• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Imbalance

chuck1022

Contributor
If my 77 is a 28oz imbalance, but i buy an entire 302 with a 50oz imbalance...im good right....my c4 doesnt care....

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
chuck1022,

The transmission does not care what imbalance the engine is. Just get the correct flexplate for your C4.

v/r,

SevenT

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What SevenT said.
As long as your engine is truly "complete" right down to the flywheel/flexplate and the harmonic damper.
If either of those is missing, or needs to be changed for some other reason, those are the two key items that need to match the engine (crankshaft) imbalance.

Paul

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
Is there a reason to run a 28-oz in Balance versus a 50 Oz imbalance? Or am I getting into the Weeds on that

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Is there a reason to run a 28-oz in Balance versus a 50 Oz imbalance? Or am I getting into the Weeds on that

If you run a 28 ounce imbalance crankshaft with a 50 ounce flywheel or harmonic balancer OR you run a 50 ounce imbalance crankshaft with a 28 ounce flywheel or harmonic balancer your engine will vibrate so badly that you will be certain that it is going to shake itself to death.

So, no, there is no reason to do it except ignorance.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

If you want to get into high RPM race stuff, zero balance. All the balancing is done in the crank itself.
For the street and trail, it makes no difference.

Think of the crankshaft as a wheel. But very precise that needs the exact same wheel weights in the exact same place every time. The damper and flexplate have the correct weights in the correct spot. So long as you use the parts that match the crank, all is happy. But put the wrong weights on, it won't be happy. And both of the correct weights have to be installed.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they said.
And just for clarity, it's not "balance" in this case. It's referred to as the "imbalance factor" because that additional weight is added to the the damper and flywheel.

You can still fine-tune the overall balance of the rotating assembly during a build, just like you could with any other engine. Whether it's a zero imbalance, a 28oz imbalance, or a 50oz imbalance, the other balancing techniques can still apply if you want a finer balance.

So you can still pay a machine shop extra money to take every piston, rod, crank, damper, flywheel and clutch and either add, or subtract material to make them balanced to a finer degree.
They're simply matching those 28 or 50 ounce to an even closer tolerance. Down to fractions of a gram sometimes.

Paul

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
wrong flexplate and you are hard on front bushing in trans. and you'll feel it like a out of balance tire as mentioned.
you don't want that...

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
I just had a back and forth with Blueprint engines....they said that they can put whatever imbalance and oil pan on that I want.....so that answers that.

I am gonna email and ask if they would put on my 2v intake manifold. My 2150 is rock solid reliable...the thought of swapping that out to...........whatever....gives me heart ache

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But now feeding how much more engine? Is this going to be a stock build? Or a way more healthy 302 than on which the 2bbl is running so nicely?

At least it's still a 302 (so far?) but are you sure it's going to run the exact same on the new setup? Gotta feel it's going to need at least a jet change, if not more.
Guess it depends on just how much more cam and exhaust is going to go with the new engine.

Paul

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
But now feeding how much more engine? Is this going to be a stock build? Or a way more healthy 302 than on which the 2bbl is running so nicely?

At least it's still a 302 (so far?) but are you sure it's going to run the exact same on the new setup? Gotta feel it's going to need at least a jet change, if not more.
Guess it depends on just how much more cam and exhaust is going to go with the new engine.

Paul

My plans are to keep it as stock as possible. The Blueprint engine I am eyeballing is this one:

https://blueprintengines.com/collec...k-ford-dressed-longblock-carburetor-bp3023ctc.

I would put my 2 barrel manifold on it with my 2150 and stock exhaust manifolds.

SHould be a good reliable runner I think

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No HP rating on that one? That's a nice cam, but certainly not one I'd consider a "stock-ish" upgrade!

Paul

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
No HP rating on that one? That's a nice cam, but certainly not one I'd consider a "stock-ish" upgrade!

Paul

Should be fairly decent with my 2bbl carb.....

I guess stockish would be about 170 horsepower