• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ICON to build a Bronco!?!?

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We build EBs. The 3 on our site went $37k, $42k and $60k. The labor was between $7500 and $15,000 everything else was Parts.

WOW , I would have thought that the labor would out pace the parts , as seems to be the case in ANYTHING you hire out.

In that case , maybe I'll start stocking parts for a few years then trailer a bunch of stuff to Texas for assembley. Definitely get "done" faster that way ... :p

bosshoff

Contributor
I have a classix car, OK, don't laugh it is a 1974 Cutlass Supreme. Anyway, a really good local restorer and I spoke about a paint job. He seemed to think $6-12K was about right. Needless to say, I will probably better get Maaco, as my car is not a 69 Judge, Yenko Camero, or Shelby Cobra. This is the playing field he operates in. I just have a daily driver that I like to smoke the tires in.
A $60K custom Bronco with a 10K paint job, not so crazy.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
if i could afford it i'd pay to have one built by one of these shops. have you seen the attention to detail on these rigs? i'd take that over a new vehicle that depreciates immediately.

talkbronco

I agree with mavereq, I was at nicks trix the other day to pick up a half cab top from him and he had a red one for a customer in the shop that was just completed I have to say this thing was amazing and the attention to detail is over the top.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/ It was Dynacorn Classic Bodies, they were also making early mustang and camaro bodies. They have been keeping the publicity on it very low for some reason(possibly SEMA 11' unvail), awhile back they had a small blurb about doing Bronco's but I cant find it now, I have the link saved at work, if its still good I will post it.

I posted this last year for the FAQ:

Question: 2010/05/02

How about a 66-77 Ford Bronco Body?

Answer: 2010/05/05

Should be available by the beginning of next year.

It was in auto week.........
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100609/CARNEWS/100609847

shaun8541

Loc.
Healdsburg, CA

The next big project from ICON will be our take on the first generation Bronco.
I have collaborated with the star designer from Ford, Camilo Pardo, who designed the Ford GT.
He is a gifted designer and a blast to work with.
We have also been very pleased with the amount of product and engineering support we have received on the Bronco project,
from all of our top vendors plus a few new ones.
Watch for the debut this fall.
Our friends at Nike even decided to join our development team, and they have provided key engineering, CAD math, and prototyping.
Nike???
Though the pairing may seem odd initially, upon closer examination it becomes apparent that ICON & Nike have a fair bit in common.
Every Nike shoe has a design history rooted in a classic product, new products are the result of progressive design, novel materials,
and efficient manufacturing processes.
Nike pushes the limits of established materials and construction with innovative solutions.
More on this soon!

Jonathan Ward

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
It would be cool if I had that type of money so it will probably never happen:(. Maybe I will starting building my own and sellling them, what will I call my company%)

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I have actaully thought about this one a lot, I think there is a market for a high-end Bronco a couple of things I would do if I where building them though is:

Kevlar bodies with a carbon fiber outer coat option. I think this is lighter, more flexible when hit and more durable than aluminum.

I would make it a point to remove as much steel from the truck a possible in an effort to try to make the truck last a lifetime.

I would run all aluminum 9 inches front and rear, ones like this:

0111p.jpg

I would add a heat treated cromoly cage.

spray-in liner or aluminum diamond plate for the interior.

I would offer three engine configurations, either a:

BMW N54 it is a I6 3.0 twin turbo that puts out 335 HP and 332 ft lbs of torque from the factory.

or a

4BT, I am really surprised that Icon went with a Detroit in their vehicles. There are so many performance mods and aftermarket support for the 4BT that it seems like the only logical choice. A small Cat like the C 4.4 would be cool, but it is hard to ignore the fact that the 4BT has so much momentum behind it that it would be the best choice.

or a

All electric with a warP 13 motor, with this one you can scrap the transmission and use the transfer case as a reduction gear. The nice part about the warP is it puts out amazing HP numbers and it can be adjusted on the fly, so while you are street driving you can keep it powered at 250 or so horsepower and then when you take it off road you can jump it up to 1000 HP. It drains the batteries a lot faster, but there is a lot of space in the bay for some high capacity batteries. It seems natural to offer an all electric in such a high price point vehicle.

I would price the entry level truck at 100k and I would offer a lifetime warranty, the point of the warranty is not so much that you would not have to fix the truck but at that price point you could replace the truck 3 times over before you start to eat up profit. Many of the people that purchase these kind of truck like to feel like they have purchased the most rugged and dependable vehicle on the planet, Land Rover has plaid on this very well. A lifetime warranty puts that in writing and is a hell of a marketing tool when advertising to this market segment. The reality is these buyers may do some light offroading when they go to there ranch in Montana and drive around the place but very few are going to abuse these things and if built right, you will see few warranty claims.

Anyways, as you can see, I have given it a lot of thought, I think there is a market there for it, obviously Icon does too. The EB is the nicest looking of all the small utility vehicle and seems like the natural choice to build a truck like this on. I have the capital if I decide that I want to start building trucks but I have a lot more to learn about the EB and I have to decide if I want to take that leap.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Planned debut is at SEMA this fall. Really looking forward to seeing what they come up with as the final product. When I stopped by last month, they had a donor truck or two there and a few things started, but a long way to go yet.

If I had to guess, I'd say we're looking at $120-130K for one of them, minimum.

Todd Z.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
120 - 130K for one of them is completely outrageous! :eek:

For that kinda change I think that we could all put together a pretty nice example of an EB that would be pretty capable. ;D

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I think if you started with a nice low rust body and frame for 40k you do up a top shelf ride,but I'm gonna have to just keep at my ole bronc as I go along.Hard enuff to keep the wife at bay now cause it is e-z to spend several $$$ a month.It would be nice to have a RESTOMOD or new EB STYLE Bronco though.real nice!!~!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

For that kinda change I think that we could all put together a pretty nice example of an EB that would be pretty capable. ;D

Well, like I said, it was just a guess :). We'll see how close I am in the months ahead.

Todd Z.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I bet they will be way up there in price as well if their FJ version is any indicator.

We've done some notable high end restos and custom builds and it looks like they use top shelf parts, but I'm still having a hard time justifying those types of dollars. But if they can get it, all the better. It will make ours all look like bargains when we sell!

I wonder if they are going to powder coat the sheetmetal on the EB like I read they do on the others. I never understood that at all? PC is way overrated IMO for most applications. It was developed as a quick, cheap and more environmentally friendly production coating, not a "high end" finish.

Not to mention that touching up and blending any damage would be damn near impossible (it is hard to find paint shops that can do truly undetectable jobs, and paint has been around since day 1 in the auto industry).

I look forward to seeing what they are creating though!

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL

I would say most of us on this board are not the target market. This is not meant to disparage any of us, but most on this site at least know how to turn a wrench and many know how to fabricate. While I am new to Bronco's I have been around trucks all my life and can get around them pretty well. That being said 100k or so seems outrageous to me for a truck. But that is because with a little bit of sweat I could build one just as nice for 25-30k. And a really nice one for 40k. But then factor in labor and they really don't seem that pricy.

The Range Rover is over 80k. The hand built G 500 from Mercedes is over 100k. Sure you can have a custom builder build you a nice truck for 50-60k but the market they are targeting is not really the market that goes out and commissions a custom build.

They are more the market that sees an ad in Robb Report and decides to buy on an impulse. 100k is a drop in the bucket to these people and quite a few of them have never been around mechanics or fabrication. They just want a nice truck that is a little different from everyone else and they want to go down to the store and pick one up.

Or at least have a the features packaged up for them. They want someone to tell them yes a 9 inch front and rear is a good thing, the body will never rust and the roll bar is made from the best material out there. They have no interest is researching all of that info and just want something that is built to the highest standards.

Growing up in South Florida and being an executive at a fortune 500 company in my former life, I know this market very well. Icon is on to something and is targeting a market few have targeted with sport trucks. Personally I would have started with the EB because it is so unique that it draws attention that is what this market want is a truck that is different from the rest the FJ they started with is too close to a Jeep in my opinion and I am surprised they had as much success as they did with it. I would assume it is because restored FJ's command a pretty good amount, it is similar to the Land Rover Defender in that it retains a lot of value. They may have assumed that because of the higher priced market that it would bear a 70k FJ, it appears that they where correct.

To me given the market they are targeting I think 100k plus is reasonable considering quality of craftsmanship, the quality of parts used, and the labor involved. My understanding is the pretty much cut out the frame numbers and weld them to a new frame, the rest of the truck is brand new and hand built. I read that the emblem alone is made by a jeweler and cost them $400 to produce.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I would say most of us on this board are not the target market. This is not meant to disparage any of us, but most on this site at least know how to turn a wrench and many know how to fabricate. While I am new to Bronco's I have been around trucks all my life and can get around them pretty well. That being said 100k or so seems outrageous to me for a truck. But that is because with a little bit of sweat I could build one just as nice for 25-30k. And a really nice one for 40k. But then factor in labor and they really don't seem that pricy.

The Range Rover is over 80k. The hand built G 500 from Mercedes is over 100k. Sure you can have a custom builder build you a nice truck for 50-60k but the market they are targeting is not really the market that goes out and commissions a custom build.

They are more the market that sees an ad in Robb Report and decides to buy on an impulse. 100k is a drop in the bucket to these people and quite a few of them have never been around mechanics or fabrication. They just want a nice truck that is a little different from everyone else and they want to go down to the store and pick one up.

Or at least have a the features packaged up for them. They want someone to tell them yes a 9 inch front and rear is a good thing, the body will never rust and the roll bar is made from the best material out there. They have no interest is researching all of that info and just want something that is built to the highest standards.

Growing up in South Florida and being an executive at a fortune 500 company in my former life, I know this market very well. Icon is on to something and is targeting a market few have targeted with sport trucks. Personally I would have started with the EB because it is so unique that it draws attention that is what this market want is a truck that is different from the rest the FJ they started with is too close to a Jeep in my opinion and I am surprised they had as much success as they did with it. I would assume it is because restored FJ's command a pretty good amount, it is similar to the Land Rover Defender in that it retains a lot of value. They may have assumed that because of the higher priced market that it would bear a 70k FJ, it appears that they where correct.

To me given the market they are targeting I think 100k plus is reasonable considering quality of craftsmanship, the quality of parts used, and the labor involved. My understanding is the pretty much cut out the frame numbers and weld them to a new frame, the rest of the truck is brand new and hand built. I read that the emblem alone is made by a jeweler and cost them $400 to produce.

I don't disagree with any of those thoughts! It is true that the market they are targeting is one that wants a turn key product that they can just drive away.

It iwll be interesting to see what they come up with.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Has anyone seen or used the Dynacorn body yet? Just a thought?

Just came from their site and they did not show it?Hum -- I thought they already offered it?

Last edited:

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Has anyone seen or used the Dynacorn body yet? Just a thought?

Just came from their site and they did not show it?Hum -- I thought they already offered it?

It is WAY past due and after some digging, I have not heard anything that makes me want one at this point. I heard they had terrible quality issues with the Mustang bodies and had to buy many of the first delivered back.

I think FoMoCo jumped the gun by announcing the officially licensed body was to be released soon...nearly two years ago! %) I was hoping to see it at SEMA in 2010 when it was supposed to debut but did not make it. I spoke with the Dynacorn reps and it sounded to me like they had a lot of work left (and possibly some issues they avoided specifics on).

I heard the tops are coming in from overseas knocked down and much be assembled and welded. Does not seem like the the near drop on body many would want or expect for the estimated $15K price tag.

With the expected fitting and possible quality issues I have heard about, I'd buy a good near rust free Bronco for $10-$15K, strip it and sell what I do not need.

However, if they get it to the point it is a near drop on with minimal fuss, that would be a sweet option for the foundation of a frame off build.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Me personally for 15k I would rather see someone come out with a Kevlar or carbon fiber tub. No rust issues and stronger yet more give than the original or fiberglass tubs. I am going to drop a layer of cloth from one of the two over my existing tub, I would pull molds from it and just reproduce the parts but my tub is old and the lines are not true. I don't even know who made it, but the tailgate is molded in, so it would not make a good tub to pull molds from. I would buy a Kevlar or carbon fiber tub in a heart beat if someone offered one.