• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Install swing away spare tire carrier (backning plates)

snoddas

Hi guys,
Its removing the rear/tail light assembly the trick for installing the backing plates for the swing away corner hinges.

/Anders

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
It's been to long ago to remember but that seems to make sense to make a little more room

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

From inside its only the small service/inspektion opening. I could if I’m lucky get my hand in there but thats it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I remember the tail light being the easy way to get in there when I was welding the holes shut.

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

Thanks for input.
The higher hinge fit like a glove. The lower dont. Can be because I have aftermarket corner (rear tail light housing) sheetmetal piece.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I added tire carrier on my previous bronco. Removing the tail light definitely makes it easier but I recall still needing to get my hand in through the fender to get it positioned. As mentioned, top was easier than bottom for me as well.