• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

instrument cluster ground question

first timer

I believe my cluster isn't grounding at all times because my gauges will either work or not. I know it grounds through the screws and the ivr grounds to the cluster. I have a bc broncos dash with the grounding studs.

Question is where could I run grounds from the cluster to dash? Would it need to be at all 4 mounting screws and ivr? or could I get away with one screw and ivr?

thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If the cluster isn't grounded the temp, oil and fuel gauges will read maximum. If your gauges read minimum look at the IVR or power to it.

OP
OP
F

first timer

well crap. I've checked power in and out of the regulator.12 ish in pulsing between 5-7 out if I remember correctly. works intermittently and they read 0 when not. new senders for temp and oil. had the engine rebuilt so they dipped it. should I check the threads at the sender. didn't use tape at senders either.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Could be grounding problem at the senders but doubtful they would all fail at the same time. Power into IVR or IVR itself is issue.

OP
OP
F

first timer

thanks viperwolf. it is a new regulator and I know people have had issues with some of the new ones. I'll check it out. do I need to do something with the little screw on the back?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
thanks viperwolf. it is a new regulator and I know people have had issues with some of the new ones. I'll check it out. do I need to do something with the little screw on the back?

You shouldn't need to mess with the screw. It's there for calibration.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where are the grounding studs on the new dash?
Theoretically, you should be able to get away just fine with using one screw of the cluster. Might not hurt to use one of the mounting screws, but also add one of the screws holding a gauge to the housing.
But the main thing here is to make sure that the dash itself is grounded fully to the body/chassis. Presumably the studs are supplied for his reason, so just make sure you have a good ground running from the stud to the body so that the grounds from the instruments have a path to true ground.
Good idea to run one from the windshield frame while you're at it. Just because you can.

And obviously, if you're using the body as the ground source for the dash, you have to make sure you have a very good ground wire from the battery to the body, and engine to body.

Paul