• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Identifying 4r70w (AWD vs 4WD)

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I need some assistance identifying the physical characteristics between a 4WD 4r70w and a AWD 4r70w based solely on the transmission and not the adapter or transfer case for the 96-01 Explorers.

Heading the a yard to snag a trans for a 99 Explorer 4x4 and really want to make sure I get a 4WD variant. This would be easy if it were installed on the vehicle but this place already has them pulled and they claim there is no difference between the two. I know the output shaft is slightly different but I need some other things to look for.

Any suggestions or pics would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is no difference. Just a variation in naming. The AWD is a full time 4WD without low range.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Then why are folks so caught up on using a 4WD variant for a transplant? I am confused.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I need some assistance identifying the physical characteristics between a 4WD 4r70w and a AWD 4r70w based solely on the transmission and not the adapter or transfer case for the 96-01 Explorers.

Heading the a yard to snag a trans for a 99 Explorer 4x4 and really want to make sure I get a 4WD variant. This would be easy if it were installed on the vehicle but this place already has them pulled and they claim there is no difference between the two. I know the output shaft is slightly different but I need some other things to look for.

Any suggestions or pics would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Probing my memory (which sometimes is a BAD thing ;) ) the AWD unit like I used has a splined shaft that is different from the 4WD unit. The Advanced Adapter AOD spud shaft slips right onto the AWD shaft (the length still needs to be shortened) while the 4WD trans needs to have its output shaft replaced. Same transmission, different output shafts.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I remember it.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I plan to go the 4wd 4r route with zf adapter but have had zero luck finding a 4wd v8 version. Folks on the explorer forum are telling me it doesn't exist as all v8 were awd.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I plan to go the 4wd 4r route with zf adapter but have had zero luck finding a 4wd v8 version. Folks on the explorer forum are telling me it doesn't exist as all v8 were awd.

They are correct. All Explorers were AWD (the model that you don't need to take apart and replace the shaft on). Going with the F-150 or Expedition models of the 4R70W will require the output shaft to be replaced (and it's the first part in the trans...first in = last out...Total teardown).

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Well I know you used a ZF on your build with an AWD variant from a 5.0, MaBronco. So I have been looking for the wrong thing the whole time? Instead of a 4WD, I needed an AWD? FML!!!

I called two Ford dealerships assuming the guy at the counter hopefully had some kind of knowledge. They looked up Explorer transmission part numbers and only two come up.

AWD/4X4 w/ 5.0 is XL2Z-7V000-BARM

and

2X4 w/ 5.0 is XL2Z-7V000-AARM

If this is all correct, then I found a 4R70W from a 99 Explorer 5.0 at a yard with 56K miles for $500.00.

Seems pretty steep but if that mileage is correct I think it may be worth the extra coin to avoid a rebuild since I am just going to cut the outputshaft to use the ZF adapter with my D20.

Does this pass the sanity check???

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
They made 2wd and 4wd 4r70w's in 5.0 Explorers. If you get one from a 5.0 4wd/awd Explorer, all you need is a $379 zf adapter that you can install at home to mount it to your Dana 20 in your bronco now.
http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_169&products_id=173

Stop trying to confuse yourself with the AWD/4x4 terminology.
If you get a 2wd 4r70w, you will have to buy a $500 dollar adapter and have a trans shop install it.
http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1977

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the clarification. I must have written the wrong info in my research notes a few months back. Makes me sick all the time I have lost and all the time I have spent scouring the yards looking for a ghost.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've been playing with 4R's for some time. I picked up a recent Jasper rebuild for $150, I chose that over a 60K transmission for $180. I guess I'm just lucky -

They are all the same, the pinouts are a bit different through the years (power distribution went from the harness to inside on the board)

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Wow! Awesome finds! Wish i could come across a lead like that!!!

Ranchtruck

The 4r70w's use the same interface no matter what they are in if they have a transfer case on the back of them.

A common swap is to use the BW 4406 4x4 transfer case out of a F150 in an explorer. It bolts right up to replace the AWD transfer case. So it's the same output shaft and flange. You could put a NP205 or bw 13-56 back there if you wanted or use a zf adapter for the d20.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 4r70w's use the same interface no matter what they are in if they have a transfer case on the back of them.

A common swap is to use the BW 4406 4x4 transfer case out of a F150 in an explorer. It bolts right up to replace the AWD transfer case. So it's the same output shaft and flange. You could put a NP205 or bw 13-56 back there if you wanted or use a zf adapter for the d20.

X2

AWD is simply a grocery getter, ski slope running automatic version of 4WD without low range or driver control. I remember trying to track down this information 10 years ago. The stuff was really new then, little was known. But once we found that it was the same mating as standard full size truck 4WD stuff then it opened the doors for what could be done.

If the transmission has a different number between an explorer and a truck it is just an internal calibration change if not simply the difference in wiring or something like that.