• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing CJ Mirrors on an Early Bronco (Roadster)

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I got to thinking last night, that the last set of jeep mirrors I saw mounted this way, you couldn't see out of the passenger side mirror very well? I beleive I have seen the passenger side mounted to the front of the windshield frame so the driver could look through the front window and get a better view out of the mirror instead.

Ben

I thought about your senario above, but you can see just fine looking through the passanger door window.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Very nice! I may have to copy this idea. Do you have a picture that shows both mirrors, as taken from in front of the rig? I smoothed my doors and do not want to mount mirrors back to them - and will likely run doorless for 6 months out of every year anyway...

Great write-up!

I will post one tonight.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I thought about your senario above, but you can see just fine looking through the passanger door window.

I did a set of these on a hard door Bronco I had. The drivers side is fine but on the passenger side you had to have it either bent forward to look through the windshield like the jeeps do, or, you bent the mirror back every time you opened the door.

I would be surprised if that is not a problem with the soft doors also?

Ultimately I took the passenger mirror off as I hated both choices of hitting it with the door every time you use the passenger door or having it bent forward like a jeep to avoid that problem.
Dennis

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I did a set of these on a hard door Bronco I had. The drivers side is fine but on the passenger side you had to have it either bent forward to look through the windshield like the jeeps do, or, you bent the mirror back every time you opened the door.

I would be surprised if that is not a problem with the soft doors also?

Ultimately I took the passenger mirror off as I hated both choices of hitting it with the door every time you use the passenger door or having it bent forward like a jeep to avoid that problem.
Dennis

I can see the passanger mirror just fine through the Best Top soft doors. I can see where the stock doors may pose a problem with the Vent Window brace getting in the way. The soft top does not have a vent window obviously. The arm sticks straight out from the truck at a 90 degree angle and the entire mirror is clearly visable and I can see the aft corner of the bronco and everthing beside and behind that. I'll post a picture of the view from the drivers seat tonight.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Here is a picture of the view of the passanger mirror from the drivers seat.

Attachments

• DSC00465.jpg
    DSC00465.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 292
OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Here is a photo of the passanger door open as far as it will go before it touches the passanger mirror. It is almost 90 degrees.

Attachments

• DSC00473.jpg
    DSC00473.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 235

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the pictures, it looks like those work perfectly for your soft doors. I wish my hard doors would have worked as well, both in visual symmetry as well as in passenger door function.
Dennis

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Several people commented on mounting the mirrors on the front of the windshield frame.

If I had done this:
1) The visability out of the passanger side would be much worse.
2) You could not lay the windshield down (not that I would, but you never know).
3) You couldn't lay the hood up against the windshield for pulling an engine or doing major work i the engine bay.

If you fold the mirrors either back or forward, the body sticks out further than the brackets on the side of the windshield.

I also don't like the looks of the brackets mounted on the front of the frame.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
cgbexec great job! And you answered the issues with the passenger side mirror too! Kudo's! Guess I need to keep looking for something else for my hard doors.

Ben

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Now that I have the Bronco back on the road with 250 miles on it, I have some feed back for the CJ mirror install.

1) The mirrors look really good on the truck.
2) At rest you can relatively well from the drivers side mirror with very little shake. The passanger side mirror is further away, so a little vibration does cause some distortion, but it is not bad.
3) At city speeds, 30 to 45 MPH the mirrors vibrate pretty good. You can still see out of them, but you have to get used to the vibration.
4) The passanger mirror only gives you a small viewing area, so mirror position is everything. Make sure you really tighten it down when you get it where you want it.

I think they are the best alternative to running with soft doors or without doors. If you want to remove them, it is only two bolts and then just put the bolts back in the holes. Very clean either installed or not.

nj_thusar

Contributor
Loc.
Asbury Park, NJ
Very Nice... I didn't remember I have a pair of these in my attic from my brothers CJ, thank god for squatters rights. I'll tap the holes this weekend.

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Thanks for an excellent write-up. I have been looking into changing the mirrors out as I wanted to have flexibility in the doors I run. Can you please point me in a good direction for purchasing these mirrors? I see some on eBay, JC Whitney, a place called Midway auto supply, and the prices seem to range anywhere from $25- $45 per mirror. I know aftermarket quality can very, and I don’t mind spending more if it makes sense, but don’t want to throw money away either. Also, has anyone explored using a mirror from any other cars/trucks? I will probably go the CJ route but want to know what all the options are. Thanks!

broncbuster

great write up! we did something similar on my son's 73. We mounted them on the front of the windshield frame. I think I like your system better.

broncbuster

Can you please point me in a good direction for purchasing these mirrors?

My son got his at a place called Tellico 4x4 or jeep or something like that. He bought painted or powder coated and I think they were a little less than that. If you can get stainless for $45 I think I'd do that.

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I think I paid about $45 or $50 for the pair. The quality is good. So far they are the best for running soft doors or no doors. The vibration is the only issue, but I have gotten used to it. I just want to make sure I don't cut someone off, so I scan the mirror to make sure it is clear.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Get that cage in and put supports from the cage to the windshield frame, should eliminate the vibration issue.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Great write up. You might want to add a note to be careful not to drill into the wires that run up the drivers side of the windshield for the wipers.