• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I'm stuck Help Needed

gsmalley

Like it says, I'm stuck. I have a 3 speed with a column shifter. The shifter collar broke. I ordered a new one and have reached this point of disassembly. I do not know how to remove the shift collar. I have looked for a video online but have only found a video for an automatic shifter. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, it has been a couple of weeks and although I was careful in removing the pieces I am wondering off anybody has a schematic for the column, if so this will help with reassembly.
IMG_0251.jpg
IMG_0250.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey gs, sorry you're needing to dig into one of the less understood bits of a Bronco!
Lucky for most of us we have not had a busted collar (yet) so have not needed to know.

Are you sure that the auto version is not the same, or at least similar enough to the manual as to get you there? Sounds like it's not, but I was wondering.
Is there a hidden clip holding it together?

Have you removed the shaft? What about the lower shift arms? Seems like the shift collar comes straight out with the shift tube attached, which means the shift tube must be released at the other end of the column so it can pull out.

Sorry I've never actually done one. But several members have, so hopefully they're not taking Saturday away from the computer and can give you the rundown.

Good luck.

Paul