• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Install engine with bell housing on engine or transmission?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I’ll be dropping in my new 408 soon. It’s a lot easier to get to the bell housing bolts with the engine on the hoist than when the engine is in place, and the transmission bolts are easy to reach in any case. I’ve done lots of work on my Bronco in the 25 years I’ve owned it but this is only my second engine r&r, the last being 20+ years ago. I’m not getting any younger and so some of this stuff requires more careful planning than in years past.

What says the brain trust?

69_Sport

I'd put the bell housing on the engine.

Normally on an engine/tranny install, I would recommend installing them together. But in a Bronco, the transfer case complicates things. Best to install the tranny/transfer case as a unit, after the engine is in.

Find a couple of longer bolts the same thread as the tranny to bell housing bolts, cut the heads off and slot the end for a screwdriver. Put the engine and bellhousing in and install the long bolts in the bottom two holes to use as guides to install the tranny. It'll help to get everything lined up. Slide the tranny in over the guide studs, install the top two tranny bolts, remove the guide studs using the screwdriver slots, and replace them with the correct bolts. Presto! She's in.

Doug

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
what trans?

we guide pins a guide bit to line things up and slip together

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I knew there was a reason I asked here. Not only did I get confirmation that what I want to do but the guide pin idea is so obvious and simple, and it hadn’t occurred to me. Thanks guys!

Nick, transmission is the NV4500 that I’ve been running for the last 16 years (kinda wishing I had an auto now but that’s not happening any time soon) and one of the few original drivetrain pieces still in my Bronco, namely the bell housing.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
L, i always found it easier to slip trans into the engine and bell vs the other way. get your clutch nice and dialed in and slip trans in on the guide pins. you are going in horiz vs a weird/ off angle this way.
then slip tc on...
i'm getting old so it's work smarter and easier on the ol' bod..