• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

instument Voltage Regulator Question

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
I checked the cluster last night and it has a good ground. I'll check the body of the regulator tonight to see if it is properly grounded.

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
Good grounds on everything. I tried playing with the adjustment screw on the new Ivr and still the same result, the gauges all max out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which is an extremely common occurence. If I get another bad one, I'm going to actually mark it as such, in case it finds it's way back into a box so it hopefully doesn't end up on someone else's vehicle.

Paul

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I've not researched it any, but I've run across reference to a solid state IVR on a Mopar forum. Might be worth looking into.

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
I went to oriley's and ordered a replacement. I called BWD's tech line and talked to one of their tech guys. He thinks it is a bad one too and told me to try one more. The new one will come in today and I plan to install it in the parking lot ghetto style to see if it works. The tech from BWD said to call him if the replacement did not work. I know oriley's typically has a no return policy on electronics, but if this second one does not work, I will call the district manager if I have to for a refund. I will post the results this afternoon.

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
It was the ivr. I plugged in the replacement and they need some adjustments but they are about where they should be.

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
My 3rd one from oriley's went bad this weekend. The manager knows me because he likes my bronco and agreed to refund my money. Now, which one do you guys recommend?

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
Paul,

I ordered part number 6051 and installed it this weekend. I know the web site advertises it does not need to be adjusted, but can it? All of my gauges are reading low. The last time the one from oriley's was working my gauges were reading the following: gas 3/4 tank, oil 40 psi, and temp would max out around 210. now with the new one, gas 1/2 tank, no oil pressure, and max temp 170 ish.

What gives?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As far as I know there is no way to adjust it, in any normal fashion. Now, if you're an electronics engineer/guru/swami, then that might be a different story. But I'm going to say no adjustment.

Never seen a defective one of those, but maybe call in and get a replacement sent out. Or dig in a little deeper and find out if it's something else.
What is the voltage output from the unit? What happens to the gauges when you ground out the sending wires at the sending units?

Paul

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
I checked the ivr with two voltage meters they they both read 5 volts on the output side and had 5 volts at the gauges. The gauges are working properly, when they are grounded they peg out. Like I said in the previous post the last time the old ivr was working all the gauges are reading low from this new ivr. Should i try another one?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. That 5v does not sound right to me, but maybe others can confirm? I'm thinking it should be 6 or 7, but I don't have a specification.

And just to be sure, what voltage is going IN to the unit? A full 12v or more (up to maybe 12.6 on a static battery let's say) or some variation on that theme? Guessing so, but wanted to verify.

I will try to test one here, along with a standard one if I can, but will also send another one out just in case.
PM or e-mail or call me with your specifics (I should know by now, but I'm old and forgetful:cool:) when you have a moment.

Thanks.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, just checked four of the units here and they all read between 5.52 and 5.57 volts. is that what yours is showing? If so, then there's not much chance of a new one giving you any better readings.

I can take that one back no problem, but if you want too, I noticed that (unlike our web picture) there "might be" an adjusting pot there on the back. Looks like it might take some strange new alien type of tool to turn it, but I'm going to give one a try here before recommending you do it.

In the meantime we have a couple of choices. We can get that one back from you and keep trying some until we find a higher reading unit. We can get that one back from you and you can then buy a Dakota digital cluster!!!! Or you can attempt to adjust the one you have.

Normally that would not be an option since the manuf. won't take something back that's been tweaked and twiddled with, but I'll go out on a limb and say just go for it and see what you get. I'll take it back no matter what and see if we can get Drake to give us credit.

Now that's all assuming that the 5 to 5.5 volts is in fact incorrect. Hoping to hear from someone here about that aspect though.
It was suggested by one of the electrical types here that if the gauges were pegged long enough, that their "zero" or calibration could have changed slightly. Whether that's true in your case or not is unknown and you'd have to check with a known ohm reading or send them in to one of us that has a calibrated tester (oleguy made a few a couple of years ago) and that might be the only way to know. Not sure on that score either.

let me know what you find with further testing, or if you know it was exactly 5 volts I can send you one of our 5.5 volt thingies and see what that does to your readings.

Paul

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
I was able to adjust the small inset last night. I turned the screw half a turn clockwise and the voltage is now 5.99 volts. The gauges seem close enough for now. I cannot express how much i appreciate the help Paul.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You're welcome very muchly. Excellent news for sure!

So when the other one arrives, just turn it around and send it right back. I sent it before talking to you, as you know from our conversation, because I just didn't want to delay getting it out and knowing I would not be in today to follow up on it.

Well, it looks like I'm going back in today anyway, since I just happened to forget to load up a buddy's fender parts to bring home!!!! Ugh.

Paul