• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing grille ss trim, How's it done?

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Alright, My pea brain is confused. I need to install my new grille trim.

I see that the way to mount the plastic clips to the grille is to place the pin in the holes in the grille, and push the plastic center pin (from front to the rear). This secures the clip to the grill. Easy enough.

Now I see, on the back side of the SS trim, there are notches in the trim so you can insert plastic clip into the trim and slide the clip into position of the grille holes.

O.K. so ya slide the clip over to the hole lining up the pin, buts ya can't push the center pin into the hole cause the trim is covering the pin! What am I missig? the chicken or the egg????

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do just as you said, slide the clip to line up the pin and hole, put pin in, put the keeper nut on. Thats how the ones I have installed have worked.

OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is correct for the side clips (with retaining nuts)
But the plastic clips for the top and bottom center bars have no retaining nuts. (at least on the oem parts) just the center pin you push so the clip expands like an anchor. Those are the ones I'm confused about

vap13

Just did mine this weekend, the plastic ones with the pin you put on the grille first and then when you have all the others started with the nuts the trim snaps over the plastic ones. The pins are just to secure them to the grille before you install trim.
Paul

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will have to look when I get home, I was thinking mine had the type slides into place and the nut was put on the back, However its been a long time since I installed the grill trim, I will check it out 2night. Now that I think about it I probably modified some bolts to fit the trim because when I restored mine the trim or fastners were not avalible.

vap13

I purchased the complete set and I think 8 were the plastic with pins and the rest slide in the trim like you said and are fastened with nuts. I think the center top and bottom are the stud and nut, then four top and bottom from center out are plastic with pin and all the rest are stud and nut. I can check tonight.
Paul

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I checked and the ones on my 74 Ranger are all stud/nut, however these are the ones that came on it from the factory, I don't know what are being sold in the kits from the vendors.

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I did mine a few weeks ago.

Easiest thing I found was to put in the plastic clips and then push in the plastic centers on em all.

put the stud/threaded ones into the left side curved piece and then line them up with the holes in the grille. Put a small piece of scotch tape to hold them temporarily in place. Repeat for the other 3 pieces of trim.

Assemble the left side and the top and bottom pieces of trim. Line up the bolts and holes and put the nuts on loosely... just enough to hold the thing together in the right holes but so you have a little play.

insert the right curved piece in the upper and lower pieces of trim. Insert them far enough so that the bolts and holes line up and then tighten the nuts on the right piece to the grille.

Start from the center top and center bottom and tighten the nuts all the way down.

Then do the next bolt on the top row on the left and then the matching one on the right. Then do the corresponding ones on the lowwer section. Work your way out to both sides.

When all are tightened you can press firmly on top of where the trim goes over the plastic clips and the trim will SNAP into place. It doesn't take much... but they hold very well.

Good luck!