• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Increasing Inner Rear Fender Well

Bronco Beau

Loc.
Gravette
I wanted to start a thread and get some ideas of how I could increase the size of my inner rear fender well. They are 33" so any tire bigger than that will not tuck.. I was wondering if there was a fender off of another vechicle that may work on the bronco. I have remover my gas tank fillers so that would not be a problem. I also have the gorilla flares max'd out so you can see my inner fender. Options, photos, experience would be great. Thanks guys.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Are you trying to increase the length, make them wider on the outside, or wider on the inside, or increase the flare/opening? Each operation takes a different type of modding

OP
OP
Bronco Beau

Bronco Beau

Loc.
Gravette
I am trying to make the inner fender well wider. By wider I mean front to back wider. My outer fender runs from the door to to taillight. But I am worried when the tire tucks that it will hit the inner fender since they are so small.

camomog

Loc.
Reno, Nv.
Lots of people cut the wheel well in half and move it to make it longer (most to the rear) and then infill the gap with metal or part of a wheel well they got somewhare.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
My original ones were rusted out only on the slopped parts. I left 10" of the flat top section, split the new ones and welded them all together. Whellwells are now around 40" long. This eliminated the filler pipe sections in the inner quarter panels, filler tube is now in the very back of the whellwell.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I just did this. Bought a new wheel well from Bronco Graveyard. Used it to extend the wheel well. Here are a couple of pics from last weekend.

Attachments

• img_4653.jpg
    img_4653.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 70
  • img_4656.jpg
    img_4656.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Bronco Beau

Bronco Beau

Loc.
Gravette
Thanks a lot Steve,

Did you do that so you could extend your wheelbase or were your tires hitting on the inner fender well. If so what size tires were you running?

tsmustangs

Loc.
All Over
Also if you have a good junk yard around the rear wheel wells and fenders on the 64-66 Ford trucks are good donors for sheetmetal. They use the same deisgn just a little different in length.

Terry

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Thanks a lot Steve,

Did you do that so you could extend your wheelbase or were your tires hitting on the inner fender well. If so what size tires were you running?

I was running 36" tires and they were rubbing. I'm doing it because I'm extending the wheelbase ~10" and going to 40" tires. When we did this to Clint's we bought one new wheel tub and used it to extend both sides that way. I bought two new tubs to make it a bit easier so I could overlap the existing tub more. The pic of the inside may look a bit weird because I'm also narrowing the tub 8". :cool:

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check out my build thread - link in my sig - on page 4. I did the same as Steve with a fender well from a parted out rig. Turned out really well.

mag409

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
I made my own. Made from 16 gauge steel sheet. Made them taller, wider and longer then stock for added clearance. This is the only pic I could find.

Attachments

• Rear Wheelwell II.JPG
    Rear Wheelwell II.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 55

blwngsket

Loc.
Novato
I just did this. Bought a new wheel well from Bronco Graveyard. Used it to extend the wheel well. Here are a couple of pics from last weekend.

Did the same thing. Bought a new fenderwell from Wild Horses, cut it in half and welded it in... moved the rear gas fill into the pocket behind the taillight and moved the axle back 5+ inches. Of course then I had to move the gas tank back, cut out the cross member, make a new one and move that back as well.
Have fun.