• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help please! Single brake light stuck on!

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
I had that same problem once and figured out that I had installed the switch on the brake pedal upside down and that some how kept the brake lights on.

OP
OP
Bronco_007

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
Hi everyone. Figured I should lend some resolution. Turns out the issue was the face of the brake pedal push rod on which the switch is mounted, it wasn’t flat. I took everything out and compared the new one to the factory one inside the factory master cylinder. Ford’s was flat and smooth. The new one with my kit had a big rib running laterally down the center, evident from the casting no doubt. Several passes with a bastard file flattened it out. The switch is now flush. And the problem is solved.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great news! Glad you took it down, but sorry you went through so much trouble to get there.
Sounds like the turn-signal switch needed some help anyway, but finding both issues got it done.

So what's next!

Paul

OP
OP
Bronco_007

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
Great news! Glad you took it down, but sorry you went through so much trouble to get there.
Sounds like the turn-signal switch needed some help anyway, but finding both issues got it done.

So what's next!

Paul
Fuel system! Tank and lines are good. But must relocate the vapor canister that’s inside the cab. Should I attempt to mount it against the firewall inside the engine bay or just deep-six it? Also, anyone know where to find the mushroom cap for the tube on the charcoal canister?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would not try to mount the existing one anywhere else. I think it would be simpler to upgrade to the '76 and later plastic charcoal canister system and mount that high up on the firewall instead.
Don't deep six the old one just yet though. Someone doing a restoration or just needing one that does not leak, or just wanting to confirm their connections are correct, might want to take it off your hands.

Paul

OP
OP
Bronco_007

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
I would not try to mount the existing one anywhere else. I think it would be simpler to upgrade to the '76 and later plastic charcoal canister system and mount that high up on the firewall instead.
Don't deep six the old one just yet though. Someone doing a restoration or just needing one that does not leak, or just wanting to confirm their connections are correct, might want to take it off your hands.

Paul
So get the vapor condenser out of the cab, and then look at replacing the metal charcoal canister that’s behind the wheel well with a plastic model that mounts under the hood on the firewall. Do I understand?

OP
OP
Bronco_007

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL

Paul
Also, what is wrong with the one behind the wheel well? Is the issue that it’s too low/needs to be above fuel tank level?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct.
Not a big deal for a passenger car to have a low mounted canister, but on a utility vehicle that might go off-road, or even stay parked on an incline for extended periods, the chance of liquid fuel getting up into the low mounted charcoal canister was pretty high.
So Ford came up with the condensing tank up inside the cab where it could be mounted high up and collect both liquid gas if it was able to get up that high, and even condense some of the vapors and return them to the gas tank. Rather than have all the vapors just collect in the charcoal canister and then get used inside the engine later when it’s running.
At least that’s the way I understood the system to have been originally been designed.

By the late 70s, all sorts of safety regulations were taking place, along with emissions regulations.
One mandate was the fuel be eliminated from inside the cabins of the vehicles. Probably starting in the 77 or 78 model year.
I think lighter duty vehicles had to meet those standards in 77 and heavier trucks got to wait till 78.
So sometime in 76 Ford got rid of the condensing tank inside Broncos and went to what we know as a more modern charcoal canister mounted up high.
In mid 77 the pick up trucks changed drastically and got rid of all the gas tanks that were still behind the seat in the cab.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronco_007

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
Correct.
Not a big deal for a passenger car to have a low mounted canister, but on a utility vehicle that might go off-road, or even stay parked on an incline for extended periods, the chance of liquid fuel getting up into the low mounted charcoal canister was pretty high.
So Ford came up with the condensing tank up inside the cab where it could be mounted high up and collect both liquid gas if it was able to get up that high, and even condense some of the vapors and return them to the gas tank. Rather than have all the vapors just collect in the charcoal canister and then get used inside the engine later when it’s running.
At least that’s the way I understood the system to have been originally been designed.

By the late 70s, all sorts of safety regulations were taking place, along with emissions regulations.
One mandate was the fuel be eliminated from inside the cabins of the vehicles. Probably starting in the 77 or 78 model year.
I think lighter duty vehicles had to meet those standards in 77 and heavier trucks got to wait till 78.
So sometime in 76 Ford got rid of the condensing tank inside Broncos and went to what we know as a more modern charcoal canister mounted up high.
In mid 77 the pick up trucks changed drastically and got rid of all the gas tanks that were still behind the seat in the cab.
Thanks Paul!