• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Interference

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Installed a set of rear disc's to my rig, which required moving the lower shock mounts inboard about a half an inch. I've got a set of Tom's 2 1/2 inch rear leafs and they have these brackets about half way forward and back on the leaf. I've got a "slight" interference where the shock boot is rubbing against one of these brackets. I know after a while it will cut the boot. What is the purpose of the bracket, and can i shorten it and redrill it, or just cut it even with the top of the spring pack?

Attachments

• interference.jpg
    interference.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 71
  • leaf.jpg
    leaf.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 62

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Not sure why they are so long. Must be one size fits all with their 11 leaf springs, as well.

I think you could either shorten them with enough length to re-drill the holes. Or cut them off with about 1 inch left and fold the tabs around the leafs like they did from the factory.

My 2 cents.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
What will happen when you get a tire on with the weight of the vehicle??? Getting the suspension loaded will change the interference. You may be a little bit away from that point in your build... Even so it may flex into it off road. If that is the case then I would make an adjustment to the clamp as mentioned.

OP
OP
Allen_69

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Called Tom's. As we guessed they are for alignment. Shortening them isn't an issue, and the tech stated that removing one wouldn't cause an issue. I'll probably shorten the inboard pair as the autist in me wants them to be symmetrical.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree it won't hurt much, but they are that long to allow these types of spring packs to flex up and the leaves to fan out before binding up under the clamps. The older shorter ones often broke under stress, or were found to slightly limit flex.
They may indeed still be one-size-fits-many, but that would not have been the only criteria.

The clamps themselves are indeed for alignment, to keep the individual leaves from "fanning" sideways over time and staying that way until you get under and hammer them back in.

Since most Bronco owners are not going to flex out their suspensions to their fullest (at least not often) shortening them may never even be noticed.
And while the shock body stays steady in relation to the spring as far as height is concerned, if it's that close then you definitely run the possibility of it rubbing at least sometimes.
Not a performance problem, but nobody likes a raggedy shock boot!

Paul