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ICON to build a Bronco!?!?

daveCFPrez

Loc.
Federal Way
I dont think its fair to lookdown on people who prefer to buy their Broncos. We all have other cars that we bought sitting at home. Some just dont have the time or the space or the knowledge to do a build. We cant fault them for that. And hell if they got the cash, Im happy that they are supporting our vendors. At least its a Bronco ;D

In my very short time here I haven't seen anyone "looking down" on someone else just because they bought their bronco and didn't build it. I know I don't have the time, space, knowledge, or tools to build one. Maybe when I retire I can start thinking like that, but I purchased mine the way it stand now, and that was one of the reasons I bought it - I don't think I have much more to do to it.

dave

anziosaint

I personally spoke to a guy at nickstrix who threw out the numbers 50-60k! I immediately had the feeling to hang up on him but did not as I was in shock. Needless to say my restoration is slow but underway by me myself an I. I am picking up my bronco design tub this week!

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
In my very short time here I haven't seen anyone "looking down" on someone else just because they bought their bronco and didn't build it. I know I don't have the time, space, knowledge, or tools to build one. Maybe when I retire I can start thinking like that, but I purchased mine the way it stand now, and that was one of the reasons I bought it - I don't think I have much more to do to it.

dave

I guess looking down is the wrong terminology on my end. I was just refering to the "richy rich dont want to get their fingernails dirty" comment. Originally I also just wanted to buy an EB, which I did. I was so happy about it. 5 hours into the drive I met other Bronco guys and I guess thats when the bug bit me ;D

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
The guys at ICON 4x4 typically use axle assemblies from Dynatrac. Big discs all around and some kind of locker. Dynatrac axle assemblies front and rear with ARB and Willwood 6 piston brakes will alone run you about 12 grand not shipped or installed for the Bronco. With all the crazy suspension setups and a nice new crate motor a new body from dynakorn, a nice 10k paintjob. It would be too easy to surpass 60k just on parts.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I restore cars for a living, even our 'budget' projects push $60-80k, if you want over the top custom then we are in the six figures.......

I'm also starting a Bronco specific restoration shop and if you want quality parts and good quality paint, a Bronco will easily cost $50-60+k! I can honestly say $40k would be a true budget build, especially with the cost of labor. And I don't charge all that much......

Look at some of the frame off builds and you'll get an Idea of what it takes to build as rig from the ground up, better yet break open some parts house catologs and start to add up the parts.

KuttySark

Loc.
Southern California
I personally spoke to a guy at nickstrix who threw out the numbers 50-60k! I immediately had the feeling to hang up on him but did not as I was in shock. Needless to say my restoration is slow but underway by me myself an I. I am picking up my bronco design tub this week!

Add up the time you spend working on your truck and imagine you bill for that time. Come up with a number that reflects your skill after years of building broncos. Now add up a parts list for the truck that you would expect to get from a quality builder. It's very, very easy to see how you can hit 50K or even 60K. Thinking you'll end up with a NicksTrix style build for much less is actually shocking.

Congrats on having the patience, wherewithal and time to work on your truck yourself.

chuck489

Loc.
Dahlonega, GA
I have spoken to Nicks Trix and BC Broncos via e-mail and both stated a fresh up runs between 20K-30K, while a full on custom runs 50K plus. I can not afford it, but the way I look at it, a 60K build would be done EXACTLY the way I wanted my dream EB to be. And with a fulled loaded Explorer running between 40K-45K...If I you paid 60K for an essentially brand new vehicle, it is not out of reason. A 2011 fully loaded anything will be dead in 10 years. A fully restored 40+ year old vehicle will last another 40!

shawski

Loc.
Naperville, IL
Interesting comments all, thanks for sharing your thoughts. DaveCFPrez had it right, it was in a magazine recently. I'll look into the past few months main stream magazines.

Also, I really didn't mean to offend anyone with the "richy rich" comment. It was a joke, sometimes it is nice to just buy something that works perfectly and have less worries. I've gone both ways in my past with the EB's. Sorry.

And yes, for 60k anyone could build you a nice rig. I'm just curious who this company is, and why they're getting street cred with major magazines, and why none of our fellow Classic Bronco guys are mainstream...all about money. I do know, the guys on this site are the true bronco pro's. I've learned so much from many of our members.

take care.
shaw

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Nicks prices are on as far as I am concerned, chances are you talke to Nick himself. When you figure a good restoration can easily run you 20K using all of your own labor, adding the labor of a shop, the specialized tools they have, overhead etc. 50 - 60 K is not that bad. Go look at a new vehicle for comparison, they are pushing 50K all day long, the only difference is they are common and a Bronco is classic... not tomention it will hold its value much higher than that new car over the next 5 years of its life....

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
i bought my 73 with what i thought was little work to be done,as i wanted to build it as i had time and money but drive it in the mean time. It sat for a while drove it, replaced and up graded parts then got married and it sat some more. Got divorsed, basically finished it.. ROLLED and now doing another with the leftovers and the insurance check, a few bonus checks, Irs checks and help of some of the brothers on here. Ya i could have bought on out right and had a good looking bronco, but it was about the people and the wrench time for me. Im sure im close to the 20k mark as i stand now but really the value of the bronco is priceless due to everything else. You get what you pay for, does not matter if your turning a key or a wrench the end is the same your driving your bronco.;D

daveCFPrez

Loc.
Federal Way
Interesting comments all, thanks for sharing your thoughts. DaveCFPrez had it right, it was in a magazine recently. I'll look into the past few months main stream magazines.

a few weeks back myself and a few guys at work tried to google a bronco resto playce and didn't come up with anything anyone here hasn't already mentioned. I wish I would have entered that info into my phone now!

dave

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
can't imagine buying a restored Bronco for $60gs. depending on the model and after some super discounts by the dealer that's about $15,000 - $20,000 more than a nice, brand new Lexus and about $10,000 more than a nice, brand new diesel pickup. guess each to his own...

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
better yet break open some parts house catologs and start to add up the parts.

I did that once about 7 years ago , when I thought I had the money laying around to build up a heller rig. Yeah ... right !
One humbled Hoosier walkin' out of the "study" that night ! LOL

thesnake

Bronco Guru
It was probably Rocky Roads. They have those quality, wildly built broncos that are sure worth the asking price lol

vinson

Loc.
south bend
Being in the final stages of a frame off, I thought that I had an idea of what it would cost, but I can say that I don't even want to add up the receipts,an the only thing that was done out of house was the paint job.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
We build EBs. The 3 on our site went $37k, $42k and $60k. The labor was between $7500 and $15,000 everything else was Parts. When you start adding up parts and labor you will find that very reasonable. And yes ICON is working on 2-3 EBs right now

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
$60-80/hour adds up quick, if anyone even charges that little these days! I couldnt afford 60K but I dont see it as unreasonable.

Hell you want sticker shock take a look at the buggies they are putting out there these days! Especially the guys moving up to KOH/Ultra 4 level!

buildabronco.com

Loc.
Tekonsha, Mi
We are right in line with Chuck on prices. We offer some turn key Broncos that were not body off that can be in the $10-20K range. A complete Body Off will usually start around $25K and goes up from there with any added accessories. You can spend a TON of money on parts very fast. I think that is where the $50-60K prices come from. A paint job alone can vary by many thousands of dollars depending on the color and extras to be painted. Ex. Cowl, underhood, engine bay, underbody.