• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Increasing Oil Pressure

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I would like to increase my oil pressure on my new 351W. I'm running a stock Melling oil pump that generates 50 psi oil pressure. The standard sites like Jegs, Summit, and Melling list a "high volume pump" for a 351W but not a "high pressure" pump. Will these high volume pumps work for increasing pressure also?

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
You can also look into changing the spring in the pump. I know the older prostockers did that. You can get about 80 psi by changing springs.

OP
OP
Waverous

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
[quote author=Desert Thrasher link=board=5;threadid=19695;start=0#msg151051 date=1057546938]
You can also look into changing the spring in the pump. I know the older prostockers did that. You can get about 80 psi by changing springs.
[/quote]
Excellent! Can you give me some info on what spring I need? Is there a size?

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Id try emailing melling or whoever makes ur pump. I dont know the specifics, just what Ive read in books and magazines. You can change the spring to a more heavy duty spring which will increase the oil pressure significantly. Email the manufacturer and see if they have different springs for your pump available. Good luck.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Most engine builder recommend the high volume it will increase the pressure a little high pressure pumps are not recommended they say they wash the bearings dont know what that means but other builders say the stock pump is fine small block fords never had an oiling problem in fact some say you can have problems by sending too much oil to the top end because it doesnt drain back fast enough
I'm running a melling HV pump with 120,000 on the engine start up gets me over 80psi after its warmed up runs about 60psi at speed 40 at idle w/10w30. there is a way to up the pressure on your pump there is a small freeze plug on the pump the pressure spring is behind that some people shim it with a washer don't know what size but I think I would just leave as is

Newt

I seem to recall that 10 PSI per thousand RPM is sufficient. So, if you're not goint to rev over 5000 RPM too much. You should be OK. Besides a high pressure pump takes more HP to turn the pump.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Why do you want to raise your oil pressure past 50 psi?

OP
OP
Waverous

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
More for my own anxiety level. I get nervous when engine temp gets up around 200 and oil vicosity breakdown begins to show on the gauge as psi starts dropping and I'm still "inclining" up a hill. Just would feel better if I was pushing the oil a little harder

72Sport

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Waverous link=board=5;threadid=19695;start=0#msg151039 date=1057544688]
I would like to increase my oil pressure on my new 351W. I'm running a stock Melling oil pump that generates 50 psi oil pressure. The standard sites like Jegs, Summit, and Melling list a "high volume pump" for a 351W but not a "high pressure" pump. Will these high volume pumps work for increasing pressure also?
[/quote]

Check the distributor drive gear for wear in the hex area if you don't have a new one. You might want to get an ARP or some other heavy duty drive for the pump if you increase pressure and/or volume.

I have been using straight 30w with a high volume TRW pump on a 302. It pegs a Stewart-Warner 80# gauge when cold (90f) and idles at 40 psi when hot. It runs about 70 at highway speeds and water temp of 185f.
With the bigger bearings on the crank you will probably run a little less.

G

common sence

Oil pumps achieve "high volume" by using gears or gerotors of greater height. These pumps are positive displacement. The larger size results in more volume.
Pressure is resistance to flow. A function of the relief valve spring, gallery size and oil viscosity.
Smokey Yunik's famous rule of thumb is, 10 psi/1000 RPM. Have never seen an engine lube failure that adhered to this rule.
Here is the down side to running excessive pressure.
1.) Parasitic drag and excessive wear to the pump drive.
2.) Higher oil temperatures from oil dumping across the relief valve.
3.) Oil bubbles due to aeration from the relief valve and possible cavitation.
4.) Main, pin (rod), and cam journal clearances are engineered to develop a hydrostatic bearing at a given pressure. Up setting this fluid bearing is not a good thing.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
::) ::) ::) Just remember that to much oil presser is just as bad as not enough as high presser can wash out the bearings and wast the motor also you can blow the oil filter. Just run a stock milling H/V pump if the motor is in good shape you should push between 50 & 60 lbs. my old W runs at 50 hot. And get the one for the van motor it wont punch a hole in the pan good luck. :eek: :eek: :eek: Bill 8) ::) :p

yellowbilly

Loc.
Auburn, WA
I would leave it alone. Maybe throw in some 20-50 oil to get a few more pounds of pressure, let it warm up before you beat on it with 20-50.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I run a Melling HV pump and mine runs 80 psi cold with 75 psi on the freeway and 55 psi at idle warm. All the other guys said it before but here goes again: high pressure pumps don't really help, you want a lot of oil to go through there to keep everything lubed. If you want higher pressure without changing the pump, get an oil cooler with a larger oil filter. Also use 20W-50 if you aren't already. Then watch the numbers climb

76BFH