• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is It Safe??

Comemonday71

Contributor
Hi Gang!

Ok, let me start by saying I love my wife hands down, no issue there. We dated for seven years before we married and my Bronco has been a part of our lives since day one. She is a really cool person. Case in point back in 2006 when we did our home remodel we ran out of $$ and I told her "hey let's sell the Bronco (which had been sitting in the garage not driven for 12 years), I can get at least $5,000.00 for it that way we could afford a fireplace mantel. She would have nothing of it and forbid me to sell her. God bless her!! 14 years later we still do not have a mantle but we still have my Bronco which I bought back in 1985 as a junior in high school for a whopping $2,700.00 (California Bronco....no rust!). Anyway, after all this time I got her back on the road installing new tires, BCB front disk brake kit, Wild Horses hydroboost system, Tom's power steering set up, all new brake lines, re-built rear drums, etc. as well as custom roll cage, all in the name of safety. Sorry for going on but the issue I am have with her is that she refuses to go in the freeway in the bronco. As you can see there is no hard top, soft top or bikini top. Her problem is not rolling over or rear ending someone but debris flying into the Bronco causing bodily injury to driver or front or rear passenger. We have three Hondas. My argument is that any bodily injury caused by flying debris could happen while driving any of the Hondas as driving the Bronco (while gong 70 on the freeway). Have any of you guys run into this safety issue with your friends or loved ones? In the meantime looks like I will be driving solo on the freeway!!

Attachments

• Roll Bar.jpg
    Roll Bar.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 270
OP
OP
Comemonday71

Comemonday71

Contributor
Sorry, should have mentioned that in the winter months I run a Best Top soft top and that the new roll bar (you might be able to tell) has 1/4 inch aluminum panels between the bars s that provide shade and some protection form rain and debris!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Is it a two lane highway or a four lane divided highway? If it's the latter, I guess anything is possible but flying debris striking a vehicle is like one in a zillion. I'd be more worried about driving 70mph lol. Roll cage or not, the odds of surviving a roll over at 70 mph in a modern vehicle with side curtain air bags and 3pt seat belts is still not great. I've worked many of those accidents.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So...do you think maybe she's really just stewing over the fireplace mantle still? I mean it's been 14 years.

Deano

Bronco Guru
Go playing in the woods and mud holes and you have stuff flying at you but at highway speeds you might get a small gravel stuck in the tread fly out but never had anything else at highway speeds

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's safe...she doesn't want to mess up her hair!;);D

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How many reported "incidents" are recorded with the Competition have there been with them rolling down the highways with their doors and tops missing?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
No different than riding in a convertible which people do all the time. If she has a fear of riding in open vehicles then you are probably not going to win that argument. Logic and facts don’t always help. Get her a motorcycle helmet.

My ex had a fear of plugging in the vacuum cleaner. She thought it might already be switched on and she would be electrocuted and die and nobody would feed her cat....

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Concern of debris is an interesting topic. Never heard of that.

I'm always thinking "how many revolutions, if someone puts me sideways at freeway speeds." But driving it at all other times, has a calming/stimulating effect on me ;D

Congrats on getting to keep it, and just like getting to know motorcycles, start slow, enjoy it, and move forward.

elan

Loc.
s
Look at the bigger picture, the woman is doing you a favor, bask in each moment of alone time in the vehicle. How could you not?

70 in a 1st gen Bronco = Death Wish (without Mr. Bronson)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
My wife had issues on long drives, I added a COM system so I could add music without adding noise. Her being able to talk and hear made all the difference. When its really cold we've used full face helmets with COMs that we used when I rode bikes so that's an option too. If I get tired of listening to her i just turn the VOX up and I can't hear her any more;D

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"My ex had a fear of plugging in the vacuum cleaner. She thought it might already be switched on and she would be electrocuted and die and nobody would feed her cat...."

WOW!:eek: She might of had some issues!;D

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
You need input from the ladies on here not the guys. We will feel your pain and share equal stories, if someone had a fix they would be the richest person in the world!!

Since I have no clue what kind of a driver you are I'll just say I have a buddy that scares the hell out of me even in town.

At this point you can avoid the freeway with her or drive the freeway with out her.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
If it were an issue, insurance costs for convertibles would have priced any open tops out of the market by now - Jeeps, convertible cars, sunroofs etc.

Timstrk

Only thing I've ever had fly into the truck was a turkey at about 45mph (me, not the turkey). Imploded the windshield and peppered me with glass shards for the last 25 miles home. Still love the top off option. The temp changes around you and the smells. Can't get that in any closed up vehicle.

1970 Palmer

I would not worry about the open air ride. You have a decent sized windshield. It's certainly safer than riding any motorcycle and getting hit by flying objects.

The safety concern for me would be riding in the Bronco, getting into some kind of an accident, and hitting your head, arms, legs on the unpadded cage. Hitting you head, "even with legal cage padding" would result in a concussion or worse. I've drag raced for enough years to appreciate the NHRA safety rules for cages, seat mounting, safety belts (required to be replaced every two years), window nets, etc. Just look at what's required in a SCORE truck for safety. Roll cages should be used "with helmets".

Yet the original seat belts in my 1970 Bronco today. are FIFTY YEARS old! LOL

The only thing I see good about having a cage in a street driven Bronco is having a place to secure the shoulder belts.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Would your wife ride in a brand new Mustang convertible on the freeway with the top down? If so, what's the difference between that and the Bronco with the top off?