• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installed new wild horse suspension....rear is taller?

ksbronco75

Contributor
I recently installed the wild horses stock suspension system http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/15880 . I had to redo the front twice because i installed a lean, and ended up being a bushing upside down. so with that problem fixed, i let her off the jack stands. all said and done, the ass end sits up higher than the front. do i need to do something with my rear shackel? i taller one to lower the rear end? its pretty noticeable. it had a 2.5 lift block lift. Its removed, so shouldnt this all sit the same height? Did i miss something?

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Mine was a little taller in the back than the front when I first installed the new WH suspension. I ask around on this website...folks suggested that I add some weight to the rear and wait a bit because it'll probably level out over time.

Sure enough, I put 400lbs of sand bags in the rear and drove around some, After about a month I removed the weight, now it sits levels.

kindly post some pictures of the stance so we can see how far off it is.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Mine sat a little higher in the rear also. Give it time, it will settle.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Took a couple months for mine. Dropped about 3/4 of an inch in that time.
It has been quite a few years now.....it may have dropped another 1/2 inch or so but it looks perfect now.
Be patient Bud.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure your shackles swing like they should and aren't being pinched, then go beat 'em up and flex them out on the trail. You can break in a set of springs in a weekend on the trail if you don't want to wait the few months it can take street driving.

BigB

I had the same problem. I removed a couple of leaves from the spring pack.

WRG

ksbronco75...... Aside from the way the new suspension looked. How did it ride??... Been thinking of replacing my original (76) stock setup myself.

TeamG

I am running the 5.5 WH lift. Initially, the Bronc looked like a stink bug; however after flexing it numerous times & working the new springs, it has settled to a nice level look. The ride of those 11 pack springs is great to btw.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure the rear shackles and springs are not bound up, or stuck in place. I usually loosen the spring and shackle bolts just a hair. Bounce up and down on rear bumper will help springs settle correctly. Then tighten to spec. Springs will settle more with use.

You already got the front lean taken care of. That's usually the hardest part.

You'll love the WH lift kit once completed. Great choice.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
what lift springs did you put in? they will settle
do you have the hard top on and a spare? those help

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
id love to tell ya how it drove but i had 33x9.5 tires on 16"wheels. with the new suspension, the tires hit when i turn in the front. so now im waiting on tires in order to enjoy my now 2 new investments :). anyone recommend a tire size?

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
what lift springs did you put in? they will settle
do you have the hard top on and a spare? those help

top is in paint. tire hasnt been ordered yet. nice thinking. i was looking for weight.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they all said ksbronco. Especially the loosening of the spring and shackle bolts if you tightened them originally before any weight was on the suspension.
Then wait until the full weight is on the rig to make any determinations. Usually our springs do sit high in the rear at first, but you said stock height, right? If so, those don't usually sit as much higher than intended as the lift springs do. So should also not take as long to settle in.

Hopefully it all works out for you. Let us know if you have any questions.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and good job on finding the wonky C-bushing too! Those can be some pesky suckers in trying to find front end issues. Especially when you're "absolutely sure" that you put them in their correct orientation the first time.:cool: Very common...

Also, what was rubbing with the 33's? Generally speaking you can fit 33's with a stock height suspension as long as everything else is correct. Including trimming the inner fender skirts up front. That trailing edge sticks way out and is usually what rubs.
Don't even consider resale value with trimming that piece, if that's what you're thinking. Nobody (ok, very few) will ever know it's gone.
Or were they rubbing in the rear?

Generally, 31" tires are what most people with stock height EB's run, but there are variations on that theme as well. With your 16's still in the picture, the metric equivalent sizes are a few I think. Wait until some others chime in with their results on stock height trucks though.

Paul

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
yep that edge is what rubs on the front tires. the back is good to go. plenty of clearance. but with the 33s i have 3/4" from that edge to my tire tread when the wheels are straight. when they turn they barely scrape that edge. if i hit a good RR crossing, i feel my wheel would eat my fender. im gonna with 31 or thats 275r??? i dunno my brother is the tire guy i guess. good to know. yea the xtra weight should be added soon. im glad i know to loosen the stuff prior to reinstall. thanks guys

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Mine sat high in the rear as well. I've been driving it for a month or so and she is either settling down or I'm just getting use to looking at it!

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the rear fenders are Uncut with a Stock lift suspension, a 30x9.50 is about the largest tire that will fit and not rub at all.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A lot of the rubbing equation on that trailing edge of the front fender skirt has to do with the width and offset of the wheel too.
Naturally the height of the tire is key, but if the wheel is wider and has less backspacing, then the turning arc (or "scrub radius" I believe) causes the tire to move forward and backward instead of just pivoting on it's center.
This will really mess with front tire clearance.

We have 33x12.50's on our shop '76 with stock height suspension, but it's most definitely cut.

Paul

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
i cant get a horizontal pic of the slant because its in a stall with another car and i can't move it bc tires on it will rub on the turn. but here are some pics with a set of 31X10.50 on 16" wheels i pulled off another truck. they have 1 1/4" on the driver side clearance on turn and a 1 1/2" on the passenger side at closet point to the front of the fender. i feel this should be fine for clearance?? not going to be pushing any hard trails, this is more of a driving bronco. any thoughts on clearance being a future issue?

Attachments

• 20151103_185842.jpg
    20151103_185842.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20151103_190153.jpg
    20151103_190153.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20151103_191313.jpg
    20151103_191313.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 35