• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inner axle seal installer

FOMOCO_1546

Contributor
Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
I'm going to replace my 76 inner axle seals. Amazon has different inexpensive installation tools but the ones I've looked at say for 66-71 and other Dana axles. Has anyone purchased one of these? Thanks

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I am cheap and low tech I guess. I found a socket that fit (it was pretty big) then passed a pipe through the axle tube to seal. While I aligned the pipe with the socket my buddy whacked the end of the pipe. Two person job but cheap enough.

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I am cheap and low tech I guess. I found a socket that fit (it was pretty big) then passed a pipe through the axle seal. While I aligned the pipe with the socket my buddy whacked the end of the pipe. Two person job but cheap enough.
Same here, socket and a piece pipe.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I cheaped out also. I used a long piece of 5/8" all-thread I had and various sizes of washers to "pull the seal in" from the outside end of the axle tubes.
It worked.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach

FOMOCO_1546,​

For what it's worth I had made a tool very similar to what steelworker posted, and it worked but it can be a bit aggravating to get it to seat easily straight in. Now I use a method similar to the other guys, and am able to do it by myself too. All I do is find a half inch socket the fits in the seal nice, then poke thru the axle tube a long extension (or several connected together), carefully connect extension to socket so it doesn't come out of the seal, go to end of axle and drive seal in. Much easier and seats right in nice and square.

Tyler

hunter1

Contributor
Loc.
Maryville, Tn
I actually bought the one with the 2 thrust bearings and used them on a couple D-60's prior to my 44 to pay for it. Worked great. Even if its Chinese, worked great. Will never wear it out installing seals. A lot quicker than a piece of pipe and a socket.