• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installed new wild horse suspension....rear is taller?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You gotta cut that piece of metal that Paul is talking about.
I bent mine over with a hammer back in '84 to fit some 31's on a stock suspension.
I should have cut it and made it look more pretty, so should you.
It is like a blade that will ruin your tire, don't take the chance, cut it out of there.

Regarding the front and rear edge of the fenders, you can often trim them in a fashion that makes it very difficult to tell anything has been done.

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
now you got me nervous. when i bought this thing, the passenger side was cut off (terribly). i found another peice off a fender, patched it, and now its a tire clearance issue. got any pics of the cut? this thing was painted about 1 1/2 months ago, so cutting into it was not the top choice obviously. exacly how much clearance to i need front the front of the tire, edge of that front fender? i want to cut a little as possible, so i guess before i cut anything i need a pic. not a fan of cutting any more off this thing.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My cuts are too big to help you but do not worry someone will chime in with photos. Lots of guys building a rig like you are here at CB.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
(edit: see retraction below in next post)
First, you can't make any determinations without the set of tires and wheels you're going to be running. Unless these are exactly the same, you're just working against yourself.

Second, if one side has more clearance than the other, is the truck at full weight? You have a stock height suspension, so why is the axle offset? That would be either because the body is skewed on the frame (unlikely, but possible) or the front suspension is raised up some, which shifts the axle to the driver's side.
Until the axle is centered in the frame, and the body is verified to be straight, you are also just fighting yourself for no reason.

Don't sweat the details until the major players are in the room.

Generally, a 31" tire on a moderately sized wheel with the proper offset will not hit the fenders even while steering. But even though you say you won't be doing any (or much) off-roading, you'd be surprised at how much suspension flex going up a driveway at an angle with the wheels turned will induce!

Where did you add sheet metal back? I understand not wanting to cut after paint, but touching up an edge after a clean cut is a whole lot less conspicuous than touching up a bent fender after a tire hit it.
Like I said though, you might not ever hit it with 31's. But how everything works together as a package is the only way you'll know what's going to work or not.
So:
1. You need the wheels and tires
2. You need the Bronco at full weight
3. If full weight now, you need to find out why the axle is more to one side than the other
4. If things are looking close after all that, trim before you hit.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry. Re-read your post slower this time and realized you said "1 1/4" and 1 1/2" and I thought you said one side was just 1/4" instead.
So your axle really is not off-center like I was on about.
Sorry 'bout that.

Got any pics of the inner fender skirt lip on the trailing edge of the front fenders.

Paul

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
all the weight is not on. tires are on order 31x10.50. 16"wheels. its slanted with the rear end up a little. so like you said ill put the top on in the next week or two, pending paint, and hopefully tires will be in by then. here are some pics of the current scenario. mind you. these are 33x9.5 on stock suspension front fenders. aslo.. i threw a little horse on tonight. dont frown on me too much

Attachments

• 20151104_205952.jpg
    20151104_205952.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 21
  • 20151104_205933.jpg
    20151104_205933.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20151104_205925.jpg
    20151104_205925.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20151104_205913.jpg
    20151104_205913.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20151104_205832.jpg
    20151104_205832.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 16

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now the tires fit even more cleanly, since that video was taken. They were put on 15x8" wheels with less negative offset, letting them pivot more along the centerline, rather than rotating around it.

Paul