• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Internal vs external efi fuel pump

buckenbronco

Loc.
Hanson
So I am buying a new tank and I’m wondering what most people are running for a efi fuel pump. I know the basics about internal vs external pumps. But I’m still undecided. Thanks for the help

Builtnotbought0

Loc.
Belen NM
Someone on here suggested this one and I bought it on amazon---Precise 402-P2000 Electric Fuel Pump For Select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury Vehicles-----Im running the Fitech ....I haven't actually started it yet, but its all plummed in and ready to start..

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Internal: quiet, last very long time, neat, protected, expensive.

External: easy to service, loud, not well protected, cheaper.

Pick your poison both do the job if plumbed correctly. I had a perfectly good OEM tank so I used an external but if I was buying a tank I would go internal.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm running external with stock tank. No issues. I can hear it only when I turn the key on and it primes.

I like the easy to service aspect. I HATE dropping tanks for any reason.

Tim

Broncomt

I'm running external with stock tank. No issues. I can hear it only when I turn the key on and it primes.

I like the easy to service aspect. I HATE dropping tanks for any reason.

Tim

What pump are you using Tim?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Depends on your set up really.....

added chevy throttle body fuel injection to mine a few years ago, need the external pump.... Well after a couple trips, stumbling etc, wound up adding a pump right out of the gas tank, the one on driver's rail underneath wound up being a push pump....

I don't have the experience w/the other EFIs but the smarter ones will chime in :)

bronconut73

Bronco Guru

Pick your poison both do the job if plumbed correctly. I had a perfectly good OEM tank so I used an external but if I was buying a tank I would go internal.

/\This/\

Capt.junk&crap

Loc.
Bristol
There is a reason why modern cars have the fuel pump inside the tank. My VW has over 400k and still the same pump. My Bronco had less than 10k and I went through at least three quality external pumps. If you are buying a new tank, go internal and buy a good pump. I bought an Aeromotive Stealth 340 to feed my Fitech.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I disagree on the Precise 402-P2000 being loud - you can hear it prime with the engine off and then you will never hear it again. Protection isn't much of a factor, you are more likely to hit the gas tank vs a frame/floor mounted pump.

The "popular" pumps just seem to be junk - this Precise pump has operated flawlessly under years of abuse that few here will put their pumps through like I have. I've gravity fed this pump from the stock tank and multiple fuel cells - as long as it is within a foot or so of the pickup you are golden. Obviously I wouldn't expect it to pull fuel from the top style cell pickups.

ransil

Bronco Guru

I was an external pump guy, then I quieted down my exhaust and could not stand the external fuel pump wine , so I went intank

Montoya

I've run twin Walboro external pumps for 9 years now with a stock tank and no failures (knock on wood). I have my EFI system (AEM) setup so every time I start the engine a different pump gets used. I figure if one ever fails I have a backup already plumbed and working.

I've also run the tank dry before which can't be good for the pumps but so far so good.

Also, I recommend if you do go external, use a filter before the pump and one after. Before will keep your pump alive longer, after will save your fuel system when a pump ultimately does go out. Make sure the filters are sized correctly because I know many aftermarket filters are for carbureted setups and can choke the flow too much for EFI.

As for noise, my exhaust is so loud I can't hear my radio, let alone a fuel pump but if you were using good mufflers I imagine the wine would get very annoying on a long trip like ransil said.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Been running a TBI pressure Walbro on a return system feeding a carb for several years. I've heard internal pumps that were louder this pump. I reject people continuing to say that ALL external pumps are loud because not all are!

Be careful with any filter before the pump. If the tank's pick-up assembly has a 'sock' on it , call that good enough. Do not want to create any more restriction in the suction side than absolutely necessary. Restriction there leads to cavitation of the pump. This usually occurs when the fuel is hot on a hot day and is basically vapor lock.

I do not think that the OEM's went internal because of noise. I think that they did it because it is an easier to prime system that is far less likely to have vapor lock issues. This is solely because the length of the line under suction is short to non-existent.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think everyone that has a quiet external pump should show how theirs are mounted.
Agree that not all are loud, but not all are quiet either (including some in-tank setups of course) but to rule out different mounting methods, it would be nice to compare how and where the quiet ones are mounted.

Which might help us rule out the pump-vs-mounting.

Paul

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Great idea Paul! I have seen some hose clamped around the frame!! They use the frame as a resonator!

No pics for me but I used the OEM Ford truck mounting from the late 80s. It is a metal shell that is larger than the fuel pump with three tabs that have rubber isolators. The fuel pump is then wrapped in a piece of foam (OEM) that slides into the mounting bracket. I still consider mine loud at idle but once I am driving all the other noises drown it out.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Here you go. I used rubber washers so no metal to metal contact.

Tim

Attachments

• 20160929_180136.jpg
    20160929_180136.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 64

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've had it double hose clamped to the frame and my current setup is a piece of strapping to the floor with the rubber isolator the pump came with.

20170526_131653_zpsq1wql3tu.jpg

I should shoot a video of how quiet it is and compare it to common noises everyone has an idea on decibel levels.

Pre and post filters - nothing fancy, setup for ease of install and maintenance (which it requires zero).

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
I use a Bosch 69100 pump mounted in the same location as Timmy. It's quiet, I only hear it if the gas tank get low enough to where the pump pulls some air. Really this only happens occasionally when I go 4 wheeling on a long trip and get below 1/4 tank. All other times, the pump cannot be heard.

I messed up fabing my mounting bracket and didn't have room for the rubber sleeve. Doesn't seem to be an issue, sound or otherwise. I'm happy with my external fuel pump and wouldn't change a thing.